X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve never met a tartan I didnt like

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Me cousin Jack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the palette of the muted Gunn tartan and think all the hose you've shown would work just fine. My go to hose colour however would be Claret. As for an Argyll jacket a Lovat Green or Blue would work just fine but I would most likely wear my Brown Argyll with this tartan.

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tokareva View Post
    This was my first real kilt, I wanted the Gun tartan because my ggrandmother was a Johnson. I know its probably pure fantasy that there is any connection to the Clan Gunn but that's what I was told I could wear years ago and it stuck.

Where the mistake was made was not getting the modern or ancient tartan,or even the weathered. I was afraid the pastel colors wouldn't be easy to match and the dark is nice but seemed a little plain I guess. So for some crazy reason I chose the muted, I can't find anything that looks right or good with this kilt ,not even socks. The idea of the muted tartan came from the pic of the chief,he looks OK...but I don't want to look like a leprechaun all the time.

Is there any way to make this kilt look better?
    I completely disagree. I think that's a fine looking tartan, and goes well with any of those hose, though I agree with OC Richard that the Bison colored hose go particularly well. You're over thinking this, and looking too hard at the kilt thinking it's ugly when it's not. Use some of the suggestions here in this thread, and come up with some of your own color combination ideas, and you'll look great in that kilt.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to KiltedSergeant For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just putting a burgundy warp on my loom and I thought - burgundy would go with that.
    The tartan colours are a bit cold, and the burgundy is a rich warm colour which would add a bit of a zing to the outfit without getting overly intrusive.

There is a leather colour called ox-blood which might also prove useful - but with neutral hose.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks good to my eyes. To me any of those hose, excepting the blue on the far right, would look fine with your kilt. Wear it in good health!

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jumpmonkey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fine looking tartan.

Good choice in the pleating to the red stripe.

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Personally the two colours I would avoid are the tartan's two main ground-colours, those specific shades of green and blue.

Of the various hose you have in that photo my favourite is the taupe (what Cheviot calls "Bison") for the very reason that the tartan lacks that colour.

About avoiding the kilts' main ground-colours, there's an optical effect that happens when you juxtapose a jacket hose etc of one of a kilt's main ground-colours upon the kilt: that colour is diminished in the kilt, drained out of the kilt, making the kilt look more muted and dull.

The opposite effect, intensifying one of the kilt's colours, happens when you juxtapose something of a colour brighter/more intense and shifted one way or the other around the colour-wheel.
    I subscribe to this also. Let the kilt stand on it's own. Don't try to blend it with the rest of your attire.

The only thing I would also suggest is to try either claret or tartan red hose to pick up the red stripe in the kilt, as that's not one of the kilt's main colors. I'm not sure from the photo, but it looks like tartan red would be the better choice.
    Last edited by MacKenzie; 1st March 18 at 08:34 AM.
    Tulach Ard

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love your muted Gunn tartan! And this is coming from someone with Sutherland and Sinclair ancestry. ;)
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike S For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the pics are a selection of accessories and you outfitted, I'm not sure what your concern is. Looks smashing!

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to be clear folks, this is not me...I don't even know who it is. I just know its someone wearing a very unattractive kilt that looks a lot like mine.I agree that everything looks smashing...except the kilt.

Studio_20170201_200228.jpg
    UglyToAmbulance.jpg
    Last edited by tokareva; 1st March 18 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tokareva View Post
    Just to be clear folks, this is not me...I don't even know who it is. I just know its someone wearing a very unattractive kilt that looks a lot like mine.I agree that everything looks smashing...except the kilt.

He is Iain Alexander Gunn of Banniskirk, Chief of Clan Gunn.

http://www.scotclans.com/a-new-chief...ter-230-years/
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 1st March 18 at 03:21 PM.

19. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast