X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    A further thought: The news you discover might also be a problem, or even in extreme cases, a tragedy for some of those you love, because part of your DNA is part of theirs too.

Just... use caution and think first.
    Are you referring to genetic diseases? In that case it might be better to know.

Unless I misunderstood you.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronCat View Post
    A similar article by Peter J. Pitts ( a former Food and Drug

Just ask Harvard Medical School professor Latanya Sweeney. She recently identified the names of more than 40 percent of participants in a supposedly anonymous DNA study. Sweeney cross-referenced participants’ provided zip codes, birthdays, and genders with public records like voter rolls. She then was able to match people up to their DNA."
    Our police forces, are getting good at this to, there have been several cases of drivers getting DNA tested due to an accident or for some other minor offence . Then using DNA a relative has been traced that was guilty of some much more serious offence..

Having your DNA tested has another hazard, like looking in the mirror and realising you don't look like your"father" but the milkman (USA substitute some other regular delivery driver).

I remember some case came up in a criminal case involving DNA in the USA, where the victim found out her Father was also her Grandfather....
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    Are you referring to genetic diseases? In that case it might be better to know.

Unless I misunderstood you.
    That is in my mind, ond of the (few) advantages, although perhaps more rare than we might think. No, I was referring to the sort of thing that comes out as in the last post about the father/ grandfather and all of the family disruption such a discovery could cause.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...and by the way, it you come back to me with "blood is thicker than water" and an argument that you should stick always to blood relatives first, then being a priest, I even have scriptural evidence to suggest further thought on the matter.
    I've always found it a bit strange that people will claim kinship with someone they've never met and perhaps will never met, in a different part of the world, based on the fact that they seem to share a last name. I feel a closer affinity to people I work with (and, arguably, we all belong to a closer "club" than that based on a name). But then again, I've also never had a desire to trace genealogy and look up supposed relatives I never knew-- the ones I already have are fine for me. Perhaps it's some sort of lacking in curiosity on my part. I love finding out where ancestors have come from and lived and how, but that's something different.

That is in my mind, ond of the (few) advantages, although perhaps more rare than we might think. No, I was referring to the sort of thing that comes out as in the last post about the father/ grandfather and all of the family disruption such a discovery could cause.
    Although it certainly doesn't have to be shared. No one even needs to know you took the test. Certainly those who might take issue with the results don't need to be told ahead of time, and in the case of others, surely a simple "yep, we're mostly from Russia" would suffice.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    Our police forces, are getting good at this to, there have been several cases of drivers getting DNA tested due to an accident or for some other minor offence . Then using DNA a relative has been traced that was guilty of some much more serious offence..

Having your DNA tested has another hazard, like looking in the mirror and realising you don't look like your"father" but the milkman (USA substitute some other regular delivery driver).

I remember some case came up in a criminal case involving DNA in the USA, where the victim found out her Father was also her Grandfather....
    A Reuters new reports provided the following statement tonight:

"Investigators in California narrowed in on the Golden State Killer suspect by using the genetic profile of a relative on ancestry websites that solicit DNA samples from users, a Sacramento County prosecutor said on Thursday."

Just a heads up.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Friday For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmmm.....Big brother sees you. Hears you. AND, he's in your genes! Should this be moved to Your Worst Puns?

Seriously, much of technology is catching up to that which writers came up with for sci-fi / thrillers that have been produced. Many, back in the early/mid 60's.
    Last edited by Baeau; 26th April 18 at 10:00 PM.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday View Post
    A Reuters new reports provided the following statement tonight:

"Investigators in California narrowed in on the Golden State Killer suspect by using the genetic profile of a relative on ancestry websites that solicit DNA samples from users, a Sacramento County prosecutor said on Thursday."

Just a heads up.
    I was going to post that very thing. For obvious reasons, we should all be glad they caught this guy. But the method they used was just ...wow. They didn't even need his DNA to find him. They narrowed him down by the DNA of his family members. So I guess none of us really have privacy for our DNA unless our blood relatives are also being careful. Considering I have a twin brother who isn't careful like I am, that concerns me!

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Father Bill , you are absolutely correct . People should be very cautious about doing the DNA testing .

First off , there is the emotional caution ..... not liking your roots or finding out unseemly family information .

Secondly ( and very important ) , there is the legal caution .

It is a positive thing that law enforcement can use DNA to solve cases and convict or used to protect an innocent person .

However , in today's world with all the DNA testing companies their data can be subpoenaed in mass by law enforcement in the effort to solve a criminal case .

There have been several news stories in the past few years whereby an innocent person has become part of a criminal case and considered a " person of interest " or sometimes " a possible suspect " simply because their DNA data from these mass subpoenaed records have a somewhat close tie to a crime for very various reasons ..... when in reality and after the case was solved , they had no tie to anything involving the case.

DNA testing is subject to errors by the DNA testing company and by the law enforcement labs which can lead to unintended consequences down the road .... contaminated samples , margins of error in testing , etc.

So the BIG cautionary thing to consider from a legal standpoint is .... do you want to put your DNA into a database that can be accessed and used for all kinds of reasons ?

I must admit , I was once curious and wanted to do the DNA testing thing , although , after reading and hearing these news stories , I chose not to participate .

I know my family's roots as I am only a second generation American and my family were Scottish immigrants but I can appreciate those who want to do DNA testing .

I am not a conspiratorial type person , even though my rant might suggest it . I just agree with Father Bill's word of caution .

Cheers , Mike
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacGumerait For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I was going to post that very thing. For obvious reasons, we should all be glad they caught this guy. But the method they used was just ...wow. They didn't even need his DNA to find him. They narrowed him down by the DNA of his family members. So I guess none of us really have privacy for our DNA unless our blood relatives are also being careful. Considering I have a twin brother who isn't careful like I am, that concerns me!
    Yes, that's up there with knowing that even though I try to be careful about my privacy on Facebook, every time my "friends" play Farmville or whatever, they expose me because it requires access to information about a person's friends as well. If someone wants to give up their own privacy, that's their right. When they can give up mine without my knowledge or consent, that's frightening.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will add my thoughts also, I am a adoptee and things were not the best and I always had a hole in my life about my heritage. Finally in 2011 I started testing and so far by using my original birth certificate, ancestry and Family tree I have found and proven my family on both mother and father using DNA.

Some folks might be shocked at the results but so far everyone has taken them in stride. My mother family never knew she had any children but so far there are four of us. I have even found a granddaughter I never knew about.

I am currently the Clans DNA Project admin and the one thing I tell all folks about taking DNA testing is that thing may not be what you think they are and if that bothers you don’t do it. I tell them about my family, and my wife’s family where she is only ½ sibling to 3 sisters and a brother.

A use with caution label would be a good thing on all orders for DNA testing.
    Steve
    Clan Lamont USA
    SR VP & Central US VP

15. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to super8mm For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast