X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extending use of my military kilt beyond formal events

I joined the forum recently having acquired my first (likely not my last) kilt. It's a vintage military Cameron Highlanders (Cameron of Erracht) kilt. I will be wearing it for the first time at a formal dinner in a few weeks, renting the rest of the kit, including a Prince Charlie jacket and waistcoat.

I would like to get out more in the kilt, in less formal circumstances, but am curious about how best to dress, acknowledging the high military rise of the kilt. I'd welcome suggestions, with photos.

Thank you.

MOTN

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great question!

First of all, the rise of a military kilt may not/ need not be higher than any other kilt.

Second, take a look at the pictures in this thread and I think you'll have a much better idea of some options. I suspect that it may confirm my hypothesis and further that it's exactly what you need.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-attire-46888/

Cheers & best wishes!

Bill+
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may find that a pullover/sweater worn with the kilt, will serve you well in any circumstance that is not formal. Should the climate be extreme then the pullover can be removed or added to as the situation requires.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The military-rise kilt will look fine with the same items you would wear with any other kilt. The rise won't make it look more or less formal. So feel free to wear it with your tweed Argyll, a sweater, or your more casual turtleneck, polo, or even "pirate" shirt.

Andrew

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries on the rise. As in the 1K10L thread, adapt it to your style and it is going to look grand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advice, and encouragement. I'm still getting used to kilt life.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MenOfTheNorth For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at this thread

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-attire-46888/

I agree with Jock a pullover would be a perfect match.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me there's nothing inherently formal about a traditional kilt.

As people above are saying it can be worn in any circumstance. You just change the accessories.

T-shirt, plain sporran, plain socks, trainers if it's warm.

Jumper if it's cool.

I've posted this before, it's one of the few photos of myself in that t-shirt & trainers outfit, at a Rugby match

The same kilt and sporran at a evening concert

Last edited by OC Richard; 28th February 18 at 07:00 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=OC Richard;1354120]

I've posted this before, it's one of the few photos of myself in that t-shirt & trainers outfit, at a Rugby match

Looks nice, but I'm afraid the bright blue shoelaces on your trainers would not be considered traditional................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're worried about the rise being too high one way to get round it is to fold your shirt or t shirt over the top to the level you think looks ok, can put a couple of pleats each side of the shirt or t shirt fold to gather it in more, and then put a wide belt over the top to mask the fold. I used to do this years ago as I used to wear an unissued Argyll's kilt which my Father had bought from an army surplus store when the regiment was going to disband (obviously it didn't) as the kilt was a little too long for me (waist fitted fine though). I never received any adverse comments from any fellow kilt wearer who saw it (though maybe someone will have something to say now?) .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast