X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless of the relative merits of the styles, I find the fabric you’ve selected marvelous. Very much looking forward to the photos!

It will be a long ten weeks, indeed.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to RichardtheLarge For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I feel much better on the choice, and Jock pushed me over the line. Jock's comments are usually on target and I appreciate his honesty and frankness.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

4. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a jacket and waistcoat made by them recently, it finally arrived a few weeks ago and I wore it to a colleague's retirement party (apologies for having to tilt your heads):
    IMG_2018-02-23_22-42-38.jpg
    I went with the simpler style they offer as I really like the clean look and silhouette and it is hands down the best kilt jacket I've ever had or handled. To do better I'd expect you'd have to go full bespoke like McMurdo. I think you'll be quite pleased when you have it in hand.

6. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to tweedhead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tweedhead View Post
    I had a jacket and waistcoat made by them recently, it finally arrived a few weeks ago and I wore it to a colleague's retirement party (apologies for having to tilt your heads):
    IMG_2018-02-23_22-42-38.jpg
    I went with the simpler style they offer as I really like the clean look and silhouette and it is hands down the best kilt jacket I've ever had or handled. To do better I'd expect you'd have to go full bespoke like McMurdo. I think you'll be quite pleased when you have it in hand.
    That is a wonderful looking set. I'd wear them in a heartbeat. Nice looking Maple Leaf tartan as well, where abouts in Canada are you if you don't mind my asking.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks great with our national tartan!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    That is a wonderful looking set. I'd wear them in a heartbeat. Nice looking Maple Leaf tartan as well, where abouts in Canada are you if you don't mind my asking.
    I live in Hamilton, Ontario

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Hamilton, Ontario
    If you are ever in Toronto on the first Tuesday of the month please stop by at our Tartan Tuesday kilt night.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is so good to hear. I have only been told they do excellent work, but really never have seen the results, but even better is that you are happy with the cut and fit. It looks great with your kilt. I will be placing order end of this month, been saving for several months to make this purchase, and getting close, have been in touch with the House of Labhran and provided measurement, and talked to them, we are ready to go, just got to pay the piper.

Here is the tweed that I have finally chosen as I have rethought the entire purchase.

This will be worn with the MacDonald Ancient what you see on my avatar, and the MacDonald Clanranald modern dress. I chose a neutral gray with a slight line in deep blue/red color. I think it will work just fine.
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 19th March 18 at 08:53 AM.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Collin:

I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase. The fabric isn't terribly different from the Kirkton Tweed offered by Slanj, which seems to be paired with a MacDonald tartan in the image below. (I trust you will forgo the ruche tie!)

I acquired one of these some time back, and it even works with my red Maxwell!

Looking forward to seeing photos of the finished product!

SM
    Last edited by ShaunMaxwell; 11th April 18 at 04:01 PM.
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great thread, what lovely outfits.

Shaun that is beautiful, the tweed, the sporran, the hose, everything.

And McMurdo's amazing outfits... one could publish a complete guide to modern traditional Highland Dress with his outfits providing the illustrations.

I will say that the jacket shown in the OP doesn't strike me as being a "day kilt jacket" at all, but a modern portmanteau creation.

I just now looked over around 100 vintage photos and I don't see any doublets in tweed. The doublets are of finer, dressier cloth, the tweed jackets are the cutaway style, and ne'er the twain shall meet.

Here's tweed, an elaborate jacket with gauntlet cuffs and a fancy breast pocket

So often the old tweed jackets are quite plain, but with plenty of pockets

The doublets are of finer stuff

Even velvet

Last edited by OC Richard; 22nd March 18 at 06:32 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

18. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast