X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anniversary of Glencoe, Febuary 13. 1692.

I am sure that almost everybody on this forum is well aware of the Massacre of Glencoe, yet not a single post. Being a MacDonald, I felt maybe it would be proper to post this taken from the Encyclopedia Britannica:

"Massacre of Glencoe, (February 13, 1692), in Scottish history, the treacherous slaughter of members of the MacDonald clan of Glencoe by soldiers under Archibald Campbell, 10th earl of Argyll. Many Scottish clans had remained loyal to King James II after he was replaced on the English and Scottish thrones by William III in 1689. In August 1691 the government offered an indemnity to all chiefs who should take an oath of allegiance before January 1, 1692. “Letters of fire and sword,” authorizing savage attacks upon recalcitrants, were drawn up in anticipation of widespread refusals; the chiefs, however, took the oath. Alexander MacDonald of Glencoe postponed his submission until December 31, 1691, and was then unable to take his oath until January 6 because there was no magistrate at Fort William to receive it. Sir John Dalrymple, William’s secretary of state for Scotland, thereupon issued an order under the king’s signature for military punishment of the MacDonalds. More than 100 of Argyll’s soldiers, who had been quartered amicably upon the MacDonalds for more than a week, suddenly attacked them. Many of the clan escaped, but the chief, 33 other men, 2 women, and 2 children were killed. John Campbell, earl of Breadalbane and Holland, a neighbour and an enemy of the MacDonalds, was widely suspected of planning the attack but was not its main instigator; his imprisonment in 1695 was for earlier involvement with the Jacobites."

The Mid Atlantic Donald Clan has a small remembrance of this event every year, this year it will be Sunday.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an alibi.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jack Daw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    I am sure that almost everybody on this forum is well aware of the Massacre of Glencoe, yet not a single post. Being a MacDonald, I felt maybe it would be proper to post this taken from the Encyclopedia Britannica:

"Massacre of Glencoe, (February 13, 1692), in Scottish history, the treacherous slaughter of members of the MacDonald clan of Glencoe by soldiers under Archibald Campbell, 10th earl of Argyll. Many Scottish clans had remained loyal to King James II after he was replaced on the English and Scottish thrones by William III in 1689. In August 1691 the government offered an indemnity to all chiefs who should take an oath of allegiance before January 1, 1692. “Letters of fire and sword,” authorizing savage attacks upon recalcitrants, were drawn up in anticipation of widespread refusals; the chiefs, however, took the oath. Alexander MacDonald of Glencoe postponed his submission until December 31, 1691, and was then unable to take his oath until January 6 because there was no magistrate at Fort William to receive it. Sir John Dalrymple, William’s secretary of state for Scotland, thereupon issued an order under the king’s signature for military punishment of the MacDonalds. More than 100 of Argyll’s soldiers, who had been quartered amicably upon the MacDonalds for more than a week, suddenly attacked them. Many of the clan escaped, but the chief, 33 other men, 2 women, and 2 children were killed. John Campbell, earl of Breadalbane and Holland, a neighbour and an enemy of the MacDonalds, was widely suspected of planning the attack but was not its main instigator; his imprisonment in 1695 was for earlier involvement with the Jacobites."

The Mid Atlantic Donald Clan has a small remembrance of this event every year, this year it will be Sunday.
    I am sure that some in the uk may give the event a thought and I think there is still a small gathering at Glencoe on the actual day. As I have explained before, we in the UK could spend almost everyday celebrating, remembering " a historical something". It does not mean that a significant event is forgotten, it just that we in the UK as a whole, don't fuss over fairly minor events in our history.

I am sorry, but I am probably going to upset a few now. Personally, and it might be UK applications to historical events at work here, but for me if the event is not remembered and perhaps marked by an attendance somewhere on the actual day then its not really doing justice to the event. Just turning up at some more convenient date, in my humble opinion, does not do justice to the event and could be regarded by some, as just an excuse for going in for some rather insincere theatricals.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 14th February 18 at 01:04 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I am sure that some in the uk may give the event a thought and I think there is still a small gathering at Glencoe on the actual day. As I have explained before, we in the UK could spend almost everyday celebrating, remembering " a historical something". It does not mean that a significant event is forgotten, it just that we in the UK as a whole, don't fuss over fairly minor events in our history.

I am sorry, but I am probably going to upset a few now. Personally, and it might be UK applications to historical events at work here, but for me if the event is not remembered and perhaps marked by an attendance somewhere on the actual day then its not really doing justice to the event. Just turning up at some more convenient date, in my humble opinion, does not do justice to the event and could be regarded by some, as just an excuse to going in for some rather insincere theatricals.
    And I'd bet that a lot of folk under 50 or 40 don't know their own history in either the UK or US. I saw that young brits today, in a survey, most think Churchill is a fictional character. ***? I am not a tradition freak at all, but at least understand where you came from. Even funnier are the man on the street videos in the US where they show people pictures of politicians alive or dead and people don't know who they are. Like vice presidents or even presidents. Amazing.
    American by birth, human by coincidence and earthling by mistake.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to macmanjim For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macmanjim View Post
    And I'd bet that a lot of folk under 50 or 40 don't know their own history in either the UK or US. I saw that young brits today, in a survey, most think Churchill is a fictional character. ***? I am not a tradition freak at all, but at least understand where you came from. Even funnier are the man on the street videos in the US where they show people pictures of politicians alive or dead and people don't know who they are. Like vice presidents or even presidents. Amazing.
    I am sure you are right. Although the younger generation often have the internet easily to hand by iPhone, or some such, should they ever(?)feel the need to investigate their history.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure you are right. Although the younger generation often have the internet easily to hand by iPhone, or some such, should they ever(?)feel the need to investigate their history.
    My kids have that and they still ask me everything. I tell them if I had Google when I was their age, I wouldn't have had to ask anyone anything.
    American by birth, human by coincidence and earthling by mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glencoe Memorial in Glencoe, California

I attended a Glencoe Memorial even that lasted a whole weekend (Feb 2-4) just a few weeks ago in northern California, put on by the Clan Donald Central Pacific Region. I had made a post about what I should wear to the dinner portion of the event a few weeks ago so Glencoe was mentioned on the forums in some capacity. I think the our event (which is held annually) does mean something and serve a purpose in both educating more people about what happened and paying our respects to those who were lost in such an egregious event.

I also would like to mention that I would be classified as of the "younger" generation, so some of us know our history. I've even been to Glencoe, Scotland where they have an erected memorial.

1st pic: March during this year's Glencoe gathering in a city named Glencoe in northern California
    2nd pic: Map and retelling of massacre posted in the gathering hall
    3rd pic: Me and my wife next to one of the cairns surrounding the hall where the story was re-told and the group sang "The Massacre of Glencoe". Excuse my smiling, this was after the memorial.
    4th pic: The cairn/cross erected in the city of Glencoe, Scotland from when I visited last November.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glencoe.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	33266

Name:	map.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	448.4 KB 
ID:	33267

Name:	20180203_121240.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	483.7 KB 
ID:	33268

Name:	20171125_181820.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	33269
    Last edited by Macseobang; 15th February 18 at 03:09 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Macseobang For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by macmanjim View Post
    My kids have that and they still ask me everything. I tell them if I had Google when I was their age, I wouldn't have had to ask anyone anything.
    I would say appreciate the verbal questionings...At least they are attempting to communicate with you on a personal level. .....from what I see looking at society is everybody young, middle, and old, all have their noses stuck to these little hand held computer devices and are oblivious to all around them......the art of verbal communication is quickly disappearing and to me that is sad because it is the pleasant interaction between people that make us a society that feels something towards the other people in our environment.........EGADS!!! I'm waxing philosophical.......forgive me

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    .........EGADS!!! I'm waxing philosophical.......forgive me
    My good man, Mr. Miyagi Kesuke promotes the "Wax on - Wax off" philosophy when dealing with young folks. You and I are just students of the sensei.

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sorry, but I am probably going to upset a few now. Personally, and it might be UK applications to historical events at work here, but for me if the event is not remembered and perhaps marked by an attendance somewhere on the actual day then its not really doing justice to the event. Just turning up at some more convenient date, in my humble opinion, does not do justice to the event and could be regarded by some, as just an excuse for going in for some rather insincere theatricals.
    You know I respect your comments, although sometimes the pond between us varies our opinions. However in this case, I know this has a direct bearing on my family. Maybe to you this is not a big event that warrants your attention, however to the MacDonald's it has caused issue throughout the years. I remember my grandfather stating to my mother that he did not want to have Campbells Soup for lunch. This remains in my memory, however I am not coming down on the Campbell Clan, but rather remembering the MacDonald Clan. Obvious. net a great issue with you, or your clan, but for mine it it remains an event to be remember. Regardlesss in the US, Nova Scotia, Sotland or any place else a MacDonald resides, it is our history and our tragedy. God Bless the Campbells, and God remember the MacDonalds as it is about the history that made Scotland what is it today. Being an American does not mean I have forseken my rights to be Scottish. I was born into a Scottish household and remain true to my principles as a Scotchman..... even through I am Catholic and forces to migrate to Nova Scotia.....so be it. My routes remain in Knoidart. I hope your read this and understand, as when I do come back I hope we can meet and toast a dram to Scotland, regardless of where we were born.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast