X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Another Tasmanian Kilt night

Quote Originally Posted by Graham
    We had our monthly meeting last night, a relaxing evening at our house chatting about kilts and a host of other issues, sipping whisky and beer.

Inspired by photos here of Bear and friends' kilt night out on the town we discussed having a kilt night at a local (pretend) Irish Pub.

The only objection we all had was having to put up with tobacco stink in the pub. The last thing we want is our kilts smelling of tobacco.

The Tasmanian Gov. is talking about banning smoking in public places, but are very half hearted about it.

We have a Federal election coming up next month, they are only concerned about votes.

Think I'll phone around to see if there is a non-smoking pub in the area.
    We are fortunate in that all venues in Vancouver are smoke free, and have been for a few years. That doesn't mean we aren't outside a fair bit, but it sure helps with not smelling of smoke. Most of our "Irish" pubs are pretty good except for on weekends when they cater to the imbecile crowds and play top four music. I still say that I have one of the only true Irish pubs in BC near my place. Good food, great beer, no music except for a band on Fridays and Saturdays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin
    Most of our "Irish" pubs are pretty good except for on weekends when they cater to the imbecile crowds and play top four music.
    Wow, you guys are getting hosed in Canada! :o We get a full top fourty here in America!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I wonder, What kind of music do the pubs in Ireland play? Traditional Stuff or Top 40's Stuff?

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pubs in Ireland & Scotland...

10 to 1 it's Country/Western...C/W is very popular in both Ireland & Scotland...my advisor at university tells the story of when he was living in Nashville and the Pipes, Drums and Band of the Black Watch came to town -- they arranged for them to go to the mall, and they bought out the C/W section of the music store!

One of the biggest bluegrass festivals in the UK is held on the walls of Londonderry, Northern Ireland. The Scots & the Ulster-Scots are well aware that their music was the "source" of Country and bluegrass.

Cheers, y'all!

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pubs and bars in Ottawa are all smoke free. The only drawback is that they are full of drunks. I have spent too much time not drinking to enjoy that environment. I like the idea that you have Graham of a friendly evening at someone's home.

Casey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best of luck Graham on your (possible) upcomming outing to the pub (what about a nice restaurant?)

Here in Florida, smoking is prohibited in all restaurants and bars. We have a nice Irish pub we frequent about 15 minutes from home. They have live music (always Irish) 5 days a week, and some pretty good fare. I'm hooked on a local hard cider right now...Kelly's Hard Cider. Going Wednesday night, in fact. Going to see a group called "Guinness".

Hope all goes well for ya, Graham.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus
    Most of our "Irish" pubs are pretty good except for on weekends when they cater to the imbecile crowds and play top four music.
    Wow, you guys are getting hosed in Canada! :o We get a full top fourty here in America!
    We have the top forty too, but I figure only 4 out of the 40 will not make my cringe, so we'll just call it the top 4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But Kilts Night is not about drinking the Fortys. It is about Pints.

Now I have this mental imgae of some kilted guy drinking a brown bagged 40 in a street corner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcmtnbka
    But Kilts Night is not about drinking the Fortys. It is about Pints.

Now I have this mental imgae of some kilted guy drinking a brown bagged 40 in a street corner.
    rolling down the street in his six-four? Easssssy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it's been a long week, and all you got is $1.99, a 40 sounds pretty tempting. My personal fav' was Olde English... just be sure to keep it cold...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast