X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    17th June 15
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    604
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Removing silver tarnish marks from fur

    I recently purchased a very nice antique sporran with a silver cantle and silver balls on the tassles. These are probably plated only, I am guessing. The fur face is a very light color, and some of the tarnish from the balls has left dark streaks on it. How does one clean tarnish from fur without damaging the fur and leather bits? I'm not sure what kind of fur, but I'm guessing it may be seal, if that matters.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    29th January 18
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    145
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first impulse would be to bring it to a fur specialist and see what they say about it: many furriers will offer fur cleaning services through their storefront, and there are a few dry cleaners around as well who advertise as “leather and fur specialists”. A furrier in particular will have experience with food/makeup/other types of stains in fur.

    If you’re feeling adventurous and want to save money, you can try this techniques here, and alternate with a rubbing alcohol solution and home made fur conditioner.

    http://www.ebay.com/gds/Top-5-Ways-t...8706294/g.html

    The prudent approach would be to find a section of fur that’s invisible (perhaps the rear side of the panel’s overhang, or the underside of a fur gusset), and determine what adverse reaction if any the material might have to the alcohol mixture followed by the conditioner. Then if a bad outcomes seems likely you can just bring it to the pros.

    Any pictures of this sporran?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    17th June 15
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    604
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've already pulled off all the silver bits for cleaning, but here is what it looked like when I bought it.

    Screenshot_20180221-115916.jpg

  4. #4
    Join Date
    29th January 18
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    145
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wareyin View Post
    I've already pulled off all the silver bits for cleaning, but here is what it looked like when I bought it.

    Screenshot_20180221-115916.jpg
    Looks great! My suggestion still stands, it just depends on how proactive you want to be personally for the project.

  5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RichardtheLarge For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Join Date
    5th August 14
    Location
    Oxford, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,322
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use only one type of silver cleaner these days, that being an unflavored toothpaste. Any residue washes out with cold water and dried by hand. The products that my wife uses (Tarn-X) is an acid wash and leaves a chemical film on the metal that will be harder to remove from fabric and fur. I did find through experiments, of similar staining on her wool coat, that a mild hair shampoo and cold water soak will take out the discoloring.

    I can't say this will work on your sporran (which is beautiful) but I would hope so. I expect a furrier will use a chemical that won't destroy the follicles of the fur during the cleaning process. Good luck.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    17th June 15
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    604
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I use only one type of silver cleaner these days, that being an unflavored toothpaste. Any residue washes out with cold water and dried by hand. The products that my wife uses (Tarn-X) is an acid wash and leaves a chemical film on the metal that will be harder to remove from fabric and fur. I did find through experiments, of similar staining on her wool coat, that a mild hair shampoo and cold water soak will take out the discoloring.

    I can't say this will work on your sporran (which is beautiful) but I would hope so. I expect a furrier will use a chemical that won't destroy the follicles of the fur during the cleaning process. Good luck.
    Do you use toothpaste on silver plated items, or only solid silver? I would be worried that the abrasives would be harmful to silver plated things.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    5th August 14
    Location
    Oxford, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,322
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wareyin View Post
    Do you use toothpaste on silver plated items, or only solid silver? I would be worried that the abrasives would be harmful to silver plated things.
    All my silver pieces were made before 1960 and are solid (Sterling).

    I also would worry about wearing a plated finish off with abrasive polishing. I would consider the chemical washes and a wash that neutralizes the finish afterward. It is possible to apply a clear coat after an acceptable shine is achieved. That requires removing all metal from the sporran.

  9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:


  10. #8
    Join Date
    19th October 09
    Location
    South Queensferry, Scotland
    Posts
    594
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used a little baby shampoo with cold water and very gentle rubbing without damaging this kind of fur. However, as others have suggested, try this on an invisible area first ... under the cantle if you have removed it.
    It's coming yet for a' that,
    That Man to Man, the world o'er,
    Shall brothers be for a' that. - RB

  11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacRobert's Reply For This Useful Post:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0