X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a waistcoat?

Greetings all,

I have a friends wedding coming up in May. I have been "kilted" for a few years, but this will be the first time I wear it more formally. I do not yet own a PC or Argyll jacket. However, I do own a few waistcoats that could go well with the kilt. If I pair my kilt with a waistcoat, white shirt, and solid (kilt accenting) tie wold that be acceptable or am I committing a major "No-no". Thoughts?

(I do plan on purchasing a Argyll Jacket once I have the funds to do so)

Cheers,

Doug

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's two things to consider:

1. asked to be kilted or your choice, and
    2. are other guests in jacket

If 2 is 'yes', then you might consider that other guests won't understand that your waistcoat is in lieu of your pull-over/jumper/sweater with tie (because May can be warm for wearing a good quality sweater). Lots of pipe bands wear vests, and I have also on occasion with a solid colour shirt and tie when it seemed suitable. If 2 is "no", then you can basically ignore everything ahead of this sentence.

1 is not terribly relevant either way, except if you were asked and the dress code is jacket then you might have to respectfully decline the request if you want to conform (I almost snorted my coffee ..kilts..conform..). If there's no real dress code, then your waistcoat is not a bad option to bring it up a notch. Just don't break the big rule - no out-shining the bride

IMO

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO.......first, I would ask your friend whose wedding it is of their opinion. Ask them how formal it is, and if they think a vest without jacket is acceptable. In the states, many weddings are fairly informal, even in the evening. Sometimes friends want to be accommodating, however, and might lead you into a situation where everyone else is in formal attire, and you're left feeling out of place. Is it a daytime or evening affair? If daytime it is more likely to be less formal. If it's in the evening, and formal, then wearing only a waistcoat would be inappropriate.

Talk to your friend, get them to be honest with you as to the level of attire, then you can make a safe decision.

One option that some here might find offensive, but I've seen it done, is to wear a Saxon jacket with the kilt. Most people at the wedding, unless they're kilt knowledgeable wouldn't know the difference. Another option- if the wedding is formal- is to rent a PC. It's not too costly, and might solve your problem.

Good luck.

5. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to KiltedSergeant For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never look better than the Bride.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Me cousin Jack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This question is impossible to answer without knowing the time of day and place (indoors, outdoors, church, courthouse, pizza parlour, etc.) of the ceremony, as well as the level of dress expected. The latter is the most important regardless of the former.
    Last edited by Tobus; 3rd April 18 at 01:44 PM.

9. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jose995 View Post
    .....Another option- if the wedding is formal- is to rent a PC. It's not too costly, and might solve your problem.

Good luck.
    Should a PC be required, one of the X Marks Partners offers A La Carte rentals. A PC & vest for $60-ish.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Baeau For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without more info I would say yes!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general a waistcoat and tie without a jacket is acceptable. At a wedding, this would depend on other factors, such as location and if there is a dress code listed on the invitation. Here is Colorado, most of the state is more casual and relaxed then some other parts of the US and a waistcoat and tie combo would be more accepted then in many other places.

While an Argyll, Tweed jacket, or Prince Charlie would be options as a wedding guest, there might be other options. One option is to find a suit jacket that fits decently with a kilt.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is okay to wear a different colored shirt (than white) unless you are a member of the wedding ceremony and all are wearing white shirts. This may subdue your presence in the crowd without distracting, by being unique to the rest of the attendee's attire. I am thinking of group photos where only those closest to the camera show the clothes covering their legs.

I fall back on the old rhyme, "April showers bring May flowers." I was married on May 1st and believe in promoting color for the season and event. My best wishes for your friend.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have attended a wedding in the US in such attire. First I obtained the bride's permission through her mother. I wore a silver buttoned argyle and waistcoat . The temperatures that day were oppresive, so I left the jacket in the car and went with waistcoat. It all worked out well.
    Commissioner of Clan Strachan, Central United States.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast