X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39
  1. #11
    Join Date
    13th September 10
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    I have searched in vain at various tailors to have a waistcoat made in Mustard Yellow or even buff yellow ...but so far all I get is stares......none of the fabric samples come anywhere close to what I would like .......mind you I live on Vancouver Island on Canada's west coast so we aren't known as a world wide fashion center
    I had three waistcoats made by Gabe, HERE I sent the cloth, and he made them. They are excellent workmanship. It was a few years ago, however, so I can't be certain he will still do so. I know he gets busy doing Hollywood projects and sometimes takes pause from doing work for the likes of us. But, if so, you could find the cloth you like and have him make the waistcoat. Good luck.

  2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KiltedSergeant For This Useful Post:


  3. #12
    Join Date
    18th October 09
    Location
    Orange County California
    Posts
    7,365
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macmanjim View Post
    What is the difference in terms who would wear what when between a doublet and class A honor guard jacket?
    Hmmm I'm not sure I understand.

    Civilian Highland Dress has doublets, since around 1900 confined to Evening Dress.

    Military Highland Dress has doublets, since around the third quarter of the 19th century confined to Full Dress or Number One Dress.

    The "class A honor guard jacket" sounds like an American thing. Highland Dress is a Scottish thing. So there's not much common ground to base a comparison on.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

  4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:


  5. #13
    Join Date
    18th October 09
    Location
    Orange County California
    Posts
    7,365
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Try google-ing " UK fox hunting attire" and you will find what you are looking for.
    Exactly so, here is an example (I googled "hunting waistcoats")

    http://thehuntingshop.co.uk/epages/3...0Waistcoats%22
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

  6. #14
    Join Date
    19th October 17
    Location
    Fountain Hills AZ
    Posts
    174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Hmmm I'm not sure I understand.

    Civilian Highland Dress has doublets, since around 1900 confined to Evening Dress.

    Military Highland Dress has doublets, since around the third quarter of the 19th century confined to Full Dress or Number One Dress.

    The "class A honor guard jacket" sounds like an American thing. Highland Dress is a Scottish thing. So there's not much common ground to base a comparison on.
    This: https://www.jhiggins.net/class-a-hon...ket-black-red/
    American by birth, human by coincidence and earthling by mistake.

  7. #15
    Join Date
    19th October 09
    Location
    South Queensferry, Scotland
    Posts
    593
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b81d94520f92710affde185b2a3dc491.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	33338

    Almost a Sheriffmuir doublet in a 1909 catalogue. Only the stand-up collar may be missing. However, it's simply described as a doublet and vest.

    And another from about the same date.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	158878a516bed73015c1c40a1f4d71a7.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	33339
    Last edited by MacRobert's Reply; 1st March 18 at 04:17 PM.
    It's coming yet for a' that,
    That Man to Man, the world o'er,
    Shall brothers be for a' that. - RB

  8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to MacRobert's Reply For This Useful Post:


  9. #16
    Join Date
    25th November 11
    Location
    Towns Co. Ga.
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jose995 View Post
    I had three waistcoats made by Gabe, HERE I sent the cloth, and he made them. They are excellent workmanship. It was a few years ago, however, so I can't be certain he will still do so. I know he gets busy doing Hollywood projects and sometimes takes pause from doing work for the likes of us. But, if so, you could find the cloth you like and have him make the waistcoat. Good luck.
    Gabe is still alive and well and in business. I'm sure he'd love some more highland work.

    Karl
    "For we fight not for glory nor for riches nor for honour, but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life".
    the Declaration of Arbroath, 1320
    Freedom is the Liberty to do what is Right.

  10. #17
    Join Date
    5th July 11
    Location
    Inverlorne
    Posts
    2,518
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacRobert's Reply View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b81d94520f92710affde185b2a3dc491.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	33338

    Almost a Sheriffmuir doublet in a 1909 catalogue. Only the stand-up collar may be missing. However, it's simply described as a doublet and vest.

    And another from about the same date.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	158878a516bed73015c1c40a1f4d71a7.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	33339
    Which catelogues are these from and what are they called in those documents, Iain?
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

  11. #18
    Join Date
    19th October 09
    Location
    South Queensferry, Scotland
    Posts
    593
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Which catelogues are these from and what are they called in those documents, Iain?
    The first from R W Forsyth's catalogue and simply described as a doublet. The second, if I remember correctly, is a museum artifact and no name is given to the doublet.
    It's coming yet for a' that,
    That Man to Man, the world o'er,
    Shall brothers be for a' that. - RB

  12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacRobert's Reply For This Useful Post:


  13. #19
    Join Date
    13th September 10
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilted Karl View Post
    Gabe is still alive and well and in business. I'm sure he'd love some more highland work.

    Karl
    That's great to hear. I have been unable to contact him, so thought he may have retired from doing freelance tailoring.

  14. #20
    Join Date
    25th November 11
    Location
    Towns Co. Ga.
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jose995 View Post
    That's great to hear. I have been unable to contact him, so thought he may have retired from doing freelance tailoring.
    Nope, still sewing along, although he does more historical stuff now. He's on facebook and instragram as The Period Tailor though.

    Karl
    "For we fight not for glory nor for riches nor for honour, but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life".
    the Declaration of Arbroath, 1320
    Freedom is the Liberty to do what is Right.

  15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kilted Karl For This Useful Post:


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0