X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A cost effective remake of a day sporran

This was a cheap rework of a daysporrn I bought on Ebay for $15.00 plus shipping. (from the middle east)
    The shape was correct and I can't build a sporran like that for $15. So why not just add some more quality on?
    I used some scrap leather to reface the base and flap , leaving some original material showing for contrast and to add dimension. The braidwork is from a woven belt, bought from the Salvation Army for $3.00. I cut the area I wanted to use and stitched and glued it into place then added a flap to secure the braidework at the top.
    Finally I sewed a lovely horn button I had onto the flap , through the snap top closure to finish off the flap.

I think this is a rather nice distinctive day sporran for probably less than $25.
    Plus, I still have most of the belt left which I will be using in another sporran project in the future.

2. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would have been easy to over do the front (which you did not) and create a gaudy sporran. I think this is just enough improvement to get noticed, still be functional for day use and make the piece unique. Good job in my opinion.

What type of carrier are you thinking of using (chain, strap hanger or belt)?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    It would have been easy to over do the front (which you did not) and create a gaudy sporran. I think this is just enough improvement to get noticed, still be functional for day use and make the piece unique. Good job in my opinion.

What type of carrier are you thinking of using (chain, strap hanger or belt)?

Thankyou sir. I have always use a traditional leather strap on my sporrans that matches the bag if at all possible. 3/4 of an inch wide with a brass buckle. Herd of Sporrans make some real nice one.
    Last edited by Shinenotburn; 11th February 18 at 09:01 PM. Reason: typo

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post: