X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SunriseEarth View Post
    I just picked up my Lovat Green Lewis hose, and they pretty much look like the picture on the right of your Ancient Green. I definitely like them!
    Glad to hear you like them, I'm still waiting for my backordered pair, should have waited a day or two for Amazon to restock I guess.
    Last edited by tokareva; 31st January 18 at 08:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tokareva View Post
    Glad to hear you like them, I'm still waiting for my backordered pair, should have waited a day or two for Amazon to restock I guess.
    I got mine direct from their website. They appeared to be having a sale when I ordered.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! !
    Pure awesomeness.

Here we go again! All this matching up of stuff! Forget the saxon attire conventions!
    Or turned another way, remember the Saxon attire conventions... because in Saxon dress you wouldn't wear a Navy Blue suit with a Navy Blue shirt and a Navy Blue necktie.

Yet people want to do the equivalent to that in Highland Dress.

With a Saxon suit the three main areas of colour are suit, shirt, and tie.

In Highland Dress the three main areas of colour are the kilt, hose, and jacket.

Please do use the Saxon suit as your guide, and co-ordinate rather than match these three.

(Of course the Highland exception is the full tartan outfit... which BTW in the old days would often be of different tartans.)

Probably my favourite Highland Dress image of all time, the gloriously non-matching hose and jacket. It's brilliant.

The jacket and hose use colours which don't occur in the kilt. I learned much from this.

Here my Cheviot hose (to bring the thing back on song) and flashes and shirt and necktie are all colours which do not occur in the kilt. (The jacket not so much!)

By the way the "Ancient Blue" pipe band sock and the "Ancient Blue" Rannoch sock look to be quite different colours in the House Of Cheviot page below:

(The Pipe Band sock reminds me of "Saint Andrews Blue".)

https://www.houseofcheviot.com/highl.../kilt-wear?p=2
    Last edited by OC Richard; 9th June 18 at 05:27 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

PatrickHughes123 is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    I'm with Jock on this one. You'll find those mustard yellow hose work well with any kilt, especially one with some green or blue in it (which probably includes the majority of tartans). Lovat and Ancient green will also work great with pretty much any tartan. Frankly, I don't know if any hose colors that are available that would "clash" with a tartan, although you might want to avoid wearing the argyle tartan hose in a different color family than your kilt.

Experiment and enjoy!

Andrew
    Well, imagine a yellow tartan kilt with white hose, that would clash because they match too much. I think black hose would be better for a yellow tartan kilt or any light-coloured kilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tokareva View Post
    I've been buying the more economical Glenmore and Glencoe hose but decided to splurge and order a pair of Lewis hose, mostly because my new Black Watch is in the mail and should be here Tuesday. Its 16 oz. Marton Mills fabric.

I initially ordered Lovat green but they are on backorder, so I sent an e-mail today and asked them to change the socks to Ancient green, I think they will be more versatile and I can buy a cheaper pair of Lovat green socks.

I particularly like the way the Ancient green looks with the Scottish National kilt, which I'm planning on getting and I believe the Ancient green would also go with the Pakistani Douglas I have on order. Which green is better Lovat or Ancient?Attachment 32806Attachment 32807Attachment 32808

They both look great. It is just a matter of choosing, which I now you have already dealt with.

Personally, I wouldn't wear green solid-colour hose, but everyone is different.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to PatrickHughes123 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look great. Which we knew they would. I will, however, take this opportunity to demonstrate how easily a US size 12 fits
    into my mouth. Now that you have what you have, and feel comfortable with them, wear them. A lot. And while doing so, save
    up for a pair of mustard and pair of claret. Prepare to be amazed and delighted. And if for some unexpected reason you don't
    care for how they look, but have invested the hundred bucks and need to do something with the hose, just get another kilt in
    a tartan you think will go with them.

See, the advantage of becoming a part of a community like this one is that we look out for each other. Anyone all by themselves
    can feel they're spending too much money. Here you get folk who'll support you're getting what you really want. More kilts.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! ! Here we go again! All this matching up of stuff! Forget the saxon attire conventions! You are wearing the kilt which has a completely different tradition, coming from a completely different set of roots.Traditional kilt attire, or even just kilt attire, bothers little about matching anything.
    Jock, I understand completely! You need to remember that the final result must not offend the eye while looking in the mirror across the Atlantic Ocean.
    Commissioner of Clan Strachan, Central United States.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Fedgunner For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An interesting observation. It took 20 years for me to purchase claret and mustard hose. Now I'm so much more open to color options. I even wore a yellow shirt with a red tie!
    Commissioner of Clan Strachan, Central United States.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Fedgunner For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gottem

Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    They look great. Which we knew they would. I will, however, take this opportunity to demonstrate how easily a US size 12 fits
    into my mouth. Now that you have what you have, and feel comfortable with them, wear them. A lot. And while doing so, save
    up for a pair of mustard and pair of claret. Prepare to be amazed and delighted. And if for some unexpected reason you don't
    care for how they look, but have invested the hundred bucks and need to do something with the hose, just get another kilt in
    a tartan you think will go with them.

See, the advantage of becoming a part of a community like this one is that we look out for each other. Anyone all by themselves
    can feel they're spending too much money. Here you get folk who'll support you're getting what you really want. More kilts.
    I have a half dozen different colours of hose but both Mustard Yellow and Claret, are the ones I go to most often, and both are House of Cheviot Rannoch style ......I will say this also, besides the colour, it is the quality that is outstanding .....It is best to save your pennies for just a wee while longer and buy QUALITY, not only will they make you exceedingly happy, but will do so for a great long while, just my opinion

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiple Options

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    I have a half dozen different colours of hose but both Mustard Yellow and Claret, are the ones I go to most often, and both are House of Cheviot Rannoch style ......I will say this also, besides the colour, it is the quality that is outstanding .....It is best to save your pennies for just a wee while longer and buy QUALITY, not only will they make you exceedingly happy, but will do so for a great long while, just my opinion
    I'm Jock will agree when I say, I am a true Scotsman, because I only, for the most part have one of everything. One sporran, plaid, Ghillie shirt, pair of hose and brogues. I do have two bonnets and four kilt pins though.

I just find it weird that people are talking about having several pairs of hose or several kilts, I only need one, of everything.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast