X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ontario Box-Pleat DIY Attempt

Pretty new here, I've lurked for a while, which (along with some beers I received over the holidays) has given me the courage to jump into giving a go at making up a kilt.

Our local fabric store (Fabricland) was having a boxing day sale, so I picked up 5 yards of "Ontario Tartan". It's not wool, which is good by me as I try to avoid wearing animals. That being said, the fabric is kind of lightweight, which means this will likely be a "casual kilt" or even a camping kilt, so I went for a less formal box pleat.

I have a 'mass produced' knife pleat kilt which I used for some reference, and I downloaded the pdf manual for box pleating. Honestly, I sort of went rogue, so I know this isn't a "traditional" kilt anymore. But for a fun project, it was just that.

image1.jpg
    If images are working, this is a picture of my second pin-up. My first pinning didn't have a shape on the apron (or under-apron) which I didn't like. So after conferencing with The Wife™ and my cat assistant, I re-pinned with a shaped apron.

image2.jpg
    If this image is working; here we are all sewn (mostly) up.

After this pic I attached the buckles, hemmed the bottom, added a waistband and belt loops, weeded the fringe, and fell asleep.

Hopefully tonight I can make time for pressing this out and we can see if it's on point. Then I can clean up the millions of little threads that need to be trimmed.
    I did try wearing it for a moment, it fits (unfortunately...I need to lose a few pounds, I was hoping it would be too big) but without being pressed, it looks too deformed to really appreciate.

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Adoom For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost there

Here's the closer to the end pics. Pressed, trimmed, I think I will add a stabilizer and liner at the top.

image1.jpg
    Excuse the floor, I guess I need to sweep!

image2.jpg

And of course the "wearing shot". It was at this point I realized the waistband is going to drive me nuts as it doesn't align with the rest of the pattern.
    image3.jpg

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Adoom For This Useful Post: