X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickHughes123 View Post
    I'm Jock will agree when I say, I am a true Scotsman, because I only, for the most part have one of everything. One sporran, plaid, Ghillie shirt, pair of hose and brogues. I do have two bonnets and four kilt pins though.

I just find it weird that people are talking about having several pairs of hose or several kilts, I only need one, of everything.
    Patrick, fair enough, my father has lived his entire life with one kilt in the closet and one sporran, he gave them both to me some years ago as the kilt shrunk in the closet, as they do. However more than one pair of hose is to my mind a necessity, especially if you are wearing the kilt for more than the odd event.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    especially if you are wearing the kilt for more than the odd event.
    I agree. Of course, I should clarify by adding that pretty much any event that will allow me in is by nature gonna be pretty odd.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    Patrick, fair enough, my father has lived his entire life with one kilt in the closet and one sporran, he gave them both to me some years ago as the kilt shrunk in the closet, as they do. However more than one pair of hose is to my mind a necessity, especially if you are wearing the kilt for more than the odd event.
    That's certainly so if you wash them regularly.

Mine get washed after every use like any other sock and since they have different wash requirements than any other clothing I have (cold water, gentle cycle), I like to do them all at once.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your hose are wool or mainly wool and you want them to last, there is only one thing to do; wear once and then gently wash the hose. Doing that will ensure that they will last for quite some time, ignore the advice and you will be hose-less in double quick time!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    If your hose are wool or mainly wool and you want them to last, there is only one thing to do; wear once and then gently wash the hose. Doing that will ensure that they will last for quite some time, ignore the advice and you will be hose-less in double quick time!
    Absolutely. I wear house of cheviot glenmore hose and the tag gave those same care instructions. And for $30 usd a pair I'm certainly going to take the best care of them that I can. Even more so if I get the more expensive Lewis or diced hose down the line.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haw can you get by with only one pair of hoser?

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I dance - you know, Scottish Country Dancing - four or five days each week, six if there is a social on a Saturday. As I let on to Tobus a few weeks ago, I do have more than 10 pairs of hose - necessarily, because I need a fresh pair 5 or 6 times a week. So that means that every fortnight or so, I put 10 pairs of hose through the washing machine (gentle wool-wash cycle, with a eucalyptus wool-wash detergent). While they are drying, I need to have a few pairs to get me launched into the next week. Well, actually, I have a few more than a few pairs to launch into next week.

But look at the variety of colours that I can look forward to in the hose box! (Did I say box? There might be more than one.) I might have (and ignore) more than one pair of white or cream or ecru hose, and I'm sure I've got a pair called Buffalo, but I don't need to pull them out, either.

So, to go to the point of the OP, if you can afford to purchase both Lovat green and Ancient green hose, why would you not have both colours? Then you can make the choice afresh each day, depending on your whim, or the prevailing weather or lighting conditions, or possibly on whether you haven't washed all your other hose! But I agree with Jock, never wear your hose more than once!!

And note that I have been silent to this point about your hose matching or complementing your kilt - your kilt is your kilt, and if your hose match or complement the other elements of your attire, that is enough!
    Last edited by Grizzled Ian; 19th June 18 at 05:54 AM.
    Grizzled Ian
    XMTS teaches much about formal kilt wear, but otherwise,
    ... the kilt is clothes, what you wear with it should be what you find best suits you and your lifestyle. (Anne the Pleater)
    "Sometimes, it is better not to know the facts" (Father Bill)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedgunner View Post
    I even wore a red shirt with a yellow tie!

SHAZAM!

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to scratchy For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345