X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I completely disagree with the matching leathers thing. It's contrary to 300 or so years of Highland Dress tradition. From our earliest images down to modern times leather Day sporrans and Hunting sporrans have almost universally been brown, the brogues and belts have almost universally have been black. Even as late as the 1970s when I began kiltwearing I only saw black shoes, only saw brown sporrans, for years. The matching leathers thing is another example of projecting Saxon dress norms onto Highland dress, along with matching colours, putting belt loops on kilts, wearing belts to hold kilts up, having the waists of kilts go lower and lower, unbuttoning the bottom button of waistcoats, etc.
    In the 50's when I started to wear kilts, yes, dark brown sporran, black shoes, no belt but the kilt had brown straps. When I got a Montrose Doublet which required a belt and formal sporran, the sporran and belt were both black as were the shoes still. However I see no problem in matching leather colour to some degree as these days there is so much more choice, it's progress though whether for the better or worse is a matter of opinion. Kilts have evolved from great kilts to where they are today, dyes and colours changed, sporrans have changed, shoes have changed significantly even if you discount ghillie brogues, hose have arrived on the scene. Granted compared with many fashions, the changes have been gradual but it won't stop and as long as for the most part people are tastefully attired, I don't see any point in worrrying about it.

If more people appreciate the benefits of wearing a kilt the better. I find lower much more comfortable, though this depends to a degree on body shape. The doublet requires a high waist and belt and any waistcoat requires a length or kilt waist that doesn't show a gap any more than you would consider having a gap with a 3 piece suit acceptable.

I think that part of the reason that kilts are not everyday wear in Scotland for many more people is that they still only have one kilt which they own or have hired, regard it as Sunday best or better and don't find a high waisted formal wear kilt particularly comfortable for every day activities, like sitting down! If their only kilt experience is one hired and worn with all the trimmings for a wedding, it does not translate too well into an everyday experience. That is just my theory and opinion and I now have one black sporran to wear occasionally with black shoes and belt but on a day to day basis it is brown sporran, belt (if needed to carry other items) and shoes and sometimes brown leather waistcoat.
    Last edited by tpa; 7th February 18 at 05:28 PM.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post: