X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect the supply of underkilt wear, was like many things, seen as an unnessesary expense for the kilt supplier.

As for what to wear beneath it's your or my choice, or in my case my doctor's, since after an accident he recommends support. So briefs...
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I run or curl kilted, or participate in highland game events, I generally wear compression shorts under my kilt. You are welcome.

When I Bagpipe or just wear a kilt socially, I wear boxers, as (as others have mentioned), I don’t want to cause a need to dry clean my kilt when I can otherwise avoid it. I wouldn’t “go free” in a suit either.

Im not averse to “free-ballin’” either, mind you. I often do so when I’m wearing lacrosse shorts out or around, but the material is very soft and they are easily thrown in the wash.

Happily sharing more than you wanted to know,

Rob

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to WalesLax For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    I am often around children, ladies, and often kneeling or bending while in the shop.

I wear black briefs.
    I wear mine to work, and as often as I can. I wear my normal 'undergarments' as it tends to be more comfortable. Once you pass the age of 50, Gravity has taken it's toll and, well... it's safter too

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black dance briefs, or black snug workout shorts that are similar in style to bike shorts but the inseam not as long. (Same thing I tend to wear under skirts as well, actually.)

My goal is to be covered and not worry about not being covered (so, nothing too skimpy, and nothing loose-fitting), and nothing that looks like actual underwear (so, I want it to be obvious it is some form of shorts and not just my undies). (I realize that as a female, there are different societal attitudes that may differently affect how my undergarments would be seen vs. a male, like the fact that if the wind blew or I fell down and my undergarments were seen, it would not be brushed off lightly if they were, indeed, no more than what we call "underwear").

Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    shorts made of the same wool tartan material as the kilt
    Oh nooooooo. There are some places wool doesn't need to be... (which is usually part of my argument for wearing something in the first place.)
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Katia For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input Katia, I was wondering about the ladies. I really don't care, or even want to know what the guys are wearing, and
    prefer not to think about it.
    Last edited by tokareva; 8th May 18 at 03:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a bit of experimentation, I chose black boxer briefs. I did have to try a couple of different brands to get the fit I was after. The freedom of movement a kilt offers does seem to show up restrictions not noted in a bifurcated garment.
    I find the "underkilt" idea interesting. Might I propose a modifying a garment intended for a similar use. Perhaps a short slip or one shorted up then dyed black. Never having shopped for them , I've only seen white. I'd think one could purchase one in other colors.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Brian Rose For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what's under

As I wear mine at work all the time and bending and up ladders and lifting . The one rule the store has is I wear something under my kilt. So at work briefs. But I am often asked what I wear under my kilt and as always I say socks and shoes the same as you. But the funny part is the customers will ask the ladies I work with what I wear under the kilt.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to mckilty For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Rose View Post
    I find the "underkilt" idea interesting. Might I propose a modifying a garment intended for a similar use. Perhaps a short slip or one shorted up then dyed black. Never having shopped for them , I've only seen white. I'd think one could purchase one in other colors.
    I'm considering trying one sold by Comfilon. The idea of having the "freedom" while not having to worry about a dry cleaning bill is a good one.

http://www.glieberman.com/kilt-liners/

However, I'm not sure how visible this would be under my kilts. And I also like having support, so the kilt liner would probably just be for occasional use. I also typically wear Sport Kilts, which (except for one with leather straps), can just be thrown in the washer, anyway.

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to SunriseEarth For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elden View Post
    in cold weather and around kids briefes on hot day maybe not
    Cold vs. hot weather - turns out, in my limited kilt-wearing life (a few months), the opposite is proving more comfortable (excluding the part "around kids" with which I agree - better safe than sorry). The hotter it gets (already near 90 down here in sunny FLA) I find I appreciate boxers. Without going into too much detail, with the excess moisture caused by a hot, humid FLA afternoon, I find I appreciate the absorbency afforded by an undergarment thus sparing my kilt the indignity of it all.
    At a time like this one must ask themselves, 'WWJDD"
    What Would Jimmy Durante Do?

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobinn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tokareva View Post
    Thanks for the input Katia, I was wondering about the ladies. I really don't care, or even want to know what the guys are wearing, and
    prefer not to think about it.
    To be fair, I can't tell you what other women wear. I always wear something under skirts because I don't like to have to worry about how I move. Also, I'm trained from dance. Also, women here in Thailand usually wear some sort of shorts under their skirts. In the U.S., though, I think women usually wear just normal undies and assume they'll never get into a situation where anyone will see up their skirt, and I imagine it's the same with kilts, if said kilt is worn formally or perhaps in a band (again, dancers will have something underneath because it's specifically in the SOBHD dress code).

I did once ask on a dance website what male dancers wear (I'm not good enough friends with any to ask), because most dance briefs are styled similar to women's panties and I wasn't sure if men would find that too "girly" and choose to wear something else (or, it may not cover their undies if they wear boxers). I think a couple said they wear boxer briefs, a couple did indeed wear dance briefs, a couple wore bike shorts, and a couple wondered why I was thinking about what men and boys wear under their kilts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Rose View Post
    After a bit of experimentation, I chose black boxer briefs. I did have to try a couple of different brands to get the fit I was after. The freedom of movement a kilt offers does seem to show up restrictions not noted in a bifurcated garment.
    You can indeed get slips in black and also beige, in addition to white. Perhaps other colors as well. These often tend to be nylon, though, so wouldn't take dye easily if you wanted to dye them. (I'm also not that fond of the feel of slinky nylon, myself.)

It would be easy enough to make your own, using dyeable cotton or any other comfortable, non-clingy fabric of your choice (a fun print, a color that matches the dominant one in your kilt so if the underkilt is seen, it's not as obvious, whatever). Also, then you would avoid the possibility of it being edged in lace, if that is not what you want. Perhaps something in a straight style with enough slit in the sides for easy movement would do... that would be quick and easy for even a beginner sewist to whip up, probably without even a pattern (use an elastic and/or drawstring waist for simplicity; something fitted with a closure would be slightly more complicated).
    Last edited by Katia; 13th May 18 at 06:03 AM.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Katia For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast