X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would you accessorize my kilt?

Hi everyone!

So, I've finally gotten my first kilt, yay!

Now, I'm in the process of choosing accessorices. I know it is personal preferences but would be fun to know how you would do it with this tartan.

The first things I guess would be sporran and hose to go with it.

ny.JPG
    Last edited by frikke82; 26th March 18 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Added image

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A picture might help, but we also need to know where & for what kind of activity or event you're planning to wear it.

Have you looked at the 1 kilt, 10 looks thread found here: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-attire-46888/ ? (Scroll down - the first set don't work any longer, but the second set can be seen just fine.)
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct, a sporran and a pair of hose would be a good start. Depending on your personal style you might want to look into belts, jackets, vests/waistcoats, caps, or kilt pins yet these can often wait as the kilt accessories will most likely accumulate over time.

A simple day sporran, either a hunting sporran or a sporran with a flap, will most likely be the best sporran to start with as they can go with almost anything. For the sporran you will also want a chain, strap/belt, or hangers to hold up the sporran. Most people on this site, including myself, would recommend a sporran strap/belt over a sporran chain as the strap is smoother so it will not snag, looks great, and is easy to make as it is basically a leather strap normally between 10 mm and 15 mm wide with a buckle in the back. I made my sporran strap by braiding flat leather lacing, yet not everyone likes the braided leather look.

As for the kilt hose, most people avoid white hose for various reasons yet you can go with whatever color hose you want.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to LKM For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your answers. Added image since the first one just got attached to the thread.

What would you say color wise? I think brown leather should be okay, but guess that would be more daywear. So cover a bigger range, do you think black leather is a better choice?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To Scots it seems, black or brown sporrans are equally formal/ informal, the most important factor being the metal cantle and furry front for formality, and by the way, you can wear black shoes with a brown sporran. Now, to North American eyes, leathers must match. It's a continental style fetish, I think.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest a pair of grey hose, a black hunting sporran with strap, a black day wear belt. For dressier wear you could wear a white long sleeve shirt with a tie, perhaps in maroon or burgundy with hose garters to match. Throw a v-neck sweater or sweater vest over top and it would look pretty sharp. (And of course a polished pair of dress shoes.
    For more casual, put on a rugby shirt, up top, change the shoes to something more casual, and off to the pub you go!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

10. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to start from the ground and build upward. What shoes? (I have three pair - two black, one brown and brown boots) The footwear will dictate my hose (formal, casual or utility). Then it is wear or not wear flashes. I have black and brown sporrans to fit the mood of the event (casual or more formal). I go to a shirt that fits the event and then it is with or with out a tie, vest or jacket.

I do all this with the kilt on my waist and standing in front of the closet and chest of drawers. I can turn to face a mirror and hold items up to compare the look. Note: I still beat my wife dressing by thirty minutes but will never look as lovely. As long as I don't embarrass her in public, I win.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With this particular kilt, I would accentuate the black and blue in the tartan and go with a black sporran and belt and shoes.

Then the hose, depending on your mood, could also be black or a high contrast color. Yellow or orange could be quite fun.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RichardtheLarge For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frikke82 View Post
    Hi everyone!

So, I've finally gotten my first kilt, yay!

Now, I'm in the process of choosing accessorices. I know it is personal preferences but would be fun to know how you would do it with this tartan.

The first things I guess would be sporran and hose to go with it.

ny.JPG
    That's really cool. I am looking forward to what it is you have pieced together for the final product.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardtheLarge View Post
    With this particular kilt, I would accentuate the black and blue in the tartan and go with a black sporran and belt and shoes.

Then the hose, depending on your mood, could also be black or a high contrast color. Yellow or orange could be quite fun.
    I think this is the right idea. I personally wouldn't wear orange but maybe more muted contrasting colors like mustard or any non blue, darker colors like claret. Even an ancient blue.

I'd probably avoid navy or black hose though. The tartan is so dark and the blue so prominent that it would be a little drab to my eyes.

For the shoes, black is always a good bet and you may already have a pair of black shoes. As for a sporran, i think that's more personal but either black or brown is fine and I think plain leather is much more versatile than anything with fur or metal.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast