X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plaid or no plaid that is the question

Hi all, been a while since i have been on here, but its good to be back. I have managed to put together a nice outfit of a tartan called eternity matched with an Argyll jacket and 5 button waistcoat. I have a formal dinner to attend shortly and fancy getting the matching eternity plaid and a celtic plaid brooch. The question is, is a plaid too much and should it be worn with an Argyll jacket? I know there is a thought process that says you can wear whatever, however i would like to conform to certain norms especially as my beloved wife hails from West Scotland! appreciate any thoughts. Steve

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I don't wear a fly plaid at all. I tried once and it looked like a costume to my eye.

And it had a bad habit of sweeping everything off every table I walked by in a crowded room.

An Argyle jacket makes a nice formal outfit when paired with a tux shirt and black bow tie, but like with most formal outfits I find that simple is more elegant.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Venue considerations are always a question with a fly plaid. Is there room for the flowing cloth (out of doors or more open area as examples) or will you appear out of place among the crowd? If you were receiving or delivering an award before a group that appreciates you or your accomplishments, then a plaid would give you an air of distinction and point you out as unique to the circumstance.

I echo Steve on his answer.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no Plaid

Quote Originally Posted by saditch View Post
    Hi all, been a while since i have been on here, but its good to be back. I have managed to put together a nice outfit of a tartan called eternity matched with an Argyll jacket and 5 button waistcoat. I have a formal dinner to attend shortly and fancy getting the matching eternity plaid and a celtic plaid brooch. The question is, is a plaid too much and should it be worn with an Argyll jacket? I know there is a thought process that says you can wear whatever, however i would like to conform to certain norms especially as my beloved wife hails from West Scotland! appreciate any thoughts. Steve
    Of Course do what you think is right...... but I would say NO PLAID if in doors....... If your "gear" is piper or military in fashion than it probably wouldn't look out of place..... outside you have space to maneuver around people and tables and if it rains or snows then you can use it for what it was really meant to be used for

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking as a Western Highland Scot, can I respectfully suggest that you keep your money in your wallet! The civilian fly plaid is THE most useless, bothersome and totally unnecessary piece of kilt attire there is.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 3rd May 18 at 01:29 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

xmarksthespot & wife 4 - me nil !

Ok i shall bow to the superior knowledge of my beloved wife AND all your collective thoughts, the concencus appears to be cumbersome, troublesome, unnecessary and in most circumstances OTT. thank you all for your insight

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3604.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	33909

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to saditch For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Speaking as a Western Highland Scot, can I respectfully suggest that you keep your money in your wallet! The civilian fly plaid is THE most useless, bothersome and totally unnecessary piece of kilt attire there is.
    Well said that man. A completely unnecessary bit of 'dressing up' kit.

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah nae! You can give it to your wife for a shawl.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Ah nae! You can give it to your wife for a shawl.
    Well thats one solution Bill. Thing is though, that one needs to actually have a plaid to give. Mine went West, well before I had a wife!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 3rd May 18 at 06:01 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well thats one solution Bill. Thing is though, that one needs to actually have a plaid to give. Mine went West, well before I had a wife!
    Well, being as yet fairly un-schooled, I bought them in my early days and do have them and Liesel wears them.

Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

16. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post: