X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by estimaa View Post
    Well OK, I stop my Welsh lesson (gwers cymraeg).

If you want to learn (at least) some of the language of your fathers, you can do worse than get a phrase book, and listen to Caniadaeth y Cysegr or go to a cymanfa ganu.
    If you want to go deeper read a bit about Howell Harris, William Williams and the Welsh revivals.

A Welsh tartan idea to me is total pseudo nonsense.
    Luckily it's only clothes, I have some Scot+Irish mixed up all into my hotch potch, and I only care about comfort.

A synthetic Stuart black has saved me a fortune in jeans in the last 2 years, and I haven't yet spotted holes appearing in my knees!
    You are right in some respects about the Welsh tartans, but from little acorns, mighty oaks do grow. A tradition has to start somewhere, though I'm thinking 589 is a bit too much for a kilt. Like you, I wear synthetic kilts, utility kilts too. This may just be a luxury I can't afford. As for learning more of the Welsh language, it wouldn't be very useful here in Spain, where I have enough trouble trying to get by with that!
    Gweld Dim Ond Y Gwir

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by inebrius View Post
    Although the local Postmistress put me in a bit of a bind when she asked where my bagpipes were. As she's somewhat matronly, (and / or feeling her oats at that particular moment), my standard response of "under my kilt, love" went unused.
    If you need something a little less risque on occasion, I recommend the tried and tested "A gentleman knows how to play the pipes - but doesn't". With apologies to all the master pipers here!
    Regards, Sav.

"The Sun Never Sets on X-Marks!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find here in Australia that people automatically assume that I'm in a pipe band. Ladies definitely approve of a man boldly wearing a kilt more than men ( who are much more conservative clothing wise here.)
    A story from my youth - I went to a school where bullying was pretty common and despite being a kid who could and would fight back I was considered a little nerd.
    I avoided the groups of bullies that roamed free range at lunch times.
    One week a few friends and I had planned to make a Monty Python style super 8 film for our English class project. I was designated to be play a Scotsman and so I turned up at school in a Black Watch kilt and other accoutrements that my Mum somehow put together for me. I saw a well known group of lads clock me, reknowned bullies, and I thought "Here we go, I'm going to cop it". Instead these lads very enthusiastically told me that their 'Grandma was Scottish etc' and after that they treated me like a best mate!
    So the love and pride of Scottishness at least here in Australia is just below the surface.
    My other funny experience was walking in my kilt through Brisbane City centre after pipe band practice and I was spotted by a horde of maybe 50 teenage girls waiting to buy Bay City Rollers tickets ( this is mid 70's).
    No joke, they chased me down the deserted street and as much as I liked girls I ran like heck as I knew that they were going to tear that kilt right off me in their fervour for Scottishness ha ha

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Stewart of Galloway For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I guided in the eighties many summers Scottish and/or Irish Scouts from 16 years upwards on 6-day-hikes in Austria and all of them wore their kilts and was happy with all the time - with 36 degrees on hot days, or with some snow flocks on the mountains....

Most people we met was very interested about the comfort and tried to come in discussions with them. All in all very positive!

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to TSRalex For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all honesty I was nervous at first kilting outside of the Highland games. My first "night out" with my wife we walked past some kids 14-17 year olds. One pipes with up "Nice dress" but before I could say anything my wife spun around and said,
    "Thanks for noticing, I wasnt sure if I could pull off this style. Are you and your friends in women's fashion design?"
    No one said a word......

Another time was at a coworkers retirement party. I was outside having a smoking when two guys walked up and asked me why I was wearing a skirt? I replied its a Killt. "Looks like a skirt to me" one said. After trying for several minutes to educate the two and getting nowhere, a Motor unit pulled up (another coworker) Hows it going Mac? (Mac in my nickname) Not bad Sgt just trying to explain to these guys the difference between a Kilt and a skirt. Sgt looked at the two and asked James why are you out with Eddie when you know its a violation of your probation?

If he'd kept his opinion to himself he wouldn't have been sent back to jail. The other was arrested for possession of cocaine and carrying a concealed weapon. (Hunting knife)
    Justicia et Fortitudo Invincibilia Sunt (Justice and Fortitude are Invincible)

8. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to McCafferty For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost disappointed at the lack of reaction

The first time I wore a kilt in public, I was almost disappointed at the complete lack of reaction. I met a group of friends at an Outback Steakhouse (pseudo-Australian family dining), and I don't think it got a second glance, much less any comments, from anyone. It was the same level of reaction as if I'd been wearing jeans or slacks.

Subsequent times out have gotten more reactions, primarily positive.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910