X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My impression is that dirks are neither traditional in modern Highland dress beyond certain ceremonial uses, as mentioned above by others, or practical as either a simple cutting tool or even a defensive weapon (unless all you have to worry about are highwaymen armed with clubs).

Because of that, I personally find them to be overly theatrical and smacking of costume much like a claymore would be. I get the impression that people who wear dirks just want to be seen wearing a dirk, which is fine for a pipe major or an officiant at a burns supper (indeed it’s the point, ha point!) but is probably of questionable taste for casual dress.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Withnell View Post
    I wear a dirk on formal occasions when I wear medals. I sometimes wear a belt knife both when I'm kilted, and when in trousers. But a kirk is too large to wear comfortably just casually.
    Yes, a kirk is a wee large to get away with wearing casually, one should only be worn on special occasions and even then it's best worn perched on the head with the bells uppermost. Anywhere else and you're likely to pitch sideways.

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Damion For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we exclude the military, pipers and the occasional re-enactor, I think for many experienced day to day kilt wearers in Scotland the sight of some one wearing a dirk with their day or casual kilt attire is almost a sure signal of ignorance of how things are done. Pure Brigadoonary if you like. There is the occasional exception!

You might on very rare occasion see a Laird dressed in day attire(tweed jacket, tie etc..)carrying a dirk. He might be wearing it on a whim, or more likely representing the estate or Clan at some minor function. These cases are very few and far and between and should not be regarded as normal practice for the majority of kilt wearers.

Again, a very few dirks will be carried on dress occasions either and care must be taken in making assumptions from pictures on the internet on how "normal" it is. Suffice to say it isn't normal, but some experienced kilt wearers might on a rare occasion wear a dirk and usually for a very specific reason.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 15th January 18 at 04:57 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post deleted. Dual post.

J.S.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 15th January 18 at 03:56 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damion View Post
    Yes, a kirk is a wee large to get away with wearing casually, one should only be worn on special occasions and even then it's best worn perched on the head with the bells uppermost. Anywhere else and you're likely to pitch sideways.
    I hate autocorrect.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of like wearing a cummerbund, medals, and bow-tie with jeans and a tee-shirt.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

10. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Withnell View Post
    I hate autocorrect.
    Mine kept turning dirk into “dork.”
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm always amazed at the variant misspellings I get when I try to type a comment on the small sock knife so often worn with the kilt. You know the "again dupe"? Or is it "skin duh"?

Andrew

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use autocorrect, but can't you add those words to your digital dictionary? I can with those bits of my software that have spell-checkers.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding modern kilt wearing and modern cutlery I'm a practical man and a tool user. My knife is a tool that I carry everywhere legal to do so. My "sigan dubh" is a Spyderco folding clip knife that for lack of a more practical place to carry it kilted is at the top of my left sock. Nothing fancy, just available when needed. I sometimes practical wins over traditional.
    You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
    Sir Timothy

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taj For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast