X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Company differences and drop measuring.

So here's the deal. I'm 6'8". My measurement around my actual waist i.e. My belly and not where I wear my jeans is 48. I was using USA kilts measuring guide to try to figure out my drop. I can't tell if it's 24 or 25. Going to try the towel method. My other question is...this is my first kilt, I don't want to spend a lot because right now I will just be going to my first Highland games. So what is the difference of the PV kilts when ordering from USA kilts vs the companies like Heritage of Scotland or buyakilt.com? The latter seem to have the cheaper prices for a semi tradition kilt with buckles etc. Help me out please

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not put the question directly to Rocky in his subforum? He replies pretty dependably.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the comments on this forum, there is a particular mill that produces PV tartan material that is clearly superior to other PV on the market. USA kilts uses this mill's material, but not all kiltmakers do. I am not sure which source Buy-a-kilt or Heritage of Scotland use for their PV, but it is worth asking.

I don't have any first-hand experience with PV. My first kilt was acrylic and I quickly replaced it with a wool one. But the PV kilts are certainly affordable and many here have found them to be useful, durable, and a good value.

Andrew

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't and won't try to speak for Rocky but I believe that he and I are among the kiltmakers who use the largest amount of true Marton Mills P/V.

P/V stands for Polyester/Viscose. Viscose being the British term for Rayon. So true P/V is a Polyester/Rayon blend fabric.

Where the trouble came was some of the makers of kilts in Sailkot, Pakistan began to use the term P/V to mean any synthetic fabric. Most notably what is actually Acrylic.
    Acrylic has the potential of being the most wool like of any synthetic. But it must be worsted and spun very tightly. Just like Kilt wool is.
    Most of the Acrylic and wool blend fabrics that are coming out of Pakistan are spun and woven much looser than kilt wool. The fabric is allowed to take on a thick feel. Think Polar fleece which is thick but very light.

Today many of the kilts you see on ebay and in shops in Scotland are made in Pakistan with Acrylic and Acrylic blended with wool.

We normally weigh kilt fabrics by the linear yard double-width. So 36" long by 60" wide. Or 2160 square inches. 16oz kilt wool would then weight 1 pound per linear yard.
    Using this formula Marton Mills P/V weighs 12oz.
    I have two Pakistani kilts as demonstrators in my shop. Both were purchased on the Royal Mile of Edinburgh. Both were advertised as "heavy weight P/V" Both of the kilts are Acrylic fabric made in Sailkot, Pakistan. One weighs in at 4oz and the other at 8oz per linear yard, double width.

If you see a label in a kilt like this, the fabric is probably not woven from P/V and the kilt is probably not manufactured in Scotland or N. America.

The advantage of synthetics over wool is that they are machine washable. I use P/V for my rental fleet. The kilts are thrown in the washer and dryer every time they return from a rental.
    Where P/V has an advantage over Acrylic is in the care. Many of my rental kilts have been through the washer and dryer 20-25 times. They look as good, the pleats are a straight, and the creases as sharp today as the day they were made. The creases, if properly pressed, are virtually permanent.

Marton Mills P/V is less expensive than wool but it is still not cheap. If you see a kilt advertised for around $100.00usd it is unlikely that it is made from true P/V.
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 3rd February 18 at 05:27 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are 6'8, the drop maybe more than 24". But then again, I think there's a difference between drop and length. I am 6'5 and I have 2 24" length kilts and 1 25". If I wore it just covering the navel, meaning the top edge of the kilt is at the top of the navel, I could probably go 26" and it would be fine. 24" is too short to wear traditionally and be mid knee. They are good for hiking though. When I get my custom kilt after reaching my goal weight, I will get something longer... 98lbs down, 44-54 to go, depending on my bodyfat percentage.
    American by birth, human by coincidence and earthling by mistake.