X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
MacGregor and MacDuff Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Belgium, but moving back to UK imminently
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A Hay View Post
    I've been to Wales a few times. Lovely countryside. I have the St. David's tartan cilt also.

Tom Hays
    (A Hay!)
    Took me a while to get to like the Dewi Sant, but I think I was looking at original runs of the tartan. The 'new' colours seem much better and 'show' well now. Thanks for the welcome.
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am planning on getting a Welsh cilt in the Pritchard tartan ,as soon as they have the improved the material. Please tell us more about wearing the cilt in wales. How common is the cilt in Wales? Do the Welsh also wear Scottish tartans? Thank you.
    Last edited by tokareva; 16th May 18 at 10:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tokareva View Post
    I am planning on getting a Welsh cilt in the Pritchard tartan ,as soon as they have the improved the material. Please tell us more about wearing the cilt in wales. How common is the cilt in Wales? Do the Welsh also wear Scottish tartans? Thank you.
    Hi Tokareva. Thank you for the welcome. Not sure what you mean about the fabric? Scotweb (easy Google search) have the Pritchard tartan in their Welsh Tartans range (modern, hunting etc). It's a medium weight tartan, has no kilting selvedge but otherwise is great for kilts, and wider. Its Welsh origins clearly means an unusual approach to sett and to colour! Never had a problem with them as a supplier. Cilts in Cymru are on the up certainly, hence the Dewi Sant official tartan. I am not convinced there is any historical evidence supporting Welsh cilt wearing, but as with the other Celtic nations, it sure upsets the English ����. Our jackets, predominantly the Charlie are similar although the cuff and tail buttons have a swatch of the matching cilt tartan behind them. If like me, you wear several cilts you tend to go for a standard Scottish pattern. Additionally, eppoulettes are normally missing. We also tend to wear stand shoes (brogues) rather than gillies but it's personal choice. Let me know about the material thing in case I can help. As for Scottish tartans..... Not sure anyone would care/mind ��

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Blaidd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the board, from the dry side of Washington State!
    New thing I learned today, no K in the Welsh language... cool.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to somecallmeTim For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd View Post
    Hi Tokareva. Thank you for the welcome. Not sure what you mean about the fabric? Scotweb (easy Google search) have the Pritchard tartan in their Welsh Tartans range (modern, hunting etc). It's a medium weight tartan, has no kilting selvedge but otherwise is great for kilts, and wider. Its Welsh origins clearly means an unusual approach to sett and to colour! Never had a problem with them as a supplier. Cilts in Cymru are on the up certainly, hence the Dewi Sant official tartan. I am not convinced there is any historical evidence supporting Welsh cilt wearing, but as with the other Celtic nations, it sure upsets the English ����. Our jackets, predominantly the Charlie are similar although the cuff and tail buttons have a swatch of the matching cilt tartan behind them. If like me, you wear several cilts you tend to go for a standard Scottish pattern. Additionally, eppoulettes are normally missing. We also tend to wear stand shoes (brogues) rather than gillies but it's personal choice. Let me know about the material thing in case I can help. As for Scottish tartans..... Not sure anyone would care/mind ��
    Thank you for the info, Blaidd. When I say I'm waiting for the fabric to improve, I'm referring to the 14 oz WTC Welsh Tartan Centre fabric from Cambrian woolen mill. It is a very flimsy fabric, very airy and light, you can see a lot of light through it if held up against a light source. They are however in the process of updating it with higher quality wool, from my understanding.
    The kilt company I buy from gets their Welsh tartans from WTC.

Here is a link so you can see the specifics.

https://www.usakilts.com/gallery/13-...t-david-s/view

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tokareva For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Blaidd ... Welcome to XMTS. Ive been wearing Welsh Cilts (and others) full time now for over 8 years here in South Wales. Never any problem. Only on very rare occasion do you see anyone else wearing one. They are now very popular at weddings though and also on rugby international days. Im lucky the wife is fine with it. If your moving back to Wales we must try and meet up.
    Derek
    A Proud Welsh Cilt Wearer

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Derek For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tokareva View Post
    Thank you for the info, Blaidd. When I say I'm waiting for the fabric to improve, I'm referring to the 14 oz WTC Welsh Tartan Centre fabric from Cambrian woolen mill. It is a very flimsy fabric, very airy and light, you can see a lot of light through it if held up against a light source. They are however in the process of updating it with higher quality wool, from my understanding.
    The kilt company I buy from gets their Welsh tartans from WTC.

Here is a link so you can see the specifics.

https://www.usakilts.com/gallery/13-...t-david-s/view
    That's interesting. My original Pride of... came from there and it is heavy wool. I confess my Dewi Sant came from a 'more economical' supplier, so was unaware of any concerns. I look forward to any update!

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Blaidd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    Hi Blaidd ... Welcome to XMTS. Ive been wearing Welsh Cilts (and others) full time now for over 8 years here in South Wales. Never any problem. Only on very rare occasion do you see anyone else wearing one. They are now very popular at weddings though and also on rugby international days. Im lucky the wife is fine with it. If your moving back to Wales we must try and meet up.
    Derek
    Good to hear, Derek! I confess, I have never had any problems, in fact quite the opposite! I have posed for more photos in a Cilt than anything! It's good to know that popularity is growing - we could perhaps claim to be trail blazers! Would certainly enjoy meeting up...!
    Diolch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome from Southern California.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomak For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shwmae!

I have a Roberts (my last name), a Vaughn (it is the colors of my undergrad and i liked the look), and a Pride of Wales (one of those fashion tartans, that I bought for a wedding I was part of).

Happy cilting! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to WalesLax For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12