X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Semi-Trad vs 5yard

I'm trying to decide between these 2. It would be the us Navy tartan and would be use d with my formal uniform. Is the 5 yard worth the extra $100? I will probably only wear it once a year max.

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 5 Yarder is very similar to the Semi Trad, but the cloth is more expensive (wool vs. PV) and it has a liner inside. The swing is a bit better on our 5 Yard Wool as well, but ultimately, only you can decide which is right for you. That being said, they're both made to your measurements, so whatever you order, it will fit you perfectly.

To help decide which model is right, we made this guide and put it on our site:

https://www.usakilts.com/information...ht-for-me.html

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to RockyR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsimon View Post
    I'm trying to decide between these 2. It would be the us Navy tartan and would be use d with my formal uniform. Is the 5 yard worth the extra $100? I will probably only wear it once a year max.
    Your use (formal uniform) suggests the wool kilt, in my opinion. I have two USA Kilts in PV which are great for casual wear or pubbing where I don't have to worry about getting them dirty. Wool, however, looks and feels much more formal/elegant. Just my thoughts, if it helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A member here once said once you go to wool,it's hard to go back.I agree.I have four kilts from Rocky at USA kilts. My first was a semi- trad and the last three have been 5-yard. In fact, I just received my fourth kilt, not 20 minutes ago. It looks great as usual Rocky. I have the U.S. Navy tartan from USA kilts. If you are wearing this with your formal uniform, I would go at least 5-yard and maybe even 8. Once you start wearing kilts,you will wear it more than once a year.just my opinion.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Kilted cabin boy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed! 5 yard wool all day! The weight alone makes it feel like a more solid garment, and something about the wool tartan that you just have wear it to understand it. Either way you're gonna get a great kilt from the folks at USA Kilts.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Manu For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

age comes into it, I think

A lot of what kind of attire you will want will also depend on your age,......I have just turned 70 so my styles are completely different from a young man's and I am likely not to change my fashion styles

When I decided I wanted my own kilt attire, I had only ever worn a rented PC, etc, and did that for two weddings. I also didn't know anyone who wore kilted attire except in a pipe band or to a Robbie Burns affair

I found a company that built kilts as well as rented kilted attire, about a 3 hour drive away, nothing local was available, and so off I went.
    I discussed things with the owner and of course there were things I hadn't considered. A few weeks later I took my wife with me to see what I was considering. After another discussion between my wife, the shop owner and myself, with more regards about the care and maintenance of a kilt, what I got was quite different from what I thought I was going to get ......the thought of formal attire was ended.....and so was the wool kilt.

I ended up with a tartan I hadn't considered and in a martin mills P/V material. The hose, Sporran, kilt, jacket, and waist coat, although not formal, that is to say neither black tie or white tie is perfectly acceptable, in my opinion, for any event I am likely to attend.
    Some of those across the pond may not think so, but I am very unlikely to wear my kilted attire anywhere, other than on my side of Canada, about as far from the "old country" as you can go

Since my first kilted attire, I have added a 16oz wool kilt from Lochcarron, built in a Canadian Maple leaf tartan that I absolutely love. I also had a favourite italian wool sports jacket, that I could no longer wear, altered to a kilt jacket. I have acquired another sporran and 4 different colours of hose. as well as 3 pairs of shoes.......As I was warned, Kilted attire is addicting

Being able to mix all the different aspects has really given me a number of ensembles, that I can wear at any time, be it casual, to the pub, sports venues, or out to dinner......If I am asked to attend another wedding then I see no reason why what form or combinations of attire I have would not be acceptable........If The groom and wedding party are in PC's etc......then I won't outshine them heh! heh!........

My suggestion to you with regards to purchasing kilted attire is go for QUALITY FIRST AND FOREMOST, you will never regret that ......and secondly get attire that you will wear often, as when wearing it you will become more confident in wearing your kilted attire, and find what it is that you really like and how you want to present yourself....... just my opinion and I hope it helps

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both and I think that you would be happier with the woolen 5-yard kilt. The PV has a harder hand/finish than the wool and I expect that the hand/feel of your dress uniform fabric is closer to the wool than the PV. I think the wool will look better with it as well. I know it would be closer to my old dress blue uniform from my Army days.

I think you will also appreciate the feel and swish of the wool over the PV.

Larry
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a semi-traditional in Holyrood and I have 5, 5 yard wool. I will say once I purchased my first wool I was hooked the wool just felt more comfortable and the 5 yard is well balance front to back and the wool breaths so even in the summer time I'm very comfortable. I also have 3 of USAkilts casual kilts. I highly recommend the 5 yard wool.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the kilt part of your uniform, I wonder? If it were me, yes I know its not, I would want to wear the best kilt that money could buy with my formal uniform. Nothing less than an bespoke 8 yard wool kilt -----" a tank" in xmarks terminology------would do. Making do would not be an option.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 18th February 18 at 02:48 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Is the kilt part of your uniform, I wonder? If it were me, yes I know its not, I would want to wear the best kilt that money could buy with my formal uniform. Nothing less than an bespoke 8 yard wool kilt -----" a tank" in xmarks terminology------would do. Making do would not be an option.

The OP suggested that his only options were PV, or 5 yard kilt, so I believe most responded to that dilemma. However, cost aside, you are absolutely correct, and when I wear the kilt as "part" of my military attire I would never wear one of my PVs, but only an 8 yarder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast