X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody is missing my point. It is about my FAMILY ANCESTORS, and their loss. It is about humanity loss, not about GOOGLE history. Respect and rememberance.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macmanjim View Post
    My kids have that and they still ask me everything. I tell them if I had Google when I was their age, I wouldn't have had to ask anyone anything.
    Your kids know enough to not believe everything they read from Google, so they get confirmation from their father.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jack Daw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    Everybody is missing my point. It is about my FAMILY ANCESTORS, and their loss. It is about humanity loss, not about GOOGLE history. Respect and rememberance.
    I understand your point, but perhaps it is only because I am a Macdonald as well. I got the pictures working on my first post if you are curious about how our gathering went in California. There were at least 50-60 people there at any given time and even the Clan Donald US High Commissioner was in attendance.

-Warren Macdonald

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Macseobang For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    I would say appreciate the verbal questionings...At least they are attempting to communicate with you on a personal level. .....from what I see looking at society is everybody young, middle, and old, all have their noses stuck to these little hand held computer devices and are oblivious to all around them......the art of verbal communication is quickly disappearing and to me that is sad because it is the pleasant interaction between people that make us a society that feels something towards the other people in our environment.........EGADS!!! I'm waxing philosophical.......forgive me
    Yeah, I'm a regular oracle of delphi. I usually have a discussion at dinner as to what they've learned today. Then the tangents begin.
    American by birth, human by coincidence and earthling by mistake.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to macmanjim For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good on ya'

Quote Originally Posted by macmanjim View Post
    Yeah, I'm a regular oracle of delphi. I usually have a discussion at dinner as to what they've learned today. Then the tangents begin.
    Good on ya' for having proper verbal discussions.......you don't have to agree with everything said...the important issue in Talking....pure and simple ......and teaching respect for the opinions of others

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but in the grand scheme of things it was a non-event. I don't know why it gets the press it does, far more were killed in the battles and persecutions of that era and Glencoe was just one. Sort of like talking at great importance about a murder but largely ignoring the greater number killed during war.

In 1688 the protestant establishment in Scotland and England, with help from the Dutch rose up in rebellion and betrayed their king because he was catholic. Glencoe, Culloden, the Boyne all flow from that treason. It was a very important time in the history of the UK. You had the failed Darien expedition which bankrupted Scotland requiring them to be bailed out by England, catholic Ireland was finally defeated and the Irish nobility fled to Europe, thousands of Scots and Irish were sent as slaves to the Caribbean where they blended with the black slaves to create the modern Caribbean culture.

I've read Prebble's book on the events surrounding it which is worth a read, but Glencoe was a symptom of a wider culture shift in the Highlands as a result of the close ties between the convenanter clans and their ideological allies amongst the lowland Scots and by extension the English.

If you want to commemorate a big massacre than the McDonalds of Eigg in 1577 is a good one. 200-400 of them were suffocated to death in a cave they'd sought refuge in when McCleod raiders set on revenge for a previous event set a fire at the mouth of the cave.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Damion For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damion View Post
    Sorry, but in the grand scheme of things it was a non-event. I don't know why it gets the press it does, far more were killed in the battles and persecutions of that era and Glencoe was just one. Sort of like talking at great importance about a murder but largely ignoring the greater number killed during war.

In 1688 the protestant establishment in Scotland and England, with help from the Dutch rose up in rebellion and betrayed their king because he was catholic. Glencoe, Culloden, the Boyne all flow from that treason. It was a very important time in the history of the UK. You had the failed Darien expedition which bankrupted Scotland requiring them to be bailed out by England, catholic Ireland was finally defeated and the Irish nobility fled to Europe, thousands of Scots and Irish were sent as slaves to the Caribbean where they blended with the black slaves to create the modern Caribbean culture.

I've read Prebble's book on the events surrounding it which is worth a read, but Glencoe was a symptom of a wider culture shift in the Highlands as a result of the close ties between the convenanter clans and their ideological allies amongst the lowland Scots and by extension the English.

If you want to commemorate a big massacre than the McDonalds of Eigg in 1577 is a good one. 200-400 of them were suffocated to death in a cave they'd sought refuge in when McCleod raiders set on revenge for a previous event set a fire at the mouth of the cave.

I respect your post, and do agree with you to a certain point about the event's significance in the overall British/Scottish History. However, so much turmoil, social and religion reformation, and political issues either were going on, or was starting to emerge during this period. Let's face it, education was increasing in Scotland, especially in the Lowlands, and even in the Highlands, causing more and more to broaden their horizons. A new class was emerging from the lower and middle classes, the scholars started to question so much of the current Scottish political and cultural way of life, both in the Lowlands and Highlands. The Glencoe incident took direct assault on the Highland Culture in so many ways. First, an outside influence used or should I say pitted Highlander against Highlander. No secret the MacDonalds and Campbells, had some long standing history, for the MacDonalds there were others, but the Highland Culture was one of friends and foes, changing almost overnight. In this case, the Highland culture was assaulted. Hospitality, that was known in the Highlands was assaulted, trust even among enemies was gone. Agreements broken, and the wounds went much deeper, as from that point we can agree the serious start of degradation of the Highland Culture changes, the rise religious differences increased the political sensitiveness, and the isolation of Highlanders from Lowlanders and British rule feed into the Jacobites rising again, reaching out overseas to Bonnie Prince Charles, the Polish, the French and the Dutch. Glencoe was a catalyst for the next several decades, that eventually cause the complete collapse of the Clans, and Highland Culture.
    So Glencoe, at least for a MacDonald, and I would say Campbell was the beginning of the end and so many other clans took note of what happened, the snowball on the top of the hill started to roll downhill, that is what Glencoe did. I am not a scholar of British or Scottish History, but for an American know much more about my heritage and living in Oxford for four years gave me a great base of knowledge.
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 16th March 18 at 09:52 AM.
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a MacDonald you must be aware of the massacre of men, women and children on Rathlin Island by Drake in Elizabethan times. Sadly such atrocities were commonplace in those times.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivor View Post
    As a MacDonald you must be aware of the massacre of men, women and children on Rathlin Island by Drake in Elizabethan times. Sadly such atrocities were commonplace in those times.
    Yes very aware of this event too. I am sure you could make a very long list of such tragedies in history. But this was my ancestors, so little closer to home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since when was outside influence needed to keep the clans from killing each other?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast