X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wearing a dirk casually

At 3:36 in this video you can see a dirk of some kind.
    How common is it to wear one informally like this.
    A few people have mentioned that I need one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=288s&v=oHn5V2AU_rs
    Last edited by tokareva; 13th January 18 at 06:48 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tokareva View Post
    I was already thinking a British Commando knife might look pretty good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=288s&v=oHn5V2AU_rs
    The wearing of a dirk casually..... Sorry not. Also the discussion of a British Commando knife is likely in violation of the forum rules. Before this gets flagged I’d suggest you consider editing your post.
    Cheers....
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To clarify - If someone is wearing a British Commando Knife, A Fairbairn/Sikes, with their kilt, this is the proper forum section to post.

With that said, I know this young man. He is one of those "More Scottish than the Scots" who prides himself of his "Traditional" approach to kilt wearing. To him wearing a dirk with a kilt is required to keep the Tradition even though everything else about his outfit is casual and modern.

He is one of those who will wear a kilt, jacket, vest, hose, fly plaid all in the same Tartan and tell anyone who will listen how correct and traditional he is.

Do you really need a dirk? Well if you are a pipe major and it is part of your uniform - Or going to cut the haggis - Then maybe. Otherwise i can't think of a single reason to need a knife that large today.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

5. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    To clarify - If someone is wearing a British Commando Knife, A Fairbairn/Sikes, with their kilt, this is the proper forum section to post.

With that said, I know this young man. He is one of those "More Scottish than the Scots" who prides himself of his "Traditional" approach to kilt wearing. To him wearing a dirk with a kilt is required to keep the Tradition even though everything else about his outfit is casual and modern.

He is one of those who will wear a kilt, jacket, vest, hose, fly plaid all in the same Tartan and tell anyone who will listen how correct and traditional he is.

Do you really need a dirk? Well if you are a pipe major and it is part of your uniform - Or going to cut the haggis - Then maybe. Otherwise i can't think of a single reason to need a knife that large today.
    Thank you Steve,I was also thinking the size of the dirk was ridiculously large just to be wearing around,that's one reason I was considering the British Commando,I think it might look smart and also be utilitarian. It might look completely crazy to kilt people though. I'm not certain how it would look myself ,but would definitely prefer it over the dirk.
    Last edited by tokareva; 13th January 18 at 10:09 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure why you would want too, other than in certain circumstances (outlined by Steve) no-one in Scotland does. I have an 18th century dirk I inherited, I've worn it once when doing a reenactment walk 40 years ago. It sits in pride of place on the dresser.

8. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing scares me more than someone in a position of power that starts using the "N Word" in a discussion that has as its desired end state the regulation of me, my possessions or my behavior. Yes, "Need" scares me more than any other word in the English language.

10. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose one could wear any sort of knife they wanted at any time. However wearing a knife with a kilt (other than a Sgian Dhu) runs into a couple of factors that right or wrong will come into play.

First is it really all that traditional to wear any modern knife? It would seem to me to be a mutually exclusive thing, Although as times change and forms of dress change, a modern knife with modern clothing does seem to be the most appropriate choice. A more traditional knife would look oddly out of place.

Secondly is the fact that to many who are uneducated, the kilt has a certain costume like appearance. Now add in a knife and to many who never bother to learn much about knives or history, the whole outfit begins to look a bit more like a costume, While I would disagree with anyone calling it such, perception is a factor.

Now I do own two dirks, both inexpensive replicas. I have not worn them in years. As a matter of fact a couple of years ago I was looking for them because I wanted to wear one and I had forgot where I put them after a non recent move. I also have a couple of knives that I would say are similar to dirks but have no connection to Scotland, that I have worn to events like Ren Fairs, I have worn them with and without kilts However the setting made them more acceptable choices.

Lastly I would say that regulation is a factor, although I agree that there is often too much of this, and what is there is poorly conceived., But knowing local laws is important. As is knowing Scottish laws, because while they do not apply in the USA, they set the tone of what Scots will be wearing. As dirks and other knives in general become less commonplace in Scotland they by default become less commonplace in Scottish attire.
    Last edited by AFS1970; 16th January 18 at 10:17 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to AFS1970 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a practical perspective, hardly anyone wears a kilt casually, so adding in a knife would look as odd as a gardener doing the supermarket shopping with their tool belt and gloves on.

I see no reason though for the wearing of the dirk not to be resurrected. It historically is as important if not more so than the kilt. It was a sign of a free person in ancient times but it also represented a man's honour which is why oaths were sworn on it. But wear it today in public and you'll more likely come across as either a threat that results in the police being called or a weirdo who should've left his tools in the car. It currently lacks the public understanding that would allow casual wearing, assuming you live somewhere where it's legal, without causing problems.
    The first step would be getting pipe bands and the like to equip all their members with such and for it to become as important an accessory at functions as the sgian dubh is, and even that little thing can cause problems.

It would have to be a traditionally formed dirk though, and the wearing of such in public should be accompanied by tradition and understanding of what the item represents, not just a whim that you want to look cool and are using an historic pretext for doing so. I would have no problem with someone wearing a dirk as part of their culture shopping next to me. I would have a problem with a couple of teens in the same shop carrying large daggers within easy reach.

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Damion For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    post withdrawn... I may have been wrong!
    Last edited by plaid preacher; 14th January 18 at 07:00 PM.

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a dirk on formal occasions when I wear medals. I sometimes wear a belt knife both when I'm kilted, and when in trousers. But a kirk is too large to wear comfortably just casually.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Geoff Withnell For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast