X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    He insisted that white hose and Gillies are what Scots wear for formal occasions - weddings, funerals, Sunday services, etc. When I commented that neither Rothesay nor the Clan Chiefs have been photographed with white but rather diced or Argyle, and rarely Gillies, he said "We don't care what Rothesay or the chiefs wear; we all wear white. What's going on?"
    Not much, FB. I think the man was finding justification for his costume selection. I suspect, too, that he made his statement because you asked about his white hose.

Having said that, there are many Scots -- even Highlanders -- who wear white hose when they are kilted for those special occasions you noted. There are even some who wear white socks when they are not kilted. There was a time when white hose with the kilt and white socks with trousers was de rigueur in the Lowlands, and perhaps that was the reason for the recent slop-over into the Highlands. Today it is simply a matter of choice whether we want to adhere to tradition, with the kilt-hire mandate, or move on in today's tentative fashion world.

Edit: I must admit that I *shudder* to think of gillie brogues without hose, if we are headed in that direction.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 7th May 18 at 10:06 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many traditional kilt wearers would not have worn diced hosed to that level of black tie event either!

There is also quite a large element in Scotland who do not care one jot what the " Scottish Establishment" do or say. I also think there is a large chunk of defensive bravado in the chap's reply too, based on the "facts" that he quoted. Another clue to the fellows inexperience is the fact that he was prepared to talk kilt attire in fairly specific terms and in public place and to a relative stranger. It something that old hands just don't do, they observe, note, question silently, approve or even disapprove, but not one word about kilt attire is ever spoken.Its just not done. Apart from on a website such as this.

There are plenty of Highlanders who have no ken on how to wear the kilt and come from families that have no kilt wearing tradition to guide them. Make no mistake, there are plenty of those around and about in the Highlands. I wouldn't mind betting my best fishing rod, that there is a kilt hire inputput in some form going on. That may be advice given indirectly by internet picture form, or the fellow just walked into a hire shop.When you think about it, kilt hire is probably the most cost effective option in the circumstances. Purchasing a complete set of traditional kilt attire in one go is not a cheap option, when all said and done.

Which reminds me, about that thread of mine that I posted a wee while ago, about hire company kilt attire and the poor advice that kilt hire companies offer to the unknowing. Bill's experience probably illustrates my point well! I wonder if any thought has been given to a kilt hire awareness section on this website yet?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 8th May 18 at 04:10 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Perhaps he is talking about this look. This is a Scottish wedding, in Scotland, attended by Scots.

I don’t usually see so many pirate shirts in kilted wedding photos. Lots of “chieftain vests” too.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    I don’t usually see so many pirate shirts in kilted wedding photos. Lots of “chieftain vests” too.
    I do not wish to be unkind to anyone in that picture ( a lowlands wedding I suspect), but nearly everyone in that picture shows to a greater or lesser extent a " hire( rented) company " influence with their attire. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that if that is their choice and as long as they are provided with the full knowledge of the facts, but as an example of traditional kilt attire worn to a wedding then , I am sorry , it fails miserably.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 8th May 18 at 02:57 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does look unfortunate when everyoneshows up in the same color socks.

I've worn white socks before with formal wear (in my early kilt days). But I happily wear other colors/patterns, too. But I don't see white as wrong so much as unimaginative and dull.

And I have nothing against the "pirate" shirt or "chieftan" vest, and do wear them on occasion myself. But I would not wear them to a wedding. To me they are casual wear, and i dress up for weddings. And I do wonder why I don't see any daywear jackets in this photo, since it seems to have been taken during the day. I would have thought there would be at least a few Argylls, whether black or tweed, as well as a few of the less fancy models.

Andrew

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    And I do wonder why I don't see any daywear jackets in this photo, since it seems to have been taken during the day. I would have thought there would be at least a few Argylls, whether black or tweed, as well as a few of the less fancy models.
    That was one of the first things that jumped out at me in this photo. This is obviously a daytime wedding, but most of the men are dressed in evening attire. Then I started looking at their sporrans, which all look eerily similar in style. Then the shoes. They're all wearing ghillie brogues except for that one fellow with his combat boots and scrunched socks. The more I look at this photo, the more I tend to agree that the "kilt hire effect" is at play.

12. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've worn white (cream) with my kilt, if not wearing the argyle hose... but... only because I feel I can get away with it since as a dress tartan, white does figure prominently in the sett (well, and also because my white personally-owned kilt hose are the cotton ones, and I've only found those in white and black, and I do love cotton hose). Otherwise I wouldn't bother. (I much prefer to wear gray, though.)
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Katia For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    That was one of the first things that jumped out at me in this photo. This is obviously a daytime wedding, but most of the men are dressed in evening attire. Then I started looking at their sporrans, which all look eerily similar in style. Then the shoes. They're all wearing ghillie brogues except for that one fellow with his combat boots and scrunched socks. The more I look at this photo, the more I tend to agree that the "kilt hire effect" is at play.
    White hose, ghillie brogues, Prince Charlies during the day, semi formal sporrans.

All this combined screams hire shop to me. And I would bet it’s a hire shop that rents out pirate shirts as well.

And if most Scots only rent kilts when they need or want them, it shouldnt surprise anyone that they would think white hose are traditional or correct. That’s all they would ever see.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed on the hire-shop interference. Trouble is, this guy owns his own and everything else looked good escept for the knee down.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this all points to the fact that there isn't one single tradition in the Highlands, despite what people may wish to believe. There may be regional differences, but there are also personal differences between families, or groups, or social circles. Some are influenced by the traditions of their forebears which are handed down directly. Others are influenced by what others wear, such as their clan chiefs or other notable people. And yet others are influenced by hire shops, adverts, or more recent traditions from the 1980s onward. When someone says, "that's the way WE do it", he cannot possibly speak for everyone in the Highlands or even his own region.

In other words, we should never put too much stock into one person's declaration of what's "correct".

19. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast