X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just found the remains of a paper label! It looks like it might be circa WWI after all! Wrong end though, so no date. Anyone an expert on paper labels?
    Last edited by Jags; 2nd May 18 at 12:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jags View Post
    Hello all,

I’ve acquired a vintage Royal Scots hunting Stewart tartan military kilt and I was wondering if it was either a) very old, circa WWI or b) an Officer’s kilt. It has been professionally altered but a very long time ago. The alteration has decreased the waist and added 3 strap fastenings. It has no label or WD stamp but all the signs of being a genuine military kilt with its high waist and heavy wool.

The wool though is very flat and soft to the touch, like felt, and not at all like the other military kilts I have from the 1950s-70s. These are like course blankets in comparison.

I’ve tried to upload photos today, perhaps the site is having issues? I’ll persevere but in the meantime, does anyone have any tips for identifying a WWI vs WWII kilt or an Other Ranks vs Officer’s kilt (other than obvious rosettes etc).

Look forward to hearing from some experts among you!

Cheers,
    Jags
    You say it's a Royal Scots Hunting Stuart Kilt - the 1st was a lowland regiment & therefore all in trews except for the 1st ww 9th battalion which was kilted? Not sure by what you're meaning by an "officers kilt" in a regiment which was in trews?

Can't recollect what tartan the pipers (who were kilted) wore off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Allan Thomson; 21st August 18 at 03:16 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Thomson View Post
    You say it's a Royal Scots Hunting Stuart Kilt - the 1st was a lowland regiment & therefore all in trews except for the 1st ww 9th battalion which was kilted? Not sure by what you're meaning by an "officers kilt" in a regiment which was in trews?

Can't recollect what tartan the pipers wore off the top of my head.
    Royal Stewart

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	royalscotsband2005.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	34891
    Drum-Major Mark Morrison and Pipe-Major Ally Cuthbertson in 2005.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	165_VictorThomson.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	34892

Name:	Victory Thomson 2nd Battalion 1st of Foot Royal Scots.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	34893
    Thankyou, thought so but was struggling to google an accurate picture of the band in the days when it was the 500 or so year old 1st Of Foot & not just the amalgamated 1st battalion. There's also an interesting picture of a commemorative pipe band formed by the members & they appear to be in Hunting Stuart. The problem is when you google Royal Scots Pipers you tend to get more results for the Royal Scots Dragoons than the 1st!

My grandfather served in the regiment for many years during the 30's & 40's. He was involved in the first bayonet charge by European Troops against the Japanese in the pacific campaign at Golden Hill lead by Pinkerton who won his MC. I still feel it was a disgrace that the Battle Honour for Hong Kong was never awarded to them because of the disgusting way Maltby blackened their name due to the loss of the Shing Mun Redoubt ignoring the hard fighting done by D. Coy on the 11th (taking a position by the bayonet at odds of 2:1 against them and holding it under heavy mortar fire as the Japanese resorted to shelling them to bits rather than try to take them on in a bayonet charge that day. My Grandfather was one of the last men on the hill with Jimmy Ford, though he's not the man Lt Ford mentions coming off the hill with him as my Grandfather was knocked out and thought to be dead at that point (later recovered and got off the hill to rejoin the Battalion). The whole Battalion later put up some hard fighting on the Island too.

More recently he was invited to the presentation of the last set of colours to the regiment a few years before the 500 year old regiment was amalgamated. Fortunately he did not live to see that happen, but I think it would have saddened him, though I like to think myself that the tradition lives on in 1Scots. Much as I personally also like the kilt I also find it saddening the way Lowland Regiments have been robbed of their unique identity & 'Highlandised' into government tartan kilted homogenous regiment.

The top image is him dressed as the Modern British Infantry Man in Fighting Order, which he represented in the Edinburgh Military Tattoo of 1935 (as well as being an extra for "The Battle of Waterloo" there. He saw service in civil disorder in India prior to transferring to Hong Kong and would have been one of the more experienced men of the regiment present there.
    Last edited by Allan Thomson; 22nd August 18 at 10:03 AM. Reason: MC not VC Sorry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123