X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think those two pictures are entirely different in execution, purpose, and intent.

The upper one is a work of fine art almost certainly painted from life, that is, from direct personal observation of the subjects. It would have been painted because the artist wanted to paint it, or perhaps it is a commissioned portrait of an aristocrat.

The lower one is an illustration created in the illustrator's work-place using stock formulaic figures, poses, costumes, props, and backgrounds. It would have been done as a routine job assignment, most probably by a person who had never seen the activity in question.

(EDIT: I initially only looked at the paintings... when I'm doing that I tend to ignore verbiage. I see that the upper painting is indeed a commissioned portrait of an aristocrat. I'm quite sure that the subject was dressed exactly how the painter painted him- that was expected of portrait painters at that time.)
    Last edited by OC Richard; 23rd January 18 at 06:50 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two dirks, both of which hang on the wall for looking at. One is the sort you'd see a drum Major sporting that I bought years ago at a sale; the other is dressy and looks kind of pretty if totally useless.

The dressy one with the stones and little knife and fork I use for cutting the Haggis once a year (although I will miss this year's celebration of the Bard). I think I may have worn it when getting dressed up years ago for a ball, but as I recall, it was such a nuisance that I never tried it again. Kept poking me in the gut.

I thought I cut a dashing figure with the fur sporran and bejeweled dirk, but I'm not sure. Ha. Maybe I just looked a little goofy, but, damn, I felt fine. I was wearing a double breasted doublet with all the lace and tartan hose.

Come to think of it, I did cut a dashing figure.

But otherwise, I would not wear a dirk. Jock's right about the Brigadoonish look. LOL
    Last edited by thescot; 23rd January 18 at 02:07 PM.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to thescot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thescot View Post
    I have two dirks, both of which hang on the wall for looking at. One is the sort you'd see a drum Major sporting that I bought years ago at a sale; the other is dressy and looks kind of pretty if totally useless.

The dressy one with the stones and little knife and fork I use for cutting the Haggis once a year (although I will miss this year's celebration of the Bard). I think I may have worn it when getting dressed up years ago for a ball, but as I recall, it was such a nuisance that I never tried it again. Kept poking me in the gut.

I thought I cut a dashing figure with the fur sporran and bejeweled dirk, but I'm not sure. Ha. Maybe I just looked a little goofy, but, damn, I felt fine. I was wearing a double breasted doublet with all the lace and tartan hose.

Come to think of it, I did cut a dashing figure.

But otherwise, I would not wear a dirk. Jock's right about the Brigadoonish look. LOL
    I am much the same. I have 2 dirks tha have only seen service at weddings to cut the cake and at the rare occasion when I don my great kilt as part of the costume.
    Great to see you posting again.
    Slainte
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would just like to add my tuppence.

There is no doubt that kilt attire changes with times and in some cases laws. When Scottish soldiers carried dirks it was part of their weaponry. With the introduction of the bayonet, the dirk was gradually withdrawn and the bayonet was carried. We always had plenty to carry.
    The law in the UK is that knives must be under 3 inches. So in keeping up with law I dress appropriately .

The wearing of a dirk I fine appropriate for a military piper, not for anyone else.

I see that the Scottish American Military Society wear a dirk with their kilts. I am a member and I do not, it was never part of my uniform. I do not wear a kilt for ceremonial duties either, my ceremonial dress is trews, however for more "casual events" I wear my one of my kilts.

The kilt changes with times!
    Aye Yours

Jim

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to carlisle401 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both Scottish and English/ Welsh laws specifically permit the wearing of Sgian dubh of up to 3.5 inch blade length. (3 inches is for pen knives only). But in Scotland a Dirk would also be permitted.
    Carrying of larger weapons is permitted for justifiable reasons only. So if you are the civillian lord lieutenant of a county you'll get away with it in full dress mufti. Or as part of a reenactment event. But going to or from the event you'll be expected to not wear the sword or Dirk but have it locked in a box in the boot of your car.
    In Scotland, it is legal under the Criminal Law (Consolidation) (Scotland) Act 1995 Sec. 49, Sub-sec. 5(c) to wear a sgian-dubh, or other weapon, as part of any national costume.

In England and Wales, it is legal under the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (section 139)[7] and the Offensive Weapons Act 1996 (section 3 and 4)[8] for someone wearing the national costume of Scotland to carry a sgian-dubh
    Last edited by The Q; 24th January 18 at 11:55 AM.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    Both Scottish and English/ Welsh laws specifically permit the wearing of Sgian dubh of up to 3.5 inch blade length. (3 inches is for pen knives only). But in Scotland a Dirk would also be permitted.
    Carrying of larger weapons is permitted for justifiable reasons only. So if you are the civillian lord lieutenant of a county you'll get away with it in full dress mufti. Or as part of a reenactment event. But going to or from the event you'll be expected to not wear the sword or Dirk but have it locked in a box in the boot of your car.

In Scotland, it is legal under the Criminal Law (Consolidation) (Scotland) Act 1995 Sec. 49, Sub-sec. 5(c) to wear a sgian-dubh, or other weapon, as part of any national costume.

In England and Wales, it is legal under the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (section 139)[7] and the Offensive Weapons Act 1996 (section 3 and 4)[8] for someone wearing the national costume of Scotland to carry a sgian-dubh

Thanks for the info. I prefer the modern way, but that is just my opinion.
    Aye Yours

Jim

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carlisle401 View Post
    Would just like to add my tuppence.

There is no doubt that kilt attire changes with times and in some cases laws. When Scottish soldiers carried dirks it was part of their weaponry. With the introduction of the bayonet, the dirk was gradually withdrawn and the bayonet was carried. We always had plenty to carry.
    The law in the UK is that knives must be under 3 inches. So in keeping up with law I dress appropriately .

The wearing of a dirk I fine appropriate for a military piper, not for anyone else.

I see that the Scottish American Military Society wear a dirk with their kilts. I am a member and I do not, it was never part of my uniform. I do not wear a kilt for ceremonial duties either, my ceremonial dress is trews, however for more "casual events" I wear my one of my kilts.

The kilt changes with times!
    SAMS is usually pretty flexible. As the regional commander here in the Mid-Atlantic states says "We are not a military organization, we are a veterans' organization"
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Geoff Withnell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Withnell View Post
    SAMS is usually pretty flexible. As the regional commander here in the Mid-Atlantic states says "We are not a military organization, we are a veterans' organization"
    Indeed they are! What I meant I am probably the only member who wears his original uniform, except for the shirt in SAMS.
    Aye Yours

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wearing a dirk in the United States.

As a pallbearer and a participant in a funeral ceremony for an honored friend of mine, I wore both the dirk and a saber during a funeral in a Catholic church in the United States, specifically, Danville, Virginia. During "Present, Arms," I and another former soldier drew our sabers and honors and flourishes were performed, then we sheathed our sabers and swords, and continued with the ceremony. Our laws and traditions are VERY different from those of the U.K. and I ask that you not violate the laws of your locality. That being said, the family of our deceased friend was appreciative of the honors rendered. Airborne, All the Way!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LT Alan Briley, RN View Post
    As a pallbearer and a participant in a funeral ceremony for an honored friend of mine, I wore both the dirk and a saber during a funeral in a Catholic church in the United States, specifically, Danville, Virginia. During "Present, Arms," I and another former soldier drew our sabers and honors and flourishes were performed, then we sheathed our sabers and swords, and continued with the ceremony. Our laws and traditions are VERY different from those of the U.K. and I ask that you not violate the laws of your locality. That being said, the family of our deceased friend was appreciative of the honors rendered. Airborne, All the Way!
    Interesting that you should post this today. Tomorrow, I will visit a church in Phoenix, AZ to plan an Color Guard. The minister has asked for swords, which I am against as I served with the British Army and the only Regiment I know of posted guards outside the church were Cameronians.
    I am not keen on having swords. Is it common to have weapons in Church here?
    Aye Yours

Jim

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast