X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking for a high res vintage catalog picture

I'm wondering if anyone has a source for a high resolution version of this catalog photo:

I'm trying to get a better view of the bonnet which I thought I had seen as perhaps royal blue with saxe blue and white dicing but I want to verify that.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen that picture many times over the years and have never studied it closely. My passing thought when seeing the picture assumed it was perhaps a Lovat Scouts bonnet, or something quite similar.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I have seen that picture many times over the years and have never studied it closely. My passing thought when seeing the picture assumed it was perhaps a Lovat Scouts bonnet, or something quite similar.
    This is the picture that I thought looked blue but it's cropped and edited so it's lower resolution than might elucidate the matter. However, it does look blue to me in this picture.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me say right from the start I am no expert on colours, or pictures, or photography.

So I have always assumed that the picture in question was rather a nice artists impression rather than an actual photograph of an actual person. I am also quite familiar, nothing more, that older pictures being reprocessed over the years do not produce true colours when compared with the original due to the printing processes of the time . The colours of the dicing of your picture just do not ring true to my eyes. Of course I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

We used to see quite a few bonnets of the Lovat Scouts around this area at one time and from memory they look black from even a fairly close distance, but were to my young eyes at least actually a very dark blue black.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 30th May 18 at 01:40 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Let me say right from the start I am no expert on colours, or pictures, or photography.

So I have always assumed that the picture in question was rather a nice artists impression rather than an actual photograph of an actual person. I am also quite familiar, nothing more, that older pictures being reprocessed over the years do not produce true colours when compared with the original due to the printing processes of the time . The colours of the dicing of your picture just do not ring true to my eyes. Of course I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

We used to see quite a few bonnets of the Lovat Scouts around this area at one time and from memory they look black from even a fairly close distance, but were to my young eyes at least actually a very dark blue black.
    That's interesting. I thought the Lovat Scouts' bonnet was black. Your impression seems the correct one in light of that.

I had just thought it was an interesting combination of colors (my impression of dark blue with light blue and white dicing, regardless of the true colors of the photo).

You see I'm in the market for a robert mackie balmoral but haven't come to a decision on color, other than that I want the crown to be a darker blue (just not the so dark it looks black navy that is so common). I stumbled on that picture and wondered about it. I also like dicing but am not sure what combination I prefer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's also a question of light.
    If you tipe "lovat scouts bonnet" into that well known search engines box, you will find such bonnets that look blue and others black. And the only difference I see is the different light.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Carlo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    It's also a question of light.
    If you tipe "lovat scouts bonnet" into that well known search engines box, you will find such bonnets that look blue and others black. And the only difference I see is the different light.
    It's also likely that some of the catalog scans are from more faded copies and may represent a faded, dark blue/black.

Or the colors may have been changed slightly after scanning to brighten the picture. Who knows?
    Last edited by FossilHunter; 30th May 18 at 02:05 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it really matter what the original painted image might have shown? This isn't a historical figure you're trying to accurately portray, I'm assuming. It was just an advert. The image you are looking at today appears to be a dark blue crown with lighter blue in the dicing. Do you like that colour combination? If so, go for it. It will look great.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make no mistake the Lovat Scouts bonnet was far more black than most UK berets of the time. With the exception of the RTR(Royal Tank Regiment ) bonnets which are absolutely black and with no dicing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about this? It's a royal blue mackie bonnet and I filled in the dicing using the actual saxe blue from the mackie website.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saxe dicing small.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	34056

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast