X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Level(s) of formality

Hi!

I've read the comment that a full-mask sporran can be worn for either day-wear or evening dress. I rather think that it might well make the cut at a black-tie event, but is it considered dressy enough to go to a white-tie event? If not, how high up the scale should it go at most?

I'm not interested in hearing from the "It's-your-sporran-and-you-can-wear-whatever-you-want-wherever-you-want" school of thought. I respect that it's technically true, but there are some things that simply aren't considered old-school correct by those who know and care and I do care but don't know, so I'm asking about the traditional Highland interpretation today and in recent times.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With your stipulation that comment must be of the old-school-correct school of thought, FP: traditional mask sporrans quite acceptable white-tie are fur mammals of the Highlands, such as badger, fox, pine marten, wild cat, seal. I've not seen one myself, but I would think otter would also fall into that category. Most often for white-tie they are silver-mounted, but not always. White tie occasions are rare these days, even in Scotland.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rex. You're one of those whose opinion on this sort of thing I respect. The list of animals was not something I expected. Interesting.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to approach this from a manufacturers point of view. A Rob Roy style sporran is quick to make and uses basic materials. A cost that reflects affordability to the masses. This would be found at everyday events where replacement is handy if the sporran is damaged.

A full face sporran takes the skill of a tanner, leather form construction (as some type as a structure) and skill to assemble. The cost would be greater due to the quality of the finished product. A beautiful full face sporran is something to show off with pride. I can see it as an accessory to a white tie event. Replacement would be difficult and costly.

A sporran with a fur or hair covered front would be my second choice (in level of dress standards from the top) because replacing the fur would be easier with a skill still required for the repair. The fur can vary to match the color schemes of the rest of the attire.

I hope this train of thought helps when deciding which sporran would work for you, Father Bill, or others facing the same situation.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An interesting perspective!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Thanks Rex. You're one of those whose opinion on this sort of thing I respect. The list of animals was not something I expected. Interesting.
    What was surprising, FP?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I'd like to approach this from a manufacturers point of view. A Rob Roy style sporran is quick to make and uses basic materials. A cost that reflects affordability to the masses. This would be found at everyday events where replacement is handy if the sporran is damaged.

A full face sporran takes the skill of a tanner, leather form construction (as some type as a structure) and skill to assemble. The cost would be greater due to the quality of the finished product. A beautiful full face sporran is something to show off with pride. I can see it as an accessory to a white tie event. Replacement would be difficult and costly.

A sporran with a fur or hair covered front would be my second choice (in level of dress standards from the top) because replacing the fur would be easier with a skill still required for the repair. The fur can vary to match the color schemes of the rest of the attire.

I hope this train of thought helps when deciding which sporran would work for you, Father Bill, or others facing the same situation.
    Good point of view, Tarheel. Most of the sporrans one sees at a white-tie occasion in Scotland will have been inherited, I'm sure. For example, wild cats. Seal (true seal and not faux) sporrans are still available newly-made in the UK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    What was surprising, FP?
    Just the limitation. It hadn't occurred to me when looking at some of the manufacturers' sites. I've ordered a brown muskrat from L & M, and I guess it could be Canadian traditional but not Scottish traditional based on your list. It's just the one that most appealed to me. Shipped this morning. (Jones, Jones)

Last edited by Father Bill; 1st December 17 at 04:33 PM.

13. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pictures when received please

I look forward to seeing photos of the muskrat sporran when you receive it......have they said when you should receive it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Searl View Post
    I look forward to seeing photos of the muskrat sporran when you receive it......have they said when you should receive it!
    Canada Post predicts Wednesday. I have a white tie event in January, but it may likely make its debut ahead of that.

[Edit: Canada Post now says Thursday. It’s Christmas delivery time after all.]
    Last edited by Father Bill; 1st December 17 at 06:24 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast