X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any thoughts on the Caudill surname?

A great many people in Eastern Kentucky and North Carolina (particularly around Wilkes County) are descendants of the Caudill family. The new world progenitor (from whom I descend at least four different ways), arrived prior to 1718 in Southside Virginia. I have long been interested in this family's story. My initial thoughts, and what I initially saw online years ago, was that this surname was an elision of Caldwell, and would indicate Lowland descent. However, more recently I've seen references to Caudill being a sept of the Campbells of Cawdor, which of course is geographically rather different. Is anyone out there familiar enough with this surname/family to suggest which is likely more accurate? Thanks.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if it's a spelling variant of Cadill, a rare na,e that has Campbell associations if memory serves.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black records the Cadell name as a form of Calder. 'The Northern Cawdors were disguised as Cadells and de Cadella even in old Scots chroniclers, and they have kept that variety permanently in the South.' He notes the name variously spelled as Cadell, Caddell, Cawdale, Calder, Cattall, Caldaile, Cadall, and that the name was common in Edinburgh in the 16C. Caudill is likely another spelling. In the late 18C the head of the name acquired property near Cockenzie in East Lothian and built Cockenzie House. The property is no longer in the family.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! It really makes sense as a variant of Cadell/Cawdale in a way. The Eastern Kentucky pronunciation would be very like "Caudle" another variant sometimes listed, with the emphasis definitely on the first syllable and the second vowell clipped.

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Building Prof View Post
    Thanks! It really makes sense as a variant of Cadell/Cawdale in a way. The Eastern Kentucky pronunciation would be very like "Caudle" another variant sometimes listed, with the emphasis definitely on the first syllable and the second vowell clipped.
    My dad's family were from Eastern Kentucky (Magoffin Co.) and they said it that way as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnot View Post
    My dad's family were from Eastern Kentucky (Magoffin Co.) and they said it that way as well.
    It's also pronounced that way in SW Va. (Grayson & Carroll counties) where my parents are from. And "Caldwell" is pronounced the same way.
    Tulach Ard

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's how it is pronounced in Scotland, too.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnot View Post
    Well, we must be related somehow! My maternal grandmother was born in Salyersville, and besides Caudill she has lots of good Scots and Scots-Irish names in her lineage like Adams, Patrick, May, Clark, Cooper, and McDaneil (as well as the presumed Irish Conleys, and the presumed English Meades, Esteps, Penningtons, Praters and Litterals, and then whatever the Salyers themselves are).

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Building Prof View Post
    Well, we must be related somehow! My maternal grandmother was born in Salyersville, and besides Caudill she has lots of good Scots and Scots-Irish names in her lineage like Adams, Patrick, May, Clark, Cooper, and McDaneil (as well as the presumed Irish Conleys, and the presumed English Meades, Esteps, Penningtons, Praters and Litterals, and then whatever the Salyers themselves are).
    We probably are related somehow. All those names are familiar. The main names in my tree are Arnett/Arnott (my surname which, as it happens, is pronounced as in Scotland sort of ARNut. Emphasis on the first syllable), Howard, and Salyer. Others are Joseph, Mann, Carpenter, and Patton. My great-grandmother was a Salyer. From what I understand, The original immigrant Salyer was a French Huguenot and the spelling was Sallier. In my line anyway, the following generations married Welsh, Irish, and English women.