X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

flat bottomed wais coat

Quote Originally Posted by tweedhead View Post
    I had a jacket and waistcoat made by them recently, it finally arrived a few weeks ago and I wore it to a colleague's retirement party (apologies for having to tilt your heads):
    Attachment 33488
    I went with the simpler style they offer as I really like the clean look and silhouette and it is hands down the best kilt jacket I've ever had or handled. To do better I'd expect you'd have to go full bespoke like McMurdo. I think you'll be quite pleased when you have it in hand.
    Thank-you so much for posting the photo and especially with the flat bottomed waist coat. Being a fellow with a rather large aspect I can see that the flat bottomed waist coat may help to lessen the protrusion, a waist coat with points often makes the larger tummy more pronounced..... it also allows the sporran to be worn a bit higher (which I like) without interfering with the waist coat.....thanx again
    Last edited by Terry Searl; 25th March 18 at 09:53 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the first straight-bottomed waistcoat I've owned, kilt outfit or otherwise, and now having tried it I quite like the style. I probably won't need another set for a long long time, but when I do I'll absolutely be getting a similar piece of kit.

Cheers!

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tweedhead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After getting the tartan kilt suit done with a straight bottom I would not have it any other way, in fact I am looking for someone to alter one of my older sets to become a straight bottom waistcoat.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The day has arrived, and the order was placed with House of Labhran

The tweed I purchased:

The Day Jacket:

The Waistcoat:

Matching Tam O'Shanter, TOS, old military style matching material.

Jacket and Vest will have Brown covered leather buttons, vest will have watch pockets.

Will have by June for games in Nova Scotia.

Very excited now. The waiting is the hardest part.
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 27th March 18 at 08:18 AM.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    After getting the tartan kilt suit done with a straight bottom I would not have it any other way, in fact I am looking for someone to alter one of my older sets to become a straight bottom waistcoat.
    I was considering the same thing. I saw a vest online that I might like, but it has the points. (I do have several pointed vests I wear with my kilts, but I'd like variety.) My thought was to find a seamstress/tailor that might modify it. Does anyone know if that can be done? Has anyone ever done that?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jose995 View Post
    I was considering the same thing. I saw a vest online that I might like, but it has the points. (I do have several pointed vests I wear with my kilts, but I'd like variety.) My thought was to find a seamstress/tailor that might modify it. Does anyone know if that can be done? Has anyone ever done that?
    I had a local seamstress remove the points from my charcoal Crail jacket and was pleased with the result:

I feel certain you can find someone to do it for you.

Good luck!

SM
    Last edited by ShaunMaxwell; 11th April 18 at 03:53 PM.
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

11. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    The day has arrived, and the order was placed with House of Labhran

The tweed I purchased:

I have been looking at green/brown tweeds for a future jacket, but it is always hard to imagine what it looks like when all you can see is a small swatch so I look forward to seeing the finished product, I really hope it is as nice as it looks.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nomad For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jose995 View Post
    The person I am working with is bespoken meaning, they will make it the way you want to have it made, each one is made for the customer who orders it, custom made, I am sure they would dow what you wish. My vest I am having them add two small pockets for the pocket watch, not a problem. You pay a little for for this service, but you get what you want. Check them out.
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I have been looking at green/brown tweeds for a future jacket, but it is always hard to imagine what it looks like when all you can see is a small swatch so I look forward to seeing the finished product, I really hope it is as nice as it looks.
    They are sending me a swatch of this material tomorrow, should get it by next week. It actually has more blue/green with brown in it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345