X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dress for the Royal Caledonian Ball

Copied from: https://www.royalcaledonianball.com/dress

"Part of the particular appeal of the Ball is that everyone attending is wearing traditional formal evening dress. The dress requirements are stated below in summary and in detail. Please note that those not correctly dressed will be refused entry.

Please note that gentleman taking part in the set reels must wear highland evening dress or mess kit, tail coats only if part of mess dress, and ladies must wear clan sashes.

If you are unsure about any aspect of the dress code, please contact the Ball Secretary.

Gentlemen

Essential:
    Highland evening dress comprising kilt and sporran, evening jacket of black broadcloth or coloured velvet, white evening shirt and black bow tie or lace jabot, or

Evening dress, comprising black evening tail coat, white shirt with wing collar, white bow tie and white waistcoat, or

Mess dress, worn according to regulations, with, preferably, where permitted, any more formal variation such as stiff shirt, wing collar and black bow tie.

No dinner jackets or trews.

Optional, but encouraged:

Orders and Decorations

The "requirements" are accompanied by this photograph
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 4th February 18 at 02:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Scott View Post

"Part of the particular appeal of the Ball is that everyone attending is wearing traditional formal evening dress. The dress requirements are stated below in summary and in detail. Please note that those not correctly dressed will be refused entry.

Please note that gentleman taking part in the set reels must wear highland evening dress or mess kit, tail coats only if part of mess dress, and ladies must wear clan sashes.

If you are unsure about any aspect of the dress code, please contact the Ball Secretary.

Gentlemen

Essential:
    Highland evening dress comprising kilt and sporran, evening jacket of black broadcloth or coloured velvet, white evening shirt and black bow tie or lace jabot, or

Evening dress, comprising black evening tail coat, white shirt with wing collar, white bow tie and white waistcoat, or

Mess dress, worn according to regulations, with, preferably, where permitted, any more formal variation such as stiff shirt, wing collar and black bow tie.

Orders and Decorations

The "requirements" are accompanied by this photograph:

That was very explicit for an invitation, however the gentleman in the kilt, where to begin the kilt rise is too short way all that white shirt seen between the kilt and the waistcoat. Belt should not be worn with waistcoat and that’s just at first glance.
    It is interesting that they are asking for white tie for Saxon equivalent dress. As the invitation is very specific the host obviously expects the guests to meet this requirement and it would be incorrect to modify your dress away from the hosts request with out permission. As an aside I have typically found that European dress standards are higher than in North America, they do tend to dress up more to go out in the evening, jacket and dresses
    Regards David

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to David Dubh For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hair!

Quote Originally Posted by David Dubh View Post
    That was very explicit for an invitation, however the gentleman in the kilt, where to begin the kilt rise is too short way all that white shirt seen between the kilt and the waistcoat. Belt should not be worn with waistcoat and that’s just at first glance.
    It is interesting that they are asking for white tie for Saxon equivalent dress. As the invitation is very specific the host obviously expects the guests to meet this requirement and it would be incorrect to modify your dress away from the hosts request with out permission. As an aside I have typically found that European dress standards are higher than in North America, they do tend to dress up more to go out in the evening, jacket and dresses
    Regards David
    and he could have at least brushed his hair.....I don't understand why the young people of today think it is stylish to look so unkempt.......just bloody lazy to my eyes

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    and he could have at least brushed his hair.....I don't understand why the young people of today think it is stylish to look so unkempt.......just bloody lazy to my eyes
    It is a decision of the cost between a brush, a mousse and a trend.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

never have seen

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    It is a decision of the cost between a brush, a mousse and a trend.
    I have never seen a mouse with hair like that ....unless it was genetically manipulated ( heh! heh!)......and I'm sure just a couple passes with a brush would have set it right..... and as for the Trend, that is exactly what I 'm talking about......the trend is the excuse of the young folk for being slovenly, when it is really just laziness in my opinion........thanx for trying to set me straight Tarheel.......sorry your effort is lost on me.......I was raised to have good manners and to be tidy in my appearance and I'm just too old to change

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    No,no,NO! The black Barathea silver buttoned argyll(BBSBA) is fine for minor black tie events, but is physically not designed to be worn with a jabot, therefore quite unsuitable to be worn at white tie events.
    Not that this is something on my wish list but what about a velvet argyle or one with silk faced lapels?
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Scott View Post

Gentlemen

Essential:

Orders and Decorations

The "requirements" are accompanied by this photograph
    Looks like he borrowed a lot of expensive kit but doesn’t know how to wear any of it.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terry, I was channeling my inner child with my comment. I am too old to set or follow any trend, have cats that take care of mice and own two brushes for my rapidly thinning hair.

If the young lad in the picture was a bit flushed in the cheeks and damp from exertion, I would give him a pass.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Terry, I was channeling my inner child with my comment. I am too old to set or follow any trend, have cats that take care of mice and own two brushes for my rapidly thinning hair.

If the young lad in the picture was a bit flushed in the cheeks and damp from exertion, I would give him a pass.
    I agree with your comment, Tarheel, Like you I too am too old to follow trends.....besides they change so fast I'd never be sure which trend I'm following.......I always enjoy your comments

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's an older photo, but here is formal Highland Dress with white tie, in 1911, worn by John Grant.

I wonder when the "no white tie with Highland Dress" idea came about.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 4th March 18 at 04:04 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast