X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Antigonish Highland Games - 2018 - July - Driving from Virgnia to attend......

Greetings,

My wife and I are driving from Northern Virginia up to Antigonish, July 2018 to attend the games. We already have made our reservations at a local B&B. This is very exciting for me, as my Grandfather and Grandmother both come from Antigonish. I am a MacDonald (MacBride) and my Grandmother was a Chisholm from South River. Both left in 1915 to settle in the US. My Grandfather, my uncle and father (both his sons), travelled back to attend the games a few times.

I am very excited, and waiting for April or May to book the Ferry, and finalize the trip. I have done extensive family research, especially on the MacDonald side, and know my ancestors departed Fort Williams in 1789, arrived 1790 on the Brigantine "Nora" Cape Bretton, and were the pioneers that settled Marydale in St. Andrews. The Chisholm's arrive on or about 1810. My family's ancestors are in Rev. Randell's book, and is very accurate.

So for the folks up in Antigonish, could you please assist me let me know any facts that I need to know about attending the games. I do have kilts, and I do have an authentic Jacobite impression. Would it be considered rude or weird to wear the Jacobite impression for a day? Yes, I am still Roman Catholic, and hope to do some more family research up there, can somebody recommend a good person able to assist me with looking more up about my family?

What type of dress is worn during the games? Are there any evening dinners or events that I can attend? Please any and all information is greatly appreciated.

This is a trip that has been on the drawing board for many years, and I want to make sure all bases are covered and we get the maximum we can from it.

Thanks
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Collin:

Here is a link for the Games themselves.
    https://www.antigonishhighlandgames.ca/

And a Link for the Antigonish Highland Society
    https://www.antigonishhighlandsociety.ca/

These would be a good place to start, and have contact information that you can use to find out what you need.

We talked previously about the Games, where I grew up in Antigonish, with the last time I attended the Games was in 1993.

My Great Grandfather Alexander Fraser who immigrated to Antigonish from Scotland in the mid 1800's, married Isabel Chisholm. Her Parents were Alexander Chisholm and Katherine Hunter. My Branch of the Chisholm, Hunter, and Fraser Families were Protestants, My Dad immigrated from Edinburgh in the 1920's.

Hope the links are a help to you.
    Last edited by Famous Willie; 8th January 18 at 08:28 PM.
    Bill...
    “Canadian Grown and Raised from Scottish Roots!”.....
    "Clan Farquharson, & Clan Fraser of Lovat"....