X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the English always wanted to control Scotland.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Campbells vs MacDonalds

There is a lot of interesting history in this thread and I thank all who contributed their part. Since I have both Campbell and MacDonald (Reynolds/Ranald) ancestry I reckon I will have to avoid starting a feud with either side.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrymJack View Post
    There is a lot of interesting history in this thread and I thank all who contributed their part. Since I have both Campbell and MacDonald (Reynolds/Ranald) ancestry I reckon I will have to avoid starting a feud with either side.
    Would love to come to your Thanksgiving Dinners, like the Hatfields and McCoys... Just don't drink too much around a Campbell
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think those people who believe that the Massacre of Glencoe was committed by Clan Campbell need to go away and read properly about an event they claim is important to them. It wasn't Clan Campbell but a regiment which happened to have a Campbell as the Colonel & some Campbell's in it.

No doubt if we dig around Clan McDonald has historical indignities they have carried out against others and suffered worse.

As already said by one poster, reading Prebble's history is a good start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrymJack View Post
    Since I have both Campbell and MacDonald (Reynolds/Ranald) ancestry I reckon I will have to avoid starting a feud with either side.
    I’m surprised that you haven’t spontaneously combusted!
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Thomson View Post
    I think those people who believe that the Massacre of Glencoe was committed by Clan Campbell need to go away and read properly about an event they claim is important to them. It wasn't Clan Campbell but a regiment which happened to have a Campbell as the Colonel & some Campbell's in it.

No doubt if we dig around Clan McDonald has historical indignities they have carried out against others and suffered worse.

As already said by one poster, reading Prebble's history is a good start.
    This seems like an unnecessary slight. If you are not aware, the constant jabs between Clan Donald and Clan Campbell nowadays are somewhat of a joke on both sides. It's true that anyone who would hold a true grudge towards others just because of their last name should learn more about the history, but to say that worse things have happened by the hands of Clan Donald with no actual historical proof is unfounded. This is about a well documented tragedy, not just about who is at fault. Members of Clan Donald don't curse the Campbell name at Glencoe memorials, they just give remembrance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, I am well aware of the jokey nature, however the simple factor remains that Clan Campbell is made the scapegoat for the actions of a regiment. It would be like Iraqi POW's claiming everyone with certain surnames is responsible for 5he humiliating treatment doled out by a few transgressors...

And some people do have a psychotic animosity towards Clan Campbell on the basis of the myth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Thomson View Post
    Indeed, I am well aware of the jokey nature, however the simple factor remains that Clan Campbell is made the scapegoat for the actions of a regiment. It would be like Iraqi POW's claiming everyone with certain surnames is responsible for 5he humiliating treatment doled out by a few transgressors...

And some people do have a psychotic animosity towards Clan Campbell on the basis of the myth.
    There will always be a minority group of people with radical beliefs. Feel free to lash out at them specifically, but some of your comments seem to suggest that this belief is commonplace or that a large number of members of Clan Donald have this "psychotic animosity" which I don't believe to be true. In fact, I've never met anyone firsthand who felt that way. Even if you have met people like that, don't judge a whole group based on the actions of a few. Just like with the Campbells

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macseobang View Post
    This seems like an unnecessary slight. If you are not aware, the constant jabs between Clan Donald and Clan Campbell nowadays are somewhat of a joke on both sides. It's true that anyone who would hold a true grudge towards others just because of their last name should learn more about the history, but to say that worse things have happened by the hands of Clan Donald with no actual historical proof is unfounded. This is about a well documented tragedy, not just about who is at fault. Members of Clan Donald don't curse the Campbell name at Glencoe memorials, they just give remembrance.
    You didn't understand what I said correctly...

My point was that doubtless Clan McDonald have dealt indignities to others, which have been missed in the popular narritive. Stop believing your clan is any whiter or righter than any other.

At the end of the day every Highland Clan (& come to think of it Border when thry had their lawless times) was reiving, murdering & pursuing blood fueds & generally terrorising any individual they percieved as fair game by stripping them of their livelyhood and possessions.

I also said they had suffered worse as already been pointed out, but if you need documentation I suggest one enjoyable, albeit secondary source is Tales of the Scottish Highlands.

Funnily enough there's also evidence to show that Clan Campbell respected and gave hospitality to even those who asked for sanctuary after perpetuating wrongs against them.

The issue with blaming a clan for the actions of a regiment, albeit jokingly is that there is a huge pool of idiots out there for who films & fictionalised books, or popular history.is their only source (including 'taking in jokes' seriously) who continue to believe that it was a clan Campbell action & I came across a couple of eejits who were quiet psychotic about it (one of them was also obviously so delusional as to believe himself to be Lord Lyon as he thought he was entitled to question my right to wear the Kilt my Grandfather had woven & Kilted for him... ;) ).

Clan Campbell has undeservedly been cast as a folk demon off the back of lies, half truths and petty jealousy about the fact it's chiefs were astute operators who knew exactly which way to jump, getting it wrong only on one occasion).

Funny I've not spotted any threads on recalling the persecution & attrocities perpetuated on Covenantors by popular 'Folk Heroes' like Bonny Dundee....

There's two sides to every story.
    Last edited by Allan Thomson; 31st August 18 at 03:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hatfield vs McCoy side note

Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    Would love to come to your Thanksgiving Dinners, like the Hatfields and McCoys... Just don't drink too much around a Campbell
    As a Platoon Sergeant in Georgia, USA, I had a young Sergeant by the name of Anderson McCoy. His Mother was born a Hatfield and since Anderson is the full name of nickname 'Anse' as in 'Old Devil Anse' I would suspect that in their case the feud was pretty much over.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast