X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Irish flat cap with Scottish Kilt

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, mix it up

23 41.07%
  • No,

23 41.07%
  • Yes, with Clan Badge/Kilt Pin on Cap

0 0%
  • Yes, without Clan Badge/Kilt Pin on cap

10 17.86%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scotch/Irish mix

Hello all,

I have an opinion question, I've looked and see nothing definitive one way or the other on this:

I have both Scottish and Irish heritage. Primarily Scottish, my first kilt is of my Scottish heritage. I will be debuting it during a Scottish festival in May. I would also like to tip my hat to my Irish heritage, but getting the Irish kilt is out of the question pending finances and asking someone from that family for their blessings to wear it. As a compromise, I thought of getting an Irish flat cap with or without the Irish family's crest (I can get the blessing for either tartan or crest very quickly, so I am not worried about that).

My question is a 2 part, and the poll is above. Please let me know what you think and add any input you wish.

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by The TALL TN Scot; 12th March 18 at 11:45 AM.
    Never run or do jumping jacks while wearing a heavy sporran
    "500 years before Christ was born, a highlander stepped on the bloated carcass of a sheep and the bagpipes were born"
    Stabo (I shall stand)

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The TALL TN Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I frequently wear my flatcap with my kilt...when going casual. Your head and feet are the bookends to your outfit, make them count.
    That said, I never really equated the flatcap with "Irish" per se, but that's my ignorance.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Adoom For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I would not. I do not like to mix my cultural celebrations if I can help it. For instance, while I know that usa kilts has a German heritage tartan and I am a member of the German American society of San Diego, I would never buy a kilt in that tartan in an attempt to celebrate my mixed German/highland Scottish ancestry. Furthermore I would never mix in, say, my trachten hat with a kilt.

It’s somewhat different with the Irish aspect because there is some kilt wearing history in Ireland, even if it’s recent. So I do not find it objectionable to wear Irish tartans or saffron kilts. However, it seems to me that Irish kilts are generally worn in the highland fashion and I would not mix Irish traditional clothing with the kilt.

Now this is only my opinion on the matter based on the particular question asked.

Another thing i thought of though, with flat caps being so popular with kilt wearers in the US, will people actually understand that you’re wearing it to celebrate your Irish heritage? Because flat caps are so popular with Americans, the non kilted public may assume that it’s a traditional Scottish kilted look (even if it’s not)and miss your point entirely. Just a thought.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    Personally I would not. I do not like to mix my cultural celebrations if I can help it. For instance, while I know that usa kilts has a German heritage tartan and I am a member of the German American society of San Diego, I would never buy a kilt in that tartan in an attempt to celebrate my mixed German/highland Scottish ancestry. Furthermore I would never mix in, say, my trachten hat with a kilt.

It’s somewhat different with the Irish aspect because there is some kilt wearing history in Ireland, even if it’s recent. So I do not find it objectionable to wear Irish tartans or saffron kilts. However, it seems to me that Irish kilts are generally worn in the highland fashion and I would not mix Irish traditional clothing with the kilt.

Now this is only my opinion on the matter based on the particular question asked.

Another thing i thought of though, with flat caps being so popular with kilt wearers in the US, will people actually understand that you’re wearing it to celebrate your Irish heritage? Because flat caps are so popular with Americans, the non kilted public may assume that it’s a traditional Scottish kilted look (even if it’s not)and miss your point entirely. Just a thought.
    The likelihood of anyone knowing or noticing is very slim to none and, in fact, this combination does seem to be popular in the US from what I can see. My biggest thing is that I will know, which doesn't necessarily bother me, I'm just curious to what others think... I don't want to give the impression of "trying too hard" or being uneducated to those that might know that I am wearing a Scottish kilt with an Irish style cap.
    Never run or do jumping jacks while wearing a heavy sporran
    "500 years before Christ was born, a highlander stepped on the bloated carcass of a sheep and the bagpipes were born"
    Stabo (I shall stand)

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The TALL TN Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might find this thread of interest.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My worthless 2p. It’s a better choice than a baseball cap, worn backwards.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

12. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Baeau For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The TALL TN Scot View Post
    The likelihood of anyone knowing or noticing is very slim to none and, in fact, this combination does seem to be popular in the US from what I can see. My biggest thing is that I will know, which doesn't necessarily bother me, I'm just curious to what others think... I don't want to give the impression of "trying too hard" or being uneducated to those that might know that I am wearing a Scottish kilt with an Irish style cap.
    Well, the flat cap is a topic of much disagreement here. I don't think you really have to worry about anyone necessarily thinking you're ignorant. Some people like the look and others don't but since you see it a lot I don't think it really implies ignorance even if it isn't traditional. You see a lot of knowledgeable folks here who choose to wear it just because they like it.

I'm still uncomfortable mixing cultural items but that's just me. If I did wear a kilt to celebrate my Irish heritage (I have a small amount), I would still follow Highland kilted dress conventions. But I might wear more items with shamrocks on them ;) and maybe a dark green balmoral similar to the Royal Irish regiment pipe band.

I think it works and is still distinctive and I like the saffron more than the green tartans:

Last edited by FossilHunter; 12th March 18 at 02:48 PM. Reason: first photo was too damn big
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my flat cap

I've been wearing a "flat cap", called a "news boy" cap for almost 60 years and have seen it come in and go out of style many times..... My Irish relations wear it when it's in style and don't, when it isn't, but they are a few years younger than me so likely a bit more style concious. I don't think any of them consider it particularly part of Irish dress.

My Scots forebears have all gone on but when they were alive I don't remember any of them worrying about a flat cap being considered part of any national dress, Irish, Scots, English, Canadian, or American. They may have but not enough to make mention of it.

It seems to me that on this site it is really the North Americans and more particularly the Americans that want to associate even the smallest article of clothing with some part of the Scottish nationality or their heritage
    Having said that, I wear my kilted attire, not as a Highland costume or in any reference to the Highlands. As I've said many times before, I'm not from the Highlands and don't pretend to be .......I'm a west coast Canadian and my tartans are Canada's Maple Leaf and the Victoria , City of Gardens tartan.......... I suppose I could claim Armstrong and MacKenzie of Lewis tartans in my ancestry because there is a distant family connection, but I don't because both tartans I wear are directly linked to me, not distantly......And both give me a great pleasure to wear........
    So if wearing a Newsboy or a flat cap distinguishes me as NOT being a Highland Scot, then I'm not offended. They were never and aren't intended to make me out to be something I'm not even distantly ........ I suppose that is why, in my opinion, I say wear what gives ya' pleasure and if you think it is honouring your Scots heritage and that gives ya' pleasure than Good On Ya'

In this photo you can barely see my newsboy cap but it's there perched on the back of my head

It is the button in the centre of the top of my cap that differentiates it from other flat caps

Last edited by Terry Searl; 12th March 18 at 04:41 PM.

16. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to display your Irish pride maybe you should consider something more traditional...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	size-os.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	33420

Name:	sm-25241-leprechaun-hat_a1.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	33421

...that way I will be able to recognize you at the festival. If the balmoral I ordered doesn't work out I will also be wearing a flat cap. Unless it's hot weather, in that case I plan to wear my pith helmet to show my English heritage and keep my head cool at the same time.

Name:	001972_01.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	33422
    Last edited by tokareva; 12th March 18 at 08:34 PM.

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tokareva For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    ...maybe a dark green balmoral similar to the Royal Irish regiment pipe band.
    Is it a balmoral or a caubeen?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast