X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How did I do on this ebay acquisition

Hi all,

I recently purchased a used (I don't like using the term vintage) Macdonald Dress kilt and matching hose on ebay. The seller listed it as 13oz wool with a few small holes that have been repaired. The tag says it was made in 1960 at "R.S. Macdonald and Co. Tailors, Inverness". The seller told me in a message that the items were a wedding outfit purchased by a Swiss couple who flew to Scotland to get married. I'm not sure if D.H. Bayley is the specific tailor or the original owner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180507_173936 small.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	33926Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180507_174036 small.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	33925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180507_185915 small.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	33930

Here are some of the holes that were mentioned. It seems like they were just sewn shut with the best color thread they could find. The blue thread doesn't match very well

Name:	20180507_173941 small.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	33927Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180507_173947 small.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	33928Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180507_174022 small.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	33929

I searched online for information on the tailor and I found this old photo with some info.

Name:	R S MacDonald.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	458.0 KB 
ID:	33931

I'm not sure if there are any forum rules about saying how much you paid for things, but I'll mention that the kilt was listed at $200 and the hose were listed separately from the same seller at $75. Eventually through use of the "Make an offer" button and some personal messages I was able to get both together for $177. The holes are mostly not noticeable, but I am considering attempting a better repair job. I am also planning on trying a local dry cleaners that says they have experience with kilts, since it is used and there are a few small discolorations on the white. I've read up on recommendations of dry cleaning on some of the threads and there seem to be a few individuals that say modern dry cleaning no longer poses a risk to the leather straps. I may recommend that they do not press it.

So...how did I do? I know some do not favor the "dress" tartans, but I thought it was a rare chance that I saw a kilt in my size with some of its history attached.

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Macseobang For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's certainly a good price for a quality kilt and hose. And these items are not just well made, but have some interesting history attached to them as well. So I'd say you did fine.

Wear them with pride.

Andrew

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you did fine to me as well. I would say D.H. Bayley was the original owner as the shop has their information printed on the label.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    Looks like you did fine to me as well. I would say D.H. Bayley was the original owner as the shop has their information printed on the label.
    In one of the more unique things I've been involved with, is historical research on purpose built racing cars. Every chassis came from the constructor with an ID tag / plate fitted to it, & the chassis number stamped into the plate. When I've started a project, first step is to contact the constructor (if they are in business). If possible, place the chassis number against the build records they have on file. A great place to start, unless one is dealing with a counterfeit chassis, or the constructor 'accidentally' tossed the records in the tip. If R. S. MacDonald & Co Ltd, are still in business, it would be worth contacting them. With your purchase, the history is part of enjoying ownership.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See if there is anyone in your area that does French reweaving for repairing the holes.

"French weaving, also known as invisible weaving, is the type of reweaving used to restore small holes, tears and burns in fabric. Threads are taken from a hidden area of the garment and carefully woven horizontally and vertically over the damaged area, restoring the damaged fabric."
    "My beloved America, thank you for your children. If your children want to become soldiers I will train them. When they are hungry I will feed them. When they are thirsty I will give them water. When they fight for freedom I will lead them. When they are unsteady on the battlefield I will motivate them. If they die on the battlefield I will bury them. So help me God."

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CelticSire For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work. Always good to see another Macdonald flying the colors. ;)
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baeau View Post
    If R. S. MacDonald & Co Ltd, are still in business, it would be worth contacting them. With your purchase, the history is part of enjoying ownership.
    If you look closely at the picture of the R.S. MacDonald & C tailor shop I found online, it says that the shop and area were demolished to make way for a new development that opened in 1983. If they were still in business I probably would have found something about it online, but the only hit was that historical picture.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macseobang View Post
    If you look closely at the picture of the R.S. MacDonald & C tailor shop I found online, it says that the shop and area were demolished to make way for a new development that opened in 1983. If they were still in business I probably would have found something about it online, but the only hit was that historical picture.
    It appears, from Companies House information, that R.S. MacDonald ceased trading in 2003, when the last accounts were presented and the company his now listed as dissolved and non-trading. It used to manufacture and wholesale kilts.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!