X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Different take on White Kilt Hose

I recently ran into a Scot on a cruise. We were both kilted for a black tie evening - I with diced hose. He insisted that white hose and Gillies are what Scots wear for formal occasions - weddings, funerals, Sunday services, etc. When I commented that neither Rothesay nor the Clan Chiefs have been photographed with white but rather diced or Argyle, and rarely Gillies, he said "We don't care what Rothesay or the chiefs wear; we all wear white."

Not what I read here. Jock? Neloon? Alex? Others over there?

What's going on?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did he disclose which part of Scotland he was from?
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a Highlander.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photo galleries for the Perth Ball and Royal Caledonian Ball may suggest otherwise. I'd expect if Jock is about he may be able to comment.
    Being male is a matter of birth,
    Being a man is a matter of maturity,
    Being a gentleman is a matter of choice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can say is that this chap that you met was talking nonsense. I get the feeling that he probably is not a regular kilt wearer and must be totally blind to kilt wearers in Scotland and what they wear

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jimmy For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps he is talking about this look. This is a Scottish wedding, in Scotland, attended by Scots.

Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really unusual to see a group of kiltwearers at a wedding all wearing white hose , any recent weddings I have attended or noticed, black hose seems to be the most popular colour

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Really unusual to see a group of kiltwearers at a wedding all wearing white hose , any recent weddings I have attended or noticed, black hose seems to be the most popular colour
    Maybe Black is the new white....personally I think Black hose is too drab to wear at a CELEBRATION and so is white hose. Unless you are in some kind of uniform with others and must wear what the others in that group are wearing.......At a black tie or white tie event maybe the rules are quite clear in that regard. Black hose will go with the dark jacket and white hose will go with the white shirt and no one person will stand out from any other.......BUT Somewhere I read that the clan chiefs and aristocracy of old were "peacocks" and loved flashy colours to high light there attire .......just remember as has been stated here many times THERE ARE NO RULES....... but there are customs and social fashions that usually give some semblance of order to what is worn at the special events...........Except DON"T OUTSHINE THE BRIDE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hey, isn't that our member with the hostel/B&B in the borders? Dang, his name is just on the tip of my bowl (Robertson something?)! I was just wondering on him this past week. He used to post fab kilt night and Burns supper piccies, but haven't seen him around in awhile, not that I've been on here that much lately...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Perhaps he is talking about this look. This is a Scottish wedding, in Scotland, attended by Scots.

Here's tae us, Whas like us... Deil the Yin!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have said this before and will say it again. When in formal clothes I think white hose are the only appropriate hose to wear.
    proud U.S. Navy vet

Creag ab Sgairbh

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast