X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

top Scottish boy's names

I came across this online. I don't know what source it's based on.

But for us in the Scottish diaspora (like myself, an American who has spent the vast majority of my life in the Scottish-American community) it makes for interesting reading:

"These are the most popular boys' names in Scotland for 2015
    1 Jack
    2 Oliver
    3 James
    4 Lewis
    5 Alexander
    6 Charlie
    7 Lucas
    8 Logan
    9 Harris
    10 Daniel
    11 Finlay
    12 Jacob
    13 Leo
    14 Mason
    15 Noah
    16 Harry
    17 Alfie
    18 Max
    19 Callum
    20 Aaron
    21 Adam
    22 Thomas
    23 Ethan
    24 Rory
    25 Cameron
    26 Archie
    27 Oscar
    28 Matthew
    29 Nathan
    30 Joshua
    31 Brodie
    32 William
    33 Liam
    34 Ryan
    35 Jamie
    36 Harrison
    37 Joseph
    38 Dylan
    39 Samuel
    40 Riley
    41 David
    42 Ollie
    43 Andrew
    44 Connor
    45 Luke
    46 Muhammad
    47 Jaxon
    48 Kyle
    49 Benjamin
    50 Michael
    51 Caleb
    52 Jackson
    53 George
    54 Finn
    55 Leon
    56 Fraser
    57 Murray
    58 Jake
    59 John
    60 Arran
    61 Angus
    62 Cole
    63 Robert
    64 Cooper
    65 Isaac
    66 Jayden
    67 Aiden
    68 Kai
    69 Theo
    70 Jude
    71 Ben
    72 Tyler
    73 Ruaridh
    74 Owen
    75 Blake
    76 Freddie
    77 Euan
    78 Josh
    79 Blair
    80 Robbie
    81 Hamish
    82 Kian
    83 Sam
    84 Aidan
    85 Jay
    86 Christopher
    87 Reuben
    88 Cody
    89 Luca
    90 Lachlan
    91 Elliot
    92 Evan
    93 Sonny
    94 Calum
    95 Henry
    96 Rhys
    97 Carson
    98 Harvey
    99 Calvin
    100 Callan"

I think it's nice to see distinctively Scottish names like Finlay, Angus, Rory/Ruaridh, Cameron, Fraser, Murray, Euan, Blair, Hamish, Lachlan, and Callum make the list.

And some Scottish place-names like Kyle, Harris, and Arran.

I notice something that always shows up on US baby names lists: people naming their babies with nicknames rather than the full original names, on this list for example Jack, Charlie, Leo, Archie, Jamie, Ben, Freddie, Sam, Robbie, Max, Josh, Alfie, and Theo.

In this way both Harry and Harrison, Jack and John make the list.

I notice some Irish and Welsh names appearing, though of course there are Celtic names common to the three countries(often with a change in spelling) giving us Euan and Owen.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 17th January 18 at 04:25 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perturbed to see John at 59, but if Jack is what is on your birth certificate then it is not short for any other name. Most interesting list.

It is interesting that that names that were old hat when I was a lad like George or Alfie (not Alfred of course), are making a bit of a comeback and names that are really surnames are becoming more popular like Mason or Brodie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are the 2017 figures
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42409512

Alan

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two absences I noticed were Richard and Patrick.

With Scotland's large Irish-ancestry population I did expect Patrick.

About your John/Jack point, to play devil's advocate I'll take the side that somebody's not knowing that Jack is a nickname for John doesn't change the fact that it is.

But yes what your parents name you is what your name is.

Which brings to mind a story I heard as a kid back in Appalachia. The background is that boys are often known by their first two initials (while girls are called their full first and middle names) so back there I would be called RD and my sisters would be called Barbara Jean and Patty Ann.

Well, there was a boy whose parents named him RB. Just those two letters. In town it didn't draw attention to itself because there were RD's and JB's and such all over.

Then the war* came, and young RB joined the army.

RB walks up to the typist/clerk who asks him "Name?"

"RB Smith."

"Full Name?"

"That is my full name. R and B don't stand for anything. My parents just named me RB."

The clerk pondered for a moment, and typed

R (only) B (only) Smith

When RB's paperwork was processed his name came out as Ronly Bonly Smith.

It stuck... and after the war when he returned to town he was known as Ronly Bonly the rest of his life.

* "the war": when the old people would sit around and tell these stories there was almost never any clue as to time period. People have long memories there, and "the war" might mean a recent war, though this is unlikely. It could mean WWII. Or WWI. Just as likely it means the Civil War.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 17th January 18 at 05:26 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    Here are the 2017 figures
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42409512

Alan
    I see there hasn't been a sea-change, looks like those names are on the 2015 list too.

BTW I read an interesting article about baby-names in the US, how fads happen for particular names.

The interesting thing was that what seemed logical on the surface wasn't borne out by the reality.

So... there would be a famous politician or movie star or book or film character and then their name would become popular for babies.

Seems logical: there's a name in the public eye, and people start naming their babies after the famous person or character.

But when they searched through birth records they found, over and over, that the name was already getting popular before the famous person had risen to fame, before the book was published or the movie began production that featured a character with a name which became a fad. Yes the baby-name peaked in popularity when the famous name was in the news, but it's popularity had already been on the rise.

This happened to my wife and I. We had chosen the name "Ross" for our boy long before he was born. It's a fairly rare name here, and at the time I'd only known one Ross, the son of local Scottish immigrants.

But around the time our Ross was born suddenly the name was all over the news, with a Ross running for President of the US and a Ross character on a hit TV show. I'm guessing that people, seeing when our Ross was born, might guess he's named for one of those people.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 17th January 18 at 05:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of points from the 2015 - 2017 lists: Alexander remains in the top 10, but Alistair is not; one nephew I have is named Jack (#1), not John, despite the latter being a big family name, so I'm not as disappointed; and, Mohammed has climbed 11 places in 2017 to #36.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's also interesting to note the appearance of variant spellings, as in Jaxon and Jackson. This is something we see lots of in US baby names, with things like Brittany/Britney/Britanee, etc.

In addition, the "unusual" names on the Scottish list are nearly all Gaelic/Scottish names of long standing (Rory, Hamish, etc.). US baby names are often of the "creative" sort, with odd new coinages sometimes gaining widespread popularity, such as the rise of names like "Jace," strange one-offs like "Naquavia," andeven kids named after brands, such as "Lexus" or "Timberland."

Andrew (a name much more popular now than when I was born).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayhay! I made the top 5; that doesn’t happen often 😜
    I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two of my names are very Scottish. ALLAN/ALAN/ALLEN and my middle name COLLIN (Scottish) and Colin (Irish) are very Gaelic, yet missing???? Yet Collin/Colin has become a fairly popular in US and
    Canada now. Very disappointing....Please understand my post is not meant to be egotistical, but generations of MacDonald, Clanranald, Sleet, Skye etc. has many Collin/Colin, Allan's, Agnus, Alexander, and especially Archibald, and Donald. Wonder why they are missing? Now those are real SCOTTISH names...

Surprised Jamie and Claire (Outlander) has not gained in popularity. I understand, just recently the Outlander Series has finally been release in Scotland on public TV, only available on pay TV, and not publicized, you might see a gain in popularity with those names this year.

My daughter named my Grandkids"

Andrew, Grace, and William..... I call them the "Royal Family".. My daughter has a very strong Scottish name, Laurie Ann. Funny but Elizabeth, Mary, Marion, Kay, Bridget, and especially Margaret, are either low or not there, and yet VERY Scottish

CHEERS
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 17th January 18 at 11:04 AM.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Dads name is Duncan, which I think isn't there,
    And his brothers were
    Malcolm,
    Colin,
    Ian,
    Eugene
    Their names are also missing.

My first name is also missing as is my middle name, but since I'm the only one in the UK with the first name and one of only 175 with my middle name i was expecting that.
    Last edited by The Q; 17th January 18 at 11:48 AM.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast