X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I'm not kilted I still...

So, I've been back to daily kilt wearing for a few months now. Sunday I wear pants, because at church I want people to focus on God and one another, not one me. I just ran to grab a frozen pizza (still in pants) and by force of habit swept the kilt (pants) as I seated myself in the car. It gave me a little chuckle, as did one of the grocery store employees giving me a weird look and saying, "you're in pants today?"

I was wondering if anyone else had kilted habits which they sometimes find themselves doing when wearing pants.

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jumpmonkey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say I've had that happen, had a kilt-habit transfer to when trousered. (Panted? Breeked?)

I only wear kilts when piping, but I have noticed that after a Games weekend, two 12-hour days kilted, that wearing pants on Monday feels... what? not quite right.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, I've had this happen to me -kilt sweep while panted!
    "The fun of a kilt is to walk, not to sit"

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Woodsman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpmonkey View Post
    So, I've been back to daily kilt wearing for a few months now. Sunday I wear pants, because at church I want people to focus on God and one another, not one me.
    I suspect that if you wore your kilt to church, you may get compliments from other attendees either going in or out of the service, but it will in no way distract them from the service itself, unless the service/sermon is either boring or of little interest to them anyway!

I'm talking about the UK here, but even here, aside from weddings and since leaving school, I've never encountered another kilt wearer in a church service in either Scotland or England and I still occasionally meet a retired Scottish minister who mentions seeing me in my kilt at his services, but in no way is it a criticism. I think it is appreciated that you make the effort to dress nicely (so many don't these days) though it may also be appreciated that you turn up however dressed.
    Last edited by tpa; 8th April 18 at 07:06 PM.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

8. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa View Post
    I suspect that if you wore your kilt to church, you may get compliments from other attendees either going in or out of the service, but it will in no way distract them from the service itself, unless the service/sermon is either boring or of little interest to them anyway!
    Being the one presenting the sermons, I draw more eyes than those seated. And my manner of dress more subject to the whims of the congregation at large, at least during our service times. Most I doubt would care, but there are some would ill take to it, and I feel my ministration is best in service to others rather than self. Though, if my position in the services was less conspicuous, I'd be inclined to agree.

10. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jumpmonkey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being the one presenting the sermons, I draw more eyes than those seated. And my manner of dress more subject to the whims of the congregation at large, at least during our service times. Most I doubt would care, but there are some would ill take to it, and I feel my ministration is best in service to others rather than self. Though, if my position in the services was less conspicuous, I'd be inclined to agree.
    I understand entirely, I didn't realise you were officiating. My minister friend found it very hard work trying to cater to a congregation which comprised two diametrically opposed halves, based on historical issues related to the parish.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the very rare occasion that I am not kilted.....yes I sweep my pants. It makes me laugh every time. And I will sweep pants every time

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to kiltedcontractor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa View Post
    I understand entirely, I didn't realise you were officiating. My minister friend found it very hard work trying to cater to a congregation which comprised two diametrically opposed halves, based on historical issues related to the parish.
    That's an extremely difficult situation to handle. I hope your friend made it through ok, that puts a lot of stress on a minister.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an extremely difficult situation to handle. I hope your friend made it through ok, that puts a lot of stress on a minister.
    Yes he's happily retired now, but previously moved on to another parish in a different part of the country.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have attended a number of local services at two churches, one Presbyterian, the other non-denominational, where the Pastors preached while kilted.

Both congregations had strong relationships with their Pastors and appeared the view the kiltwearing as "just something he does sometimes" and certainly not grandstanding or detracting from the preaching in any way- quite the contrary, as it seemed to me that the congregations were even more focused on the message than usual.

As a mere congregant/attendee I have never worn Highland Dress. Personally I think the "look at me!" aspect is diametrically opposed to what is supposed to be happening.

But if piping at the service I don my kilt, just as the choir dons its robes.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 10th April 18 at 07:28 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

19. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast