X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Custom made kilt jacket

To all who may be able to help.
    I am looking to have a custom jacket made for myself, I have an image and am needing to find a tailor willing to make this for me. any suggestions would be very welcome.
    Thank you!
    Kim Robertson

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that the jacket in your picture is one made by Chrystel Amot in France.

http://www.lady-chrystel-kilts.com/s...d-doublet.html
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    I believe that the jacket in your picture is one made by Chrystel Amot in France.

http://www.lady-chrystel-kilts.com/s...d-doublet.html
    Hi Steve!
    Thanks for your reply, I am friends with Chrystel and Robert, she unfortunately does not do this style, so I am hunting for a tailor or seamstress willing to take this project on!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try Gabe Everson, The Period Tailor. A number of years ago he made 3 Kilts for me. He used to post occasionally on the site, although I can’t recall the name he used. He sells on Etsy and has a Facebook page.
    Slainte
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might try...

MacKenzie Frain could probably make something like that for you...

http://www.mackenziefrain.com/index....ighland%20Wear
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    You could try Gabe Everson, The Period Tailor. A number of years ago he made 3 Kilts for me. He used to post occasionally on the site, although I can’t recall the name he used. He sells on Etsy and has a Facebook page.
    Slainte
    His Etsy page says he is taking a break, which may just mean he's working on a movie.

On another note, we have a new member, Graeme H, who is a tailor. May not do that, but may know someone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an identical jacket and waistcoat made through Tartan Web about 12 years ago for my daughter's wedding. I don't think they're in business anymore (and I think they shopped the work out anyway) but you might send the image out to Scotweb and see if they know someone who did/does that style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    MacKenzie Frain could probably make something like that for you...

http://www.mackenziefrain.com/index....ighland%20Wear
    My anti-virus software tells me that this site is infected and when you click "more details" on some of the items it attempts to install a virus.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim1667 View Post
    I wonder what that jacket does in the back.

For it looks, to me, like a modern take on the traditional Doublet, the standard civilian kilt jacket of the Victorian period, or perhaps a blend between the traditional 19th century civilian Doublet and the modern British Army No1 Dress Doublet.

Doublets have the two front skirts as can be seen, plus two rear skirts, with two additional overlapped and overlapping skirts at the rear centre.

Here's a typical Victorian civilian Doublet

Here's a modern No1 Dress doublet (I can't find a picture of it with square buttons, which the pipers of The Highlanders used to wear)

Last edited by OC Richard; 28th January 18 at 08:28 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest given the waistcoat and dandy-ish nature of the overall ensemble that this is very much a one-off design, it doesn't resemble anything that I've ever seen, either military or civilian. It's a shame that there aren't more pictures of it, particularly from the back. It's tricky to know if the jacket has a full hem or if what we see on the bottom of the jacket are as per the military doublet, or indeed something completely unique. The full gauntlets with the braiding obviously have military connotations but as with many of these sorts of things nowadays, some designers simply pick and choose elements based purely on aesthetic. Case and point - there don't seem to be epaulettes present where we would expect them on a military jacket. It would be interesting to know what my father thinks, I'll quiz him on it tomorrow.

In terms of getting one made for yourself, I'd certainly be able to do it as a bespoke commission but we would need to decide on the back and hem details. However, whereabouts are you based? I don't take on remote commissions as it will really require me or my father to measure for the pattern to make sure the fit is precise. It's especially necessary with a gauntlet cuff as the sleeve length and shoulder balance need to be spot on. Obviously there wouldn't be a made-to-measure or custom option as I doubt anyone has a pattern that's even remotely similar.

Very unusual! I'd be happy to help where I can though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast