X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Question Regarding Jabot and Sheriffmuir.

Does a jabot wrap around the neck inside, or outside of the shirt collar. Would a collarless shirt be better for a jabot and/or cravat? Thanks!

Edit: I just saw that MacRobert already recommended collarless shirt for highland cravat. Would that work as well for a jabot?
    Last edited by KiltedSergeant; 8th February 18 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jose995 View Post
    Does a jabot wrap around the neck inside, or outside of the shirt collar. Would a collarless shirt be better for a jabot and/or cravat? Thanks!

Edit: I just saw that MacRobert already recommended collarless shirt for highland cravat. Would that work as well for a jabot?
    Outside the shirt neckband for a cravat or jabot. Some of the better jabots have one or two wee button holes that attach them with shirt studs or buttons to the neckband. However, some wearers just use a tee shirt under the doublet so the jabot is not attached to anything and lace cuffs are pinned or tacked onto the lining of the sleeves.
    It's coming yet for a' that,
    That Man to Man, the world o'er,
    Shall brothers be for a' that. - RB

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacRobert's Reply For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    16649467_10209869699673807_6693772599805716436_n.jpg
    This is a Locharron jabot. It is mated to a white silk "dickey" which in turn is sewn to a white cotton mock turtleneck. I tried the t-shirt route and found that in some photos there was skin showing when the collar moved away from the neck.
    I have worn the jabot to many black tie functions as well as mess dress.
    Were I to ever be invited to a white tie function, I would change to a white marcella waist coat.
    Commissioner of Clan Strachan, Central United States.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Fedgunner For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedgunner View Post
    16649467_10209869699673807_6693772599805716436_n.jpg
    This is a Locharron jabot. It is mated to a white silk "dickey" which in turn is sewn to a white cotton mock turtleneck. I tried the t-shirt route and found that in some photos there was skin showing when the collar moved away from the neck.
    I have worn the jabot to many black tie functions as well as mess dress.
    Were I to ever be invited to a white tie function, I would change to a white marcella waist coat.
    Looks very nice! My plan is to make my own. I don't care for the ones I've seen for sale on line; they look rather large, and I'm only 5'7". They are also the type that have the lace layered in a repeating downward "S" pattern of a single piece of lace. I prefer the look of 3 or 4 layered horizontal sections. If I make my own, I can also make it to the correct length for my shorter frame.

I was going to put off acquiring a jabot, as I considered it purely "white tie", but I will be wearing my Sheriffmuir to a black tie event in May, and the lady in charge has told me that if I wear a Sheriffmuir it MUST be with jabot. There you have it!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need to remember that kilt attire conventions do not exactly mirror saxon attire conventions on occasion. The Jabot with kilt attire will cover very formal black tie events as well as the rare white tie event with a suitable jacket. I do think, however, many tend to "over egg the cake" for the more normal black tie events by wearing a Sheriffmuir jacket and jabot.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 11th February 18 at 11:01 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123