X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday, I had to pickup a pair of clogs from the local Cobbler. I told him about the rivet problem. He suggested heading to the oldest shoe repair in town. Then, he took me in back to see hundreds of boxes of rivets. Most had 4-5 in each. It came from matching the various types of rivets over the years. Assumes most older shops had plenty of leftovers. I pulled up the photo on the iPippin, he took a look & said, “If someone brought it in, probably could match it. Take a couple of minutes to set it. Then, send the on their way...no charge.” With a request, they remember him for any major leather repair. They’ve done quick things for me. Usually, I need to get him a coffe at the Roaster’s, across the street.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on rivet repair . . .

Well, folks, it's not pretty, because it all had to come apart, but I know how they're made now.

I found all sorts of rivets online and that in and of itself is great, but I had to take the whole sporran apart to even get to the back of the rivets to get them out. The original set of rivets were on the inside of the inside of the inside and held in only by a lick & a promise. The slightest tug and all were out. The leather's just too thick for the shanks I had so it's back to Tandy for longer shanks (if they've got them)! Wish me luck. I may have to make shanks out of the upholstery tacks and secure them with a cotter pin arrangement of some sort.

The only positive part of all this is that I WILL make a pattern(s) of all the pieces. I will make a couple more to fill out the supply -- different colors should do the trick; brown, gray, etc.

It's been an interesting trip so far . . .
    Only 9 notes. How hard could it be?

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jon Lilley For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12