X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'll have to pick up Ancient Green Lewis for myself soon. I was also looking at the Rannoch in Bracken; has anyone purchased those?

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to SunriseEarth For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the camp that says virtually any color hose will be OK with virtually any tartan. I relocated there from the camp that says they should match.
    I have in my drawer Lewis and Rannoch hose in claret, purple, mustard, Lovat blue, Lovat green, grey, bison, and the salmon pink. I mostly wear
    with a different color garter tie just for the color effect. I do take into account what shirt and which tartan, but the flexibility is pretty amazing.
    Just put on and go with a smile; if someone says anything, just say Scots do color differently with the kilt. Grin and mention it's taking a little getting
    used to, but you're enjoying the journey.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dollander View Post
    Okay, I know the last post on this was nine days ago, but the weather has prevented me from taking this until now (and I couldn't do it indoors because the lighting in my apartment is terrible...and it's kind of a pigsty ). But if you're still curious how the ancient green hose will look with a Black Watch kilt, here they are with my MacCallum Modern...so just try to imagine it without the pale blue stripes and you'll get the general idea.
    Attachment 32892
    Thank you Dollander, that entire outfit looks fantastic!
    My ancient green Lewis hose came today,so now I know how good they look in person,very pleased with the color.They do look different than the online pics from Amazon...but its a better different.
    What are those nice boots?
    Last edited by tokareva; 16th January 18 at 06:22 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to wear whatever colour I like. A little while ago I had a pair of hose knit for me in a heather colour.

I also recently picked up a pair of orange hose from House of Cheviot

Claret works well with just about any tartan

Oh and it is hard to go wrong with mustard

7. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SunriseEarth View Post
    I was also looking at the Rannoch in Bracken; has anyone purchased those?
    I have. I quite like them.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Arnot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! ! Here we go again! All this matching up of stuff! Forget the saxon attire conventions! You are wearing the kilt which has a completely different tradition, coming from a completely different set of roots.Traditional kilt attire, or even just kilt attire, bothers little about matching anything.
    PHEW! From now on, I won't bother to match my left hose with my right - blue hose on one leg? So, what!? Red hose on the other!

Your point is still important to remember if we want to get it right. A point for the matchy-matchy side is that it works outside of Scotland; otherwise, we will no doubt get someone saying, "Hey, you're wearing unmatched leathers!" Then, we have to explain the no-matchy-matchy point when we'd rather be savo(u)ring a whisky.

Then, there's trying to explain it to the wife......(That's always a no-win situation.)
    Last edited by Jack Daw; 17th January 18 at 06:44 AM.

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jack Daw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are my new socks, these things are great!
    Wish that I had started with these to begin with.The front view is the real color,the back view had too much light.Everything look OK?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030496_kindlephoto-177961431.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	32896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030490_kindlephoto-177748694.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	260.7 KB 
ID:	32897
    Last edited by tokareva; 17th January 18 at 04:29 PM.

13. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to tokareva For This Useful Post:

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tokareva View Post
    Everything look OK?
    Yes, very nice. I wear that color hose with a kilt in that tartan quite regularly.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Arnot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Dollander, that entire outfit looks fantastic!
    My ancient green Lewis hose came today,so now I know how good they look in person,very pleased with the color.They do look different than the online pics from Amazon...but its a better different.
    What are those nice boots?
    Why, thank you. And, the boots are Florsheim Capital wingtips. They're the only wingtip boots I could find in wide that didn't cost several hundred dollars, though I did replace the hooks at the top with more eyelets, which in turn required me to lace them in a "ladder" style lest they not loosen enough to get them on with those ghillie brogue tassels in place...

Keep in mind that the excess light is having the same effect on the tartan as it does on the hose, so the overall effect is the same. Either way, it looks good. While I do tend stick to Gaelic Themes standard hose for everyday wear and reserve the Lewis hose for dressing up, it's obvious from your pic they they're not so fancy as to look out of place with a casual outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daw View Post
    Your point is still important to remember if we want to get it right. A point for the matchy-matchy side is that it works outside of Scotland.
    Exactly. As I'm quick to point out, I'm not a Scot, I'm an American with Scottish (and Italian, German, etc.) ancestry who likes wearing kilts. So as I said in my own thread about Lewis hose colors, I'm not trying to look like an Authentic Scotsman™. For me it's an ongoing process of cultivating a look that respects tradition without being bound by it, and that works in an American context while also being an expression of my own personal style...as well as keeping within the budget of a glorified factory grunt. I do like the look of the Argyll jacket, though as you can see from my pic, I replaced the square chrome buttons with round antiqued ones from Jo-Ann, as well as adding a second button to the front. But if affordable kilt-cut blazers and sport coats were readily available, I may just as easily have gone with that instead. Meanwhile, the boots are as much practical as they are aesthetic. I mentioned that those Florsheims are wides, but I have narrow heels and slender ankles. And since I can't afford custom shoes, I have to wear a crew sock over my hose and fold the cuff down to fill in the space, so my shoes have something to grip and don't ride up and down and give me blisters...and that only works with a boot.
    Last edited by Dollander; 22nd January 18 at 01:24 AM.

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Dollander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are my new socks, these things are great!
    Wish that I had started with these to begin with.The front view is the real color,the back view had too much light.Everything look OK?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030496_kindlephoto-177961431.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	32896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030490_kindlephoto-177748694.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	260.7 KB 
ID:	32897
    I just picked up my Lovat Green Lewis hose, and they pretty much look like the picture on the right of your Ancient Green. I definitely like them!

19. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to SunriseEarth For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast