X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bear mask sporran

So I need a bit of advice. I recently got a black bear head from a full grown adult bear. I will be making a sporran out of it and need a bit of advice. The problem is the sheer size of the head. The nose will come to the selvedge of my kilt, it's that big, and that's if the ears are at the bend of the flap. I haven't found any pictures of anything similar, and I'm not entirely sure where to start. Has anyone seen anything like that? I could use a visual reference to help me get started.
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not an artisan or sporran maker, but my guess is that there's a reason you haven't seen anything like that, and you just discovered the reason. Too big for this purpose.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hair sporrans are tricky, some are cultural, but something like a full face black bear, your going to get asked if you actually shot the bear, and then get the stink eye if you say you did not from more than a handful of people.

No one asks that for horsehair or goat sporrans.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    Hair sporrans are tricky, some are cultural, but something like a full face black bear, your going to get asked if you actually shot the bear, and then get the stink eye if you say you did not from more than a handful of people.

Next ask me if I care...
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nighthawk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I'm not an artisan or sporran maker, but my guess is that there's a reason you haven't seen anything like that, and you just discovered the reason. Too big for this purpose.
    I'm about the size of a small bear. It would look ridiculous on most people but the consensus among my friends is that it will look good on me.

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and another

Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post

........ and another stink-eye from another handful of people if you say ya' did

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it seems that it has been done although I imagine this was a much smaller bear.

Image found here: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/2476...86458/?lp=true

Edit: That said, it is a HUGE sporran.

From: https://kiltguide.com/directory/morr...b396d8dcf.html
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 14th May 18 at 07:36 PM.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Scott View Post
    Well, it seems that it has been done although I imagine this was a much smaller bear.

Image found here: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/2476...86458/?lp=true
    Yeah. That's the only one I found. It is indeed much smaller... Maybe I should take a picture tomorrow when I get to my shop so y'all can see the massive glory...

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nighthawk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    Yeah. That's the only one I found. It is indeed much smaller... Maybe I should take a picture tomorrow when I get to my shop so y'all can see the massive glory...
    Hold the head in front of your kilt when the picture is taken so we can get a sense of proportion.

The reason you've not seen one before is of course, partly size, but mostly if I'm correct, that the animal is not native to the Highlands. I may yet be corrected on that.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Hold the head in front of your kilt when the picture is taken so we can get a sense of proportion.

The reason you've not seen one before is of course, partly size, but mostly if I'm correct, that the animal is not native to the Highlands. I may yet be corrected on that.
    That's correct. They aren't. I want to do this because the bear was taken in Colorado, and will go perfectly with my Colorado state tartan kilt. Holding on my waist is a good suggestion.
    Last edited by Nighthawk; 13th May 18 at 06:51 PM.

18. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Nighthawk For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast