X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Facebook Live Q & A Friday Feb 2!

Hey Guys and Gals,

USA Kilts is doing a Facebook Live this Friday at 3 pm Eastern time. We're looking for questions to answer, so if you have anything you'd like to hear our opinion / take on, please comment below!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not on Facebook, and I don't get home from work 'til around 3:30 (I also don't have a smartphone). But if it's even half as enjoyable and informative of the last one, then I look forward to seeing it once it's posted on your YouTube channel.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It will be. If there's a particularly GOOD question, we even segment them out into stand alone Q / A videos which we share between FB Lives. Can you think of any questions for us to answer?

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RockyR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The standard kilt length has been 24" for years. Everyone seems to use it on their off the peg offerings from top of the market Scottish kilt suppliers to Pakistani ones. Why? the 24" includes a 2" rise, traditionally flared to allow for the rib cage. However, casual kilts are normally worn lower, don't need a flared 2" rise and more often than not have a straight 2" rise so surely the standard length for casual kilts should be less: 23" or 22" and do they really need a 2" rise? I can understand the Pakistani ones, they will have no concept or care of how and at what level the kilt is worn and simply copy traditional kilt makers but even UK and US ones, who should understand how their kilt will be worn, seem to follow the 24" standard for casual kilts. ( I don't know what rise you have with velcro fastenings, so this may be irrelevant to any of those you do off the peg. if you only make to measure, then it does not matter so the whole question is irrelevant!)
    Last edited by tpa; 1st February 18 at 04:37 PM.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would really like a Welsh tartan Cilt, but continue to be confounded by how flimsy the material is, it almost seems like an embarrassment, and a national disgrace that such a flimsy material would be the only thing available from Wales.

How does this material hold up to actually being worn? Could it be sewn to another material to give it more body or structure, like a full cotton lining for example?

What is the motivation to make this material so loosely woven? Why is it only made in one weight? Why aren't Welsh tartans available in PV? It seems like it would hold up better to me.

At this point I'm a little disgusted by the whole idea, and to add insult to injury they actually want more money for it!

I may end up getting a 16 oz. Prince of Wales tartan KILT instead, if it's good enough for HRH it's good enough for me. Unfortunately I wouldn't look nearly as snappy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4f381bc1c9ab95fe2b63c3ea6ab18738--prince-of-wales-prince-charles.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	33087
    Last edited by tokareva; 31st January 18 at 10:09 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a kilted skirt in the Evans tartan, and while it's a softer weave than some of the Scottish mills, it's still quite nice and I certainly wouldn't call it flimsy. Perhaps you're thinking of the questionable skills of the WTC's tailors? In that case, just have the kilt itself made elsewhere. I would think that more appropriate display of Welsh pride than a tartan that ultimately represents the English subjugation of Wales.

But back to the topic at hand, I have a question for the Q&A. Much like your discussion of white hose in the last one, I wouldn't mind hearing your take on why tartan flashes are so reviled.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dollander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dollander,I intended to have USA Kilts make it,I don't know who WTC (Welsh Tartan Centre?)is. It's my understanding the material is so light that it really needs 8 yards to be used minimum...too expensive.

I agree the soft texture is nice, and the loose weave is probably very comfortable in summer, especially when the wind blows the whole thing over your head...
    Last edited by tokareva; 31st January 18 at 10:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately I will miss the Q & A as I will be working at that time. Will some of the questions and answers be posted somewhere afterwards?

As far as Welsh tartans go there are several out there, yet it seems that most are either special weaves or sold by the Welsh Tartan Center, or WTC, who as I understand it owns the last tartan mill in Wales. WTC weaves 14 oz wool material that is not flimsy or loosely woven, yet not as sturdy as a 16 oz weave from some other mills. WTC added restrictions on the tartans they designed and are very picky on who weaves these tartans. WTC also will not weave Welsh tartans that they did not design, I have had conversations with them about this. For some reason WTC does very little in PV yet there is the Glyndwr tartan that does come in PV and the Prince of Wales tartan looks great also.

As for making a kilt, or cilt, in a Welsh Tartan I would trust the kilt making skill of USA Kilts over that of the Welsh Tartan Center. I have seen what USA Kilts can produce and in my opinion it top quality.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LKM View Post
    Unfortunately I will miss the Q & A as I will be working at that time. Will some of the questions and answers be posted somewhere afterwards?

As far as Welsh tartans go there are several out there, yet it seems that most are either special weaves or sold by the Welsh Tartan Center, or WTC, who as I understand it owns the last tartan mill in Wales. WTC weaves 14 oz wool material that is not flimsy or loosely woven, yet not as sturdy as a 16 oz weave from some other mills. WTC added restrictions on the tartans they designed and are very picky on who weaves these tartans. WTC also will not weave Welsh tartans that they did not design, I have had conversations with them about this. For some reason WTC does very little in PV yet there is the Glyndwr tartan that does come in PV and the Prince of Wales tartan looks great also.

As for making a kilt, or cilt, in a Welsh Tartan I would trust the kilt making skill of USA Kilts over that of the Welsh Tartan Center. I have seen what USA Kilts can produce and in my opinion it top quality.
    Yes, the live session will be available afterwards. We are also going to start cutting up a single question & answer into a short video and post some of the more interesting questions after the fact.

TO address the other points, the Welsh Tartan Centre is owned by friends of ours. Up to this point in time, their wool cloth is woven by the Cumbrian Woolen Mill, which is the last mill in Wales. We've done a joint venture with them to have the Glyndwr Red tartan available in PV, which we carry and they carry.

I'll see if I can boil these questions (the 3 or 4 posts above) about the cloth into a single question and answer it on the FB live session. :-)

These questions are great... keep them coming!

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to RockyR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Q and A session

Very glad to hear they are going to improve the
    quality of the fabric. I will be ordering when its done, and plan to get at least two.
    Please let us know of any updates regarding the transition, thank you.
    Last edited by tokareva; 2nd February 18 at 09:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast