X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    14th December 17
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Looking for a sgian brew

    I use and carry a folding knife at all times. I am kilted daily and usually have it clipped to a kilt Strap. I would like to find a sgian brew with a blade that can be sharpened. Any ideas? Oh, I also don’t want a reasonable price.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    10th October 08
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Posts
    1,443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clarify ... are you looking for a sgian dubh (the 3 to 4" fixed-blade knife that is usually carried in the top of the hose) or the bottle opener often found with a stag handle that is commonly referred to as a "sgian brew" and carried in place of the blade when one finds oneself in locations where fixed blades - even short ones - may not be permitted?

    I have one of each. I ordered the knife from The British Shop early on in my kilting enthusiasm without really knowing much about what's available. It's one of the plastic-handled, plastic-sheathed clan crest knives with an imitation Cairngorm stone on the pommel. It holds an edge OK, but knowing what I know now, I would get a better knife with a leather sheath.

    I found the bottle opener when I was at a Highland Games. I don't recall which Games nor the vendor. I've also seen combs and other non-knife accouterments handled for the hose-top, but they're much more rare than the bottle opener.

    Most Highland outfitters will probably carry both. There are some specialists or hobbyists that you could order a custom job from.
    John

  3. #3
    Join Date
    23rd March 12
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    1,890
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

  4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Richrail For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Join Date
    11th July 05
    Location
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Posts
    260
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 008kilts View Post
    I use and carry a folding knife at all times. I am kilted daily and usually have it clipped to a kilt Strap. I would like to find a sgian brew with a blade that can be sharpened. Any ideas? Oh, I also don’t want a reasonable price.
    Look on the KaBar web site for a bottle opener with a small knife-like handle. Voila! a sgian-brew that is adequate for day dress. I have one and they fit into the hose-top very well. If you need a dress one, well, you probably won't need a dress sgian-brew - if you're going to an affair in Highland evening dress, I have feeling that drinks and bottle openers will be available.

    https://www.kabar.com/accessories/46

  6. #5
    Join Date
    25th September 04
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada 1123.6536.5321
    Posts
    5,079
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps something along these lines.

    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

  7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Join Date
    14th December 17
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    Just to clarify ... are you looking for a sgian dubh (the 3 to 4" fixed-blade knife that is usually carried in the top of the hose) or the bottle opener often found with a stag handle that is commonly referred to as a "sgian brew" and carried in place of the blade when one finds oneself in locations where fixed blades - even short ones - may not be permitted?

    I have one of each. I ordered the knife from The British Shop early on in my kilting enthusiasm without really knowing much about what's available. It's one of the plastic-handled, plastic-sheathed clan crest knives with an imitation Cairngorm stone on the pommel. It holds an edge OK, but knowing what I know now, I would get a better knife with a leather sheath.

    I found the bottle opener when I was at a Highland Games. I don't recall which Games nor the vendor. I've also seen combs and other non-knife accouterments handled for the hose-top, but they're much more rare than the bottle opener.

    Most Highland outfitters will probably carry both. There are some specialists or hobbyists that you could order a custom job from.
    Thanks,
    008

  9. #7
    Join Date
    14th December 17
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sgian brew

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Perhaps something along these lines.

    Thanks,
    Where May this be found?

    008

  10. #8
    Join Date
    25th September 04
    Location
    Victoria, BC, Canada 1123.6536.5321
    Posts
    5,079
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone with a Gaelic Themes Commercial account can get one of these for you.

    I have them in stock but will need to know what crest you prefer. You can have them in a Clan/Family crest or one of the generic ones such as thistle, rampant lion.
    You can have the X Marks crest in the center -



    Or even the one on the right. - If you don't read Latin this says "Don't let the bastards grind you down".
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 13th March 18 at 12:03 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

  11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Join Date
    14th December 17
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sgian Dubh search

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Anyone with a Gaelic Themes Commercial account can get one of these for you.

    I have them in stock but will need to know what crest you prefer. You can have them in a Clan/Family crest or one of the generic ones such as thistle, rampant lion.
    You can have the X Marks crest in the center -



    Or even the one on the right. - If you don't read Latin this says "Don't let the bastards grind you down".
    Thanks Wizard,
    What about price, shipping and any issues putting a “weapon” in the mail?

    008kilts

  13. #10
    Join Date
    14th December 17
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sgian brew

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    Just to clarify ... are you looking for a sgian dubh (the 3 to 4" fixed-blade knife that is usually carried in the top of the hose) or the bottle opener often found with a stag handle that is commonly referred to as a "sgian brew" and carried in place of the blade when one finds oneself in locations where fixed blades - even short ones - may not be permitted?

    I have one of each. I ordered the knife from The British Shop early on in my kilting enthusiasm without really knowing much about what's available. It's one of the plastic-handled, plastic-sheathed clan crest knives with an imitation Cairngorm stone on the pommel. It holds an edge OK, but knowing what I know now, I would get a better knife with a leather sheath.

    I found the bottle opener when I was at a Highland Games. I don't recall which Games nor the vendor. I've also seen combs and other non-knife accouterments handled for the hose-top, but they're much more rare than the bottle opener.

    Most Highland outfitters will probably carry both. There are some specialists or hobbyists that you could order a custom job from.
    Thanks, I am searching for a sgian with a sharp blade and bottle opener.
    008kilts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0