X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how times have changed

Quote Originally Posted by ELY View Post
    Specific. I know of a car mechanic that was fined for carrying a screwdriver in the glovebox.
    When I was traveling about Spain and especially in Madrid in early 1970, General Franco was still in power and on every street corner were soldiers with machine guns slung over their shoulders.....most looking very sloppy, and acting quite belligerent to the general public ......even the street sweepers carried a side arm......coming from CANADA where guns are seldom seen in public....even now..... I found it all quite alarming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wouldn't bother if it was a potential problem with a nation's laws. One can definitely look good in a kilt without a Sgian.I don't consider it a necessary part of the outfit.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to jumary For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    Adhere to the laws, wherever you are, ELY. THCD is not a uniform and the sgian dubh we often wear is not required by tradition. Personal experience: in the three places I call 'home', Scotland, Switzerland and Canada, I wear it within the laws which permit it. In recent years in Egypt, Spain, Italy, Germany, Belgium, The Netherlands, Mexico and Costa Rica, I left it either in my hotel room or didn't bother to even take it from 'home'.
    When kilted in public, I have been asked a few times where my knife is. And I have replied that, in California, concealed carry of knives isn't permitted. And partial concealment is still considered concealment. I suppose I could buy a fake one, but I'd rather spend money on other accessories at the moment.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to SunriseEarth For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing that my post has started a debate travelling with a sgian yes-travelling with a sgian no, I would like to say that I wouldn't bring one along myself, should I have to travel anywhere outside my known country. Here, I know the law and the language. Outside, maybe I don't.

I asked about the law to give my guests the right information, and THEY will choose whether to bring theirs or not. (you know, adults adulting and all that )

I thought to share the info on a forum where it would most probably come in handy.

That's all.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ELY For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My particular interest in your information is that I hike 500 miles across Spain every couple of years, and always carry pocket knives with me.

No one has ever said 'boo" about me whipping out my knife to slice some bread, cut some cheese, or screw a corked bottle of Rioja wine. My wife does not approve of me cutting the cheese in public, though.

I would hate to be the guy they make an example out of.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding is that the navaja is still acceptable in Andalusia and certainly I have seen them used by country folk as ibrew4u has described -- perhaps with a shorter blade than of-old?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12