X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I decided to update my flap sporran pattern

The first sporran I ever made was a basic flap sporran and I was never fully satisfied with how it looked. I then moved over to making hunting sporrans that look better yet do not close in a way that is as covered as with a flap sporran. I am not a fan of tassels on sporrans that don't have fur so I went with a leather leaf design on the front in place of tassels. I like the look of the leather leaves on hunting sporrans, so I gave it a try on these flap sporrans.

The new sporrans:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1693.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	33757

Name:	DSCN1698a.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	33758

In my opinion, these new sporrans are far better then the first sporrans I made. The old sporran in the pictures below is the one that made me want to put a pocket on the back of a sporran. I was at a festival in Estas Park looking through the dealers tents and thought it would be great to have a simple pocket that can hold some of the cash so I don't have to open my sporran as much in a crowded area.

My first sporran design compared to the new flap sporran design:

Name:	DSCN1685a.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	33759

Name:	DSCN1687a.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	33760

Over all I am satisfied with the new sporrans. I will most likely put together some fur front sporrans with the sheep skins http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...p-skins-93399/ my wife got me for Christmas.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to LKM For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing you might enjoy for flap sporrans is making molded leather ones. You make a pretty simple wooden hump-form, stretch wet leather over it and let it dry to shape to form the top piece. It's fun and makes some really clean, simple and elegant sporrans with minimal work involved. There are good YouTube videos on molding leather, making the forms, etc. There are a couple molded ones in the middle row here.

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post: