X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As some of you know I have a Hand-Cranked Circular Sock Knitting Machine and I knit custom kilt hose.

One thing that has become very evident is that many people do not know their actual foot size. It seems to be quite common for people to assume their size based on what size shoe fit them the last time they bought shoes.

Just like we so often see people assume their waist size based on the size of the last pair of jeans the bought.

Just as different brands of jeans are are listed as different sizes, today in the US there are at least seven different sizing methods used by different shoe makers. In the UK and Europe there are anothe four systems in use.

May I suggest that if you have an old style shoe store near you, that you go in and get sized with what is called a Brannock Device.

This simple device has been the worlds standard for generations.

This will give you not only the lenght of your feet but the width.

Then put a tape measure around your calf and find the circumference.

All of this information will help to insure you get a well fitting pair of hose for your hard earned money.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen hose that list the calf circumference. Every retailer I have encountered only lists hose by shoe size, and even then only by a range (6-8, 8-10, etc). Other than a custom knit pair, where do you find hose that require such precision?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wareyin View Post
    ... Other than a custom knit pair, where do you find hose that require such precision?
    Nowhere. But he's talking about custom knit hose which he'll make for you if you want... with the correct calf circumference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been pleased with hose from shootingsocks.co.uk. I purchased three pair and got another pair free. They have a great selection and cover all price points. I'm impressed with the quality. Make sure to get some garters. I enjoy mixing hose and garter colors. Only downside is that the shipping was almost $50 from the UK to Texas, almost half the price of the hose.

This is The Collington cushion foot in harvest gold.

Last edited by HighPlainsFergus; 11th January 18 at 12:30 PM.

6. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to HighPlainsFergus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen hose that list the calf circumference.
    I can't remember seeing it for mass produced selfcoloured hose, but of course it's required for traditionally made diced and tartan hose, for which you need calf circumference and also height, because the turnover is designed to fold over at one specific place- anywhere else and the pattern doesn't match up.

Another vote for Cheviot hose.

I've worn the same Ancient Blue pair for years now and they still look great.

At one Highland Games a few years ago our band issued new (black) hose to everybody on Saturday morning- by the end of the day mine had holes in toes and heels. I switched back to my black Lochcarron hose that I got in the 1980s which are still fine.

Those horrible new hose came from a well-known UK supplier. I'm convinced they were made in Pakistan.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 12th January 18 at 06:09 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lewis Hose - House of Cheviot

I presently have four pair of the Lewis hose and highly recommend them! I don't see the point of buying cheap thin hose that don't last and look like poorly adapted knee socks with a narrow turnover. The Lewis hose last remarkably well when you look after them, as Jock mentioned you should wash them after EACH use! I hand wash mine with a mild liquid soap for wool and rinse well. Don't ring them out, gently squeeze as much water out as you can and hang to dry.
    They're reasonably priced, look quite nice and last very well. Steve and Rocky both carry a variety of colours and I'm sure would be happ to help you out!
    Being male is a matter of birth,
    Being a man is a matter of maturity,
    Being a gentleman is a matter of choice!

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to MacCathmhaoil For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen hose that list the calf circumference. Every retailer I have encountered only lists hose by shoe size, and even then only by a range (6-8, 8-10, etc). Other than a custom knit pair, where do you find hose that require such precision?
    USA Kilts has handmade wool hose that you can choose under 20" and over 21". I'd need one of each.

'
    American by birth, human by coincidence and earthling by mistake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12