X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sorry Collin I should have clarified the ABF thing, but it seems that you have worked that out. Yes, the yellow hose that you show are just perfect. The windsor knot thing is just something that many----not all-----in the UK consider beyond the pale. There are perhaps real historical reasons going back to the 1930's that are probably not understood outwith the UK and the younger generation within the UK. Nevertheless many consider the regimental/club/ college/style tie with their assorted coloured stripes look awful when tied in a windsor knot, partly because the knot is rather bulky and the stripes in the knot part do not flow well to the eye. Lastly, I am not sure what you mean by a "round collar", what I do know is that with pointed collars then collar stays/stiffeners are very helpful to keeping the collar and tie looking their best.

I just noticed on re-reading through your posts, you ask about wearing a white shirt for day wear. Well, there is nothing to stop you and certainly you would not be doing anything wrong, but many kilt wearers here would probably not choose to wear a white shirt with informal day wear.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 16th May 18 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Added an afterthought
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock,

Here is a photo of the exact shirt I plan to wear with the jacket.

Nothing radical, but I just like the look, and I believe it to be proper and as previously stated I like white linen shirts. I do not care for the tattersail look, or colored shirts, I have several tattersail and colored shirt, but as far as the tatterail, I never wear ties with them, I consider them more like a very casual shirt rather than one I would accessorize with a tie. I ordered the ABF tie, and it was a pleasure know some of the cost is going toward soldiers. I am going with that tie. Interesting about the Windsor knot, I will have to research this more. So would you suggest the Pratt or the Four-in-Hand knots? From what I remember both of these are not as big and will look better with diagonal stripes on the tie.

Just received a new kilt yesterday, got the "MacDonald of the Isle" modern tartan. MacIsaac Kiltmaker was the taylor, and was made in Nova Scotia, very close to where my family lived. Matter fact the person who made the kilt knew my cousin, and some of my Grandmother Chisholm's family, They all went to the same church that my cousin was a priest. He passed away in a bad auto accident in 1979, on Cape Bretton. The kiltmaker's Mother knew my cousin, Father John A. Chisholm quite well. I thought this was either divine guidance or a coincident. He did a great job the kilt is beautiful.

When I visit Nova Scotia this summer plan to visit the kiltmaker, and my cousin is buried only a short walk from his shop at St. Peter's Church. Thanks for you help, although the hose is interesting, my conservative (boring) nature will stay with ancient green hose. Is it bad taste to wear flashes the same tartan as the kilt. I have a set of MacDonald of the Isles flashes that came with the kilt and I really do like them...thoughts? Thanks.
    s
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kindred Spirits

Clearly a Newbie (to the site), but is is wonderful to find so many kindred spirits in so many ways...having read this thread (which caught my eye because of the outstanding Ysgrepan (sporran)). As a military man, from a military family, I was 'drug up proper like'. My father (rest his his soul) would reprimand me if I walked on the inside of the pavement/sidewalk when accompanying a lady; taught me the rights/wrongs of dress (and as I saw in another post...did I mention I love this site) you can never be overdressed, so many comments here apply (and no disrespect by missing anyone)...quality over cost (I had my father's Harris tweed jacket tailored to fit - it was 25 years old when I got it 10 years ago, and it still draws comment (quick story: I visited THE shop wearing the jacket and the salesman recognised it as one of theirs and moreover, that they hadn't produced that particular tweed for 15 years!!! Good eye - and he gave me a healthy discount on anew one as a result)); no belt with a waistcoat; no button down collar; the ABF tie (Gentlemen, I am grateful for your support); white shirt goes with everything (double cuffed of course!). Anyway, my apologies for my ramblings, but it is uplifting to find such a 'home' Anyway, the reason for the post - may I ask, where do you find that sporran? It is fantastic and I am slightly jealous!

In fact, A Hay if you are reading this, I know you are in the USA but I loved your Ysgrepan for the Dewi Sant tartan.....do you take commissions.

It's been a long day....I apologise again. Did I mention what a great place this is.....?
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    Jock,

Nothing radical, but I just like the look, and I believe it to be proper and as previously stated I like white linen shirts. I do not care for the tattersail look, or colored shirts, I have several tattersail and colored shirt, but as far as the tatterail, I never wear ties with them, I consider them more like a very casual shirt rather than one I would accessorize with a tie. I ordered the ABF tie, and it was a pleasure know some of the cost is going toward soldiers. I am going with that tie. Interesting about the Windsor knot, I will have to research this more. So would you suggest the Pratt or the Four-in-Hand knots? From what I remember both of these are not as big and will look better with diagonal stripes on the tie.

Just received a new kilt yesterday, got the "MacDonald of the Isle" modern tartan. MacIsaac Kiltmaker was the taylor, and was made in Nova Scotia, very close to where my family lived. Matter fact the person who made the kilt knew my cousin, and some of my Grandmother Chisholm's family, They all went to the same church that my cousin was a priest. He passed away in a bad auto accident in 1979, on Cape Bretton. The kiltmaker's Mother knew my cousin, Father John A. Chisholm quite well. I thought this was either divine guidance or a coincident. He did a great job the kilt is beautiful.

When I visit Nova Scotia this summer plan to visit the kiltmaker, and my cousin is buried only a short walk from his shop at St. Peter's Church. Thanks for you help, although the hose is interesting, my conservative (boring) nature will stay with ancient green hose. Is it bad taste to wear flashes the same tartan as the kilt. I have a set of MacDonald of the Isles flashes that came with the kilt and I really do like them...thoughts? Thanks.
    s
    Alright lets answer this,paragraph by paragraph.

I am afraid that I cannot see a picture of your shirt.

I suspect that your tattersall shirts are not of the quality of shirt that we over here are used to? Tattersall/country pattern shirts are almost standard issue for many kilt wearers here and wearing a tie with them is quite usual. I think there is a generational aspect at work here too and the younger generation would probably not wear a tie and probably wear a rugby shirt! Thank you for supporting the ABF. The four in hand knot is probably the most common tie knot here.

I say this with some trepidation, but with the greatest of respect. A bit like quietly informing some one that their flies are undone! Whilst your family history is obviously of great interest to you, but many of us in Scotland whilst often-----but not always------are well aware of our respective families assorted histories we very rarely discuss them within the family and is even more rarely(never) discussed publicly. Why? Goodness only knows, but its really best not done in public in Scotland as it has the same effect as a shark swimming into a shoal herring! You could find yourself the only person in the bar and even the barman will be missing! Perhaps we just hear these stories too often from visitors? Sorry, but I feel that you ought to know.

There is nothing wrong with wearing tartan flashes that match the tartan of the kilt. Its a fairly new thing and most experienced old stagers in the kilt wearing world don't wear them. Remember that their one kilt could be twenty, thirty, forty years old, so why have modern tartan flashes?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 16th May 18 at 10:21 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    Jock,

Nothing radical, but I just like the look, and I believe it to be proper and as previously stated I like white linen shirts. I do not care for the tattersail look, or colored shirts, I have several tattersail and colored shirt, but as far as the tatterail, I never wear ties with them, I consider them more like a very casual shirt rather than one I would accessorize with a tie?
    There's no definitive rule about not wearing white shirts, I wore one with grey argyl to a nephews wedding. I have been converted to tattershall and other coloured shirts that are of a subdued shade, for me this is because I find a crisp new white shirt can tend to jump out and appear somewhat harsh against the more muted and natural colours of highland wear.

The white shirt I wore was textured and therefore more subdued, most linen shirts, no matter what the colour, tend to be more subdued than pure cotton. I think you will probably be fine, even if it isn't there's no reason not to wear it, the world would be a boring place if we all had the same tastes ( although I admire your dedication to wearing it "properly").
    Last edited by Nomad; 16th May 18 at 10:44 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock and company,

Thank you for your advice. I will post once I wear my new clothing. Cheers.
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyway, the reason for the post - may I ask, where do you find that sporran?

You can google Wyvern Leatherworks....Donnie will take good care of you.

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The windsor knot thing is just something that many----not all-----in the UK consider beyond the pale. There are perhaps real historical reasons going back to the 1930's that are probably not understood outwith the UK and the younger generation within the UK.

That's an interesting perspective. I think, as a representative of a different generation, whilst I am aware of the historic connotations of the full Windsor knot, they are well over the heads of the majority of people in the UK and so i wouldn't bother considering it at all when dressing. The only reason I would stay away from it is because it tends to be quite difficult to pull of in any context, and I concur especially with regimental stripes

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being almost as informal as is possible, I have never been a fan of white shirts. I can destroy them faster than I can pay for them.
    Also, working in theater and seeing them on stage gives a different feel to them which I haven't overcome. BUT, this thread is for
    you, not me. I think you've done well in the choices we've seen, and I have confidence that you have the confidence and bearing
    to pull off your own choices. Go well and enjoy being well dressed. Enjoy the the compliments I know you'll be receiving. I know
    I'd belly up to the bar next to you any time. Though, seeing how I dress you might well choose a different establishment.

We'll want photos.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    Being almost as informal as is possible, I have never been a fan of white shirts. I can destroy them faster than I can pay for them.
    Also, working in theater and seeing them on stage gives a different feel to them which I haven't overcome. BUT, this thread is for
    you, not me. I think you've done well in the choices we've seen, and I have confidence that you have the confidence and bearing
    to pull off your own choices. Go well and enjoy being well dressed. Enjoy the the compliments I know you'll be receiving. I know
    I'd belly up to the bar next to you any time. Though, seeing how I dress you might well choose a different establishment.

We'll want photos.
    Thank you and I will buy the first round. White shirts to me are just a normal dress, as I went through 12 years of parochial school, requiring white shirts, blue pants and blue ties, and in High School we were allowed to wear any solid color shirt, white, blue, yellow, light pink, or even tan, but had wear a jacket. So, to me this is normal. I am sure I will eventually get a Tattersall, or some other color, maybe light blue, but for now I will stay with my white shirt and branch out later. Sure will post photos once I wear the entire set the first time... For now Cheers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast